Leica FOTOS...Subscription to download DNG?

Mikep996

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Today I tried to download a DNG to the iPhone via Fotos and I got a (SURPRISE!)  message that I had to upgrade and pay a monthly subscription in order to download DNGs.  Downloading Jpegs is OK with the app but not DNG.  I saw no mention of that in the info about the App.  Am I missing something?    I can understand (well, not really) charging for an 'upgrade' to the program to be able to download DNGs to the phone, but to pay a monthly fee?  That's a bit MEAN of Leica!

FWIW, I would never use this capability for actual photo work. I was just curious about how long it would take for a DNG  transfer from the camera to the phone.  Guess I'll never know because I sure as heck am not going to pay a monthly subscription fee for the "upgrade."

Edited by Mikep996
  • Like 2

Thats a typical pinhead business move. Will generate extra 5k/year in revenue from that subscription for them. And piss of many more clients per year as a shortsighted greedy move. Some business suite must haft felt pretty proud in his excel sheet to monetize the software on a 8k$ camera. Ridiculous. 

• Like 2

I am not up to speed with this. Why would you download a DNG? Do you mean download from storage card inthe camera? Is that for security reasons or for backup? Where are your data after loading? Is that just on ypur phone or on the Leica backup server?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

"If true, this is a change—even as recently as two days ago I downloaded RAW files to my iPhone with Fotos, no subscription required.  Did you mean iPad rather than iPhone?"

Nope, my iPhone 11.  I just recently downloaded FOTOS.  Maybe there's been a change?  Leica makes a big point of how great this capability is so you DON"T have to pull the SD  card from the camera to download pics. In reality, if I'm going to process pics, it's much faster to insert the SD card directly into the computer.  

BUT...I suspect in a few years, SD cards will be gone and wifi or bluetooth downloading will be the standard method.  Sd cards will just be another "old tech" way of storing data.  The fact that Apple quit installing an SD card port in their MacBooks is pretty much a harbinger of that, as annoying as I find that to be!  I really miss the SD card port that my old MacBook air had and that my 2018 MacBook pro does not!  :(

vor 11 Minuten schrieb Mikep996:

BUT...I suspect in a few years, SD cards will be gone and wifi or bluetooth downloading will be the standard method.  Sd cards will just be another "old tech" way of storing data.  The fact that Apple quit installing an SD card port in their MacBooks is pretty much a harbinger of that, as annoying as I find that to be!  I really miss the SD card port that my old MacBook air had and that my 2018 MacBook pro does not!  :(

Yeah. That makes sense to replace cheap storage (card) with super expensive storage (phone). Needed three cards in the past, just take three phones now.... LOL.

• 2 weeks later...
Am 15.8.2020 um 15:14 schrieb onasj:

If true, this is a change—even as recently as two days ago I downloaded RAW files to my iPhone with Fotos, no subscription required.  Did you mean iPad rather than iPhone?

I recently contacted the support because of this. My wife installed the app. I was able to download the dng‘s she not.

the answer was:

all customers downloaded and installed the app after November 2019 have to pay for this feature. As well as the remote control.

I was shocked.

the most expensive cameras on the market and then charging for a function which the cheapest once offer for free. Bad move from Leica.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Am 15.8.2020 um 15:47 schrieb Ko.Fe.:

Maybe it is polite or prickly warning. IMO, downloading huge Leica DNG file on the phone is kind of pointless. 

No it is not.

And Leica is not the one to educate their customer I guess.

9 hours ago, Mefty said:

I recently contacted the support because of this. My wife installed the app. I was able to download the dng‘s she not.

the answer was:

all customers downloaded and installed the app after November 2019 have to pay for this feature. As well as the remote control.

I was shocked.

the most expensive cameras on the market and then charging for a function which the cheapest once offer for free. Bad move from Leica.

That's pathetic, if the customer rep is correct.  How much could Leica possibly make from crippling their own app in this way?  I doubt it will be worth the number of cameras fewer they sell each month as a result.

On 8/27/2020 at 6:27 AM, onasj said:

That's pathetic, if the customer rep is correct.  How much could Leica possibly make from crippling their own app in this way?  I doubt it will be worth the number of cameras fewer they sell each month as a result.

The customer rep is partly wrong.  You don't have to pay for remote.  I qwonder why they don't know more about the app (and do something to make it work).

On 8/26/2020 at 8:13 PM, Mefty said:

No it is not.

And Leica is not the one to educate their customer I guess.

Depends on the amount of spare time that you have got... The only point I see is getting one shot into the cloud. I wonder. what happened to USB card readers - about 100x as fast.

On 8/15/2020 at 4:06 PM, Mikep996 said:

"If true, this is a change—even as recently as two days ago I downloaded RAW files to my iPhone with Fotos, no subscription required.  Did you mean iPad rather than iPhone?"

Nope, my iPhone 11.  I just recently downloaded FOTOS.  Maybe there's been a change?  Leica makes a big point of how great this capability is so you DON"T have to pull the SD  card from the camera to download pics. In reality, if I'm going to process pics, it's much faster to insert the SD card directly into the computer.  

But that my Satechi USB-C hub has. A hub is mandatory on present-day Macbooks with their sparse interface layout anyway.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb jaapv:

Depends on the amount of spare time that you have got... The only point I see is getting one shot into the cloud. I wonder. what happened to USB card readers - about 100x as fast.

Ask this photo journalists for example which like to send their pictures to the press. The quicker you do this these days the better your chances that your photo will be picked. And this means: Money.

This is only one reason. But still I think: This is a very bad and pathetic move from Leica.

• Like 1

vor 22 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

The customer rep is partly wrong.  You don't have to pay for remote.  I qwonder why they don't know more about the app (and do something to make it work).

That is for you and me true. I installed the app before November 2019 and I can do all this. But new customer or user who do install the app after 2019 do have to pay. My wife and my blog partner do have these problems.

The customer rep is not wrong. This is fact.

1 hour ago, Mefty said:

That is for you and me true. I installed the app before November 2019 and I can do all this. But new customer or user who do install the app after 2019 do have to pay. My wife and my blog partner do have these problems.

The customer rep is not wrong. This is fact.

I have the latest version of the app  There is no problem using the remote function in M10 or SL2.  I checked it most recently in Android, but I believe it is also true in iOS.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick
  • Like 1

vor 21 Minuten schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

I have the latest version of the app  There is no problem using the remote function in M10 or SL2.  I checked it most recently in Android, but I believe it is also true in iOS.

Please read carefully. It is not because of the version it is if you have installed the former version (before Nov 2019).

you can try it your self. Ask anybody who has this app not installed yet to install it. Then you will see.

Edited by Mefty

1 hour ago, Mefty said:

Ask this photo journalists for example which like to send their pictures to the press. The quicker you do this these days the better your chances that your photo will be picked. And this means: Money.

This is only one reason. But still I think: This is a very bad and pathetic move from Leica.

I'm sure a PJ will have a laptop with him. In an extreme lightweight/stealth situation, he'll be shooting a phone, not a camera.

vor 8 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

I'm sure a PJ will have a laptop with him. In an extreme lightweight/stealth situation, he'll be shooting a phone, not a camera.

Mmmh okay, I see there are some don‘t see any issue with Leicas move..

My opinion differs. Fine for me.