What should I do with my M9 now?

Beresford

Advertisement (gone after registration)

8 hours ago, Beresford said:

Ah! I don't think I expressed myself clearly: My M9 is beginning to show signs of corrosion. Would anyone want it?

Given that fact, I would seriously consider Leica's offer:

In place of the sensor exchange we are offering new attractive conditions to our customers to trade in their camera with a defective sensor and purchase a current Leica camera model.

You could get a  Q2 for €2976 / €3571 (with VAT) or a  CL  with M-Adapter L for €1410 / €1692 (with VAT).  If film photography is your main interest these days, a Q2 or a CL would get you into a current generation digital Leica. 

Based on my own experience, I would highly recommend the Q2.

Edited by Herr Barnack

Guest BlackBarn
2 hours ago, farnz said:

'contractor' from Leica's Marketing Promises Division will knock on your front door

Nice one Pete and I suspect you’re right!

Mind you there would be smiles all round  if the Leica Executives  who approved the work from the ‘Marketing Promises Division’  knocked on the M9 owners front doors with a fat wallet and a bottle of plonk. You know the same Leica guys and Leica policy makers who are probably ducking their  nuts and chanting ‘ nothing to do with us mate...it’s marketing’.

15 hours ago, Beresford said:

my film Ms give me pleasure

As if film is so perfect these days. Which is not. There are many analogue products in the market since a year or two, and the amount of new products (with a nostalgic marketing strategy) still increases, especially in B&W, which are not seldom totally unpredictable in their results and hard to manage towards what they promise. As long as my M9 keeps working it is more reliable for predictable outcome than any film camera. I like film, don’t get me wrong, but it’s not more reliable than my M9.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 8/15/2020 at 10:45 AM, Beresford said:

There have been other threads about the rights and wrongs of Leica and their inability to replace the sensor. Now I have to acknowledge that my M9 is no longer a reliable camera. What should I do? I am not hugely attracted to the trade-in offers—I can't really afford to take them up, and I don't really want another camera which will become unrepairable some years down the line. Now that I am retired my film Ms give me pleasure.

So, do I just put my M9 on eBay and take what I can? Would any dealer take it in part exchange for, say, another lens?

Or do I just use it to keep the door ajar on windy days?

Get rid of it before it looses in price more and more. Just try to avoid eBay, they will rip you off with enormous fee after sale is done. Best is to sell it in person or via site supporting PayPal payment and not gauging with fees. Dealers will rip you off as well, btw, no difference from Leica trade in rip off at all. 

I have M-E 220 and M4-2 and they are just nice to have and use once in a while items.  Too rudimentary and non local service to depend on them where I'm. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2020 at 4:49 PM, Beresford said:

Your advice is straightforward - and helps me to move forward. That you.

Have you made a decision? It seems sensible to trade it whilst it still has value assuming you want another Leica (aren't Leica offering some kind of trade up to newer models as well)?

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I have found them extremely useful.

Buying and using a camera, and then making a photograph is a complex combination of tactile and emotional feelings as well as a scientific and aesthetic decision. (Not all conscious all of the time, thank goodness!). I have not wanted to make this a 'Which is better, digital or film?' discussion. It was simply, What to do with my M9?

I carefully considered (as several of you suggested) the Leica offer of a discount on a new camera. The CL looked tempting, and there are some lovely CL pictures here on this site—better than I am ever likely to take. But in the end I have decided just to sell the M9 for what I can get. Someone else, wanting to get a discount on a new camera may be pleased to use this one as part of the deal with Leica, whilst I (and this was the deciding factor) no longer have a camera which does not work properly and will only sit in a drawer making me feel bad.

William Morris said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" (that's me out on both counts...) I still have my lovely Leica lenses, and a couple of film bodies. I have really enjoyed viewing the photographs of Adam Miller who used to use this site, so I know how expressive film can be. And should I ever really badly need a digital Leica I am sure that penultimate iteration of the M camera will always be available.

Selling the M9 will be a sort of reverse GAS.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

17 minutes ago, Beresford said:

William Morris said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful"

Your M9 will be useful for taking pictures while the LCD functions.  And then it just be beautiful.

Pete.

• Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 7:11 PM, Beresford said:

Thank you all for your thoughts and advice. I have found them extremely useful.

Buying and using a camera, and then making a photograph is a complex combination of tactile and emotional feelings as well as a scientific and aesthetic decision. (Not all conscious all of the time, thank goodness!). I have not wanted to make this a 'Which is better, digital or film?' discussion. It was simply, What to do with my M9?

I carefully considered (as several of you suggested) the Leica offer of a discount on a new camera. The CL looked tempting, and there are some lovely CL pictures here on this site—better than I am ever likely to take. But in the end I have decided just to sell the M9 for what I can get. Someone else, wanting to get a discount on a new camera may be pleased to use this one as part of the deal with Leica, whilst I (and this was the deciding factor) no longer have a camera which does not work properly and will only sit in a drawer making me feel bad.

William Morris said, "Have nothing in your house that you do not know to be useful, or believe to be beautiful" (that's me out on both counts...) I still have my lovely Leica lenses, and a couple of film bodies. I have really enjoyed viewing the photographs of Adam Miller who used to use this site, so I know how expressive film can be. And should I ever really badly need a digital Leica I am sure that penultimate iteration of the M camera will always be available.

Selling the M9 will be a sort of reverse GAS.

Here is a thought, Film M's have become so highly sought after, especially the M6 and M7 that you could very easily sell the m9 along with one of your film Ms and pick up an M10 with the proceeds.

I guess I'd send it to Leica to replace the sensor before they have no more sensors. Not sure what that costs now. It cost me $1000 or so. I looked at the "trade-ins" and to me they amounted to giving them my M9 and more money than it would cost me to buy a nice used M10. Yes it was less than a brand new M10 from Leica, but it just wasn't very attractive a trade-in for me. I would have preferred a trade-in to a used model in their stores.

Just putting it in a drawer might result in a camera that no-body will want, whereas replacing the sensor (hopefully) will result in a camera with considerable service life left (assuming the new sensors are OK).

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Kwesi said:

Here is a thought, Film M's have become so highly sought after, especially the M6 and M7 that you could very easily sell the m9 along with one of your film Ms and pick up an M10 with the proceeds.

You are right. But I bought my M2 & my M3 off eBay, with broken shutters. Easily fixed by a competent repair man. So I have grown rather fond of them. And I have an M-A which I bought new, so I couldn't get rid of that. It is as if I have two 'adopted' Leicas and one 'birth' one. I mean, who could make such a decision? 

No! I appreciate your advice; but my mind is resolute. Anyway, it is time to stop worrying too much about equipment, and get out there making pictures. But thank you for your suggestion.

• Like 1

Taken another way of thinking, then !

Beresford, why worry ?

If you don't mind using the M9, just give it away (or for symbolic value) to somebody who would trade-in for another new digital M.

Enjoy your film M and "forget the M9".

12 minutes ago, a.noctilux said:

Taken another way of thinking, then !

Beresford, why worry ?

If you don't mind using the M9, just give it away (or for symbolic value) to somebody who would trade-in for another new digital M.

Enjoy your film M and "forget the M9".

It will cost those people less to just buy a used M10 from Tamarkin or KEH or B&H Photo or anyone really (even the Leica Miami store). 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, carbon_dragon said:

It will cost those people less to just buy a used M10 from Tamarkin or KEH or B&H Photo or anyone really (even the Leica Miami store). 

Maybe some people would like new M like M10-R or M10-M, not so easy to find sh , ...or whatever new M.

1 minute ago, a.noctilux said:

Maybe some people would like new M like M10-R or M10-M, not so easy to find sh , ...or whatever new M.

Yes that is possible. For me, as soon as I take it out and use it, it's "used" so I'd rather buy a used one in really nice condition. But other opinions may differ. M10s are pretty easy to find, probably not M10Ms or M10Rs. So if you want one of those, then the trade-in program might make sense. though you could probably wait a little bit of time and get it cheaper. I may be more sensitive to price than others and am willing to wait a year or two till the "new" model is not so new.

My suggestion for Beresford is following...

Beresford would loose money anyway, not wanting to trade-in,

giving M9 to somebody to trade-in, his M9 would have some value for the trade

for example in € ( link )

Upgrade from M9 | M-E

Upgrade Camera

excl./incl. 20% VAT

Leica M10*

€4124 / €4949

Leica M10-P

€4536 / €5444

Leica M10-R

€5101 / €6121

Leica M10 Monochrom

€5101 / €6121

Leica SL2 incl. M-Adapter L

€3844 / €4613

Leica Q2

€2976 / €3571

Leica CL incl. M-Adapter L

€1410 / €1692

Edited by a.noctilux

18 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

My suggestion for Beresford is following...

Beresford would loose money anyway, not wanting to trade-in,

giving M9 to somebody to trade-in, his M9 would have some value for the trade

for example in € ( link )

Upgrade from M9 | M-E

Upgrade Camera

excl./incl. 20% VAT

Leica M10*

€4124 / €4949

Leica M10-P

€4536 / €5444

Leica M10-R

€5101 / €6121

Leica M10 Monochrom

€5101 / €6121

Leica SL2 incl. M-Adapter L

€3844 / €4613

Leica Q2

€2976 / €3571

Leica CL incl. M-Adapter L

€1410 / €1692

If you read what he said, Beresford already took his decision, and it is the right one I think.

And I agree with carbon_dragon that the trade-in is not attractive at all. I rather sell the camera and buy a mint one. 

In fact, I wouldn't be so happy to keep giving my money to Leica if I was in that position. I might take it somewhere else.

• Like 1

As the above posts point out, if you want a camera which is not old enough to be available on the used market, such as a M10M or M10R, then you're essentially getting about $1000 for your M9 in trade (best case) for what I hope is a new M10R or M10M with all paperwork and gear and boxes that should come with. That seems to be the best possible outcome. Is $1000 enough? Well it may be fairly decent for a M9 with sensor trouble and an original sensor. An M9 with a new sensor could be worth as much as $2000-$4000 by current sold eBay prices. Thus replacing the sensor (if it is available) seems worth the expense. Once there are no more, I expect prices of at least original sensor M9s to go down.

Also if you're the type of person who wants that camera new with all the stuff, and you'd be paying $8200 for a M10, then $5900 for a new M10 is still pretty good. If you're happy with a premium used M10 (without the Leica full warranty which is a major issue), then you're kind of paying them $500 to dispose of your M9 for you in some sense. 

If the trade-in program also allowed you to trade for existing used equipment in their Leica online stores (rather than new), then it would better suit me personally. I ended up turning down the trade-in and having them repair my M9, replacing the sensor for about $1000 some time ago. I also had them 6-bit code 2 of my lenses at basically the same time. I was very satisfied with the result and was glad to have that option. I paid $6K for my M10 from Tamarkin and I've loved it since. Even $6K was a financial stretch for me and I probably couldn't have stretched to $8200. 

I have the perception that many Leica owners really have very little price sensitivity and find the current Leica prices more or less couch cushion change. Certainly moving up to digital Ms from my M2s was something of a trauma. ;-). They are pretty addictive though. So if you have enough money and really want a new R or M, go for it. If you really want a NEW M10 and have the extra money for it, OK. If you just want a new M to shoot with, an M9 or better, have the M's sensor replaced. If you really would like to update to a M10, I'd recommend getting the sensor replaced and then selling it and buying a used M10.

• Like 1