To keep the Q2 or not?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/15/2020 at 12:06 AM, Dr. G said:

I don’t use the macro function on the Q2, so other than the size and focal length, I don’t know what I’m actually gaining by keeping it along side the SL2/35mm combination.

Any thoughts?

If you don’t use macro, it’s just size, weight, and focal length. Other than that, the SL2 with the 35mm Summicron SL can meet or exceed the Q2 in every performance specification. The SL2 also beets the Q in terms of ergonomics and viewfinder.  The Q2 is no slouch, but the SL2  is better.

Size, weight, and focal length are not minor differences, but if they aren’t relevant to you, by all means get rid of the Q. Personally, I find the Q is the better choice for things like family events, travel, or just tossing in a bag for the day when I have nothing in particular planned. That is specifically BECAUSE of the size, weight, and focal length. Your habits may well be different.

27 minutes ago, Jared said:

Other than that, the SL2 with the 35mm Summicron SL can meet or exceed the Q2 in every performance specification. The SL2 also beets the Q in terms of ergonomics and viewfinder.  The Q2 is no slouch, but the SL2  is better.

To me the Q2 is also wining the game when it comes to focusing. Manual focusing on L lenses is not really good, while it's just perfect on the Q2. It allows you to stay away from the autofocus while it's almost impossible on the SL2. I try to do inflight cockpit shots with the VE 90-280 on the SL2, it never ever works, manual or autofocus.. But all other SL lenses have this imprecise manual focusing flaw. So there again the Q2 wins, and obviously so does any M.

6 hours ago, snooper said:

To me the Q2 is also wining the game when it comes to focusing. Manual focusing on L lenses is not really good, while it's just perfect on the Q2. It allows you to stay away from the autofocus while it's almost impossible on the SL2. I try to do inflight cockpit shots with the VE 90-280 on the SL2, it never ever works, manual or autofocus.. But all other SL lenses have this imprecise manual focusing flaw. So there again the Q2 wins, and obviously so does any M.

I have no such focus problems using SL lenses (24-90, 90-280 or 75) on my SL2.  I set it to back button AF (decoupling focus from shutter release), with automatic magnification by a manual twist of the focus ring. No focus peaking, which just clutters the VF.  Pressing shutter release brings back full view. Easy and accurate for my needs.

Jeff

9 hours ago, snooper said:

Interesting. I would have said the AF is as good on the SL2 as it is on the Q2, though I agree the Q2 is easier to focus manually than an SL2 with an AF lens. I’m looking forward to when Leica updates the SL2 firmware to allow linear manual focus. I know 5is feature is aimed at videographers doing manual focus pulls, but I expect it will help me with stills as well. I’ve never liked variable rate focus-by-wire.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Jeff S said:

I have no such focus problems using SL lenses (24-90, 90-280 or 75) on my SL2.  I set it to back button AF (decoupling focus from shutter release), with automatic magnification by a manual twist of the focus ring. No focus peaking, which just clutters the VF.  Pressing shutter release brings back full view. Easy and accurate for my needs.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, I also tried "your way" but it does not work at least inflight. We often cross some 'trafic' (other aircraft) and it would be nice to be able to take pictures, but unfortunately with the 90-280 (the lens to do such pictures) there is no way you can get focus, either auto or manual. Maybe the thickness of the shield...

Sometimes, when you have condensation behind an aircraft, you can get close to some focus, probably because the contrast is better.. It's not a motion blur as both aircraft are roughly flying at the same speed so the relative movement is very tiny. In the example bellow shutter is at 1/6400 for 100 ISO. It's just that the manual focus is really "loose" on the SL lenses, while there is obviously no possible mistake with a Q or a M. Also the stabilisation might be an issue. At the end of the day you get much better inflight results with an iPhone than with a SL2. And after the flight you can't call home with the SL2. 😂

But generally speaking, I really dont see how M/Q users could appreciate manual focus on the SL2, while I dont see how Canon / Sony users would appreciate autofocus on the SL2. That SL focusing method is only cool for M users who want to try an ersatz of autofocus, a kind of "sample" before they get the real thing with the EOS R5.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by snooper

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thankfully, I never take pics in-flight, and the SL2 focuses perfectly fine... AF and MF... for my subject matter. We each have our own tastes and preferences, and hopefully find the most suitable tools for the task.  I tested multiple systems before choosing the SL2; so far it hasn’t disappointed.  I use the M system for complementary purposes and experiences.  Doesn’t bother me what each system can’t do; the pleasure comes from what each can do.  

Jeff

8 hours ago, snooper said:

Thanks Jeff, I also tried "your way" but it does not work at least inflight. We often cross some 'trafic' (other aircraft) and it would be nice to be able to take pictures, but unfortunately with the 90-280 (the lens to do such pictures) there is no way you can get focus, either auto or manual. Maybe the thickness of the shield...

Sometimes, when you have condensation behind an aircraft, you can get close to some focus, probably because the contrast is better.. It's not a motion blur as both aircraft are roughly flying at the same speed so the relative movement is very tiny. In the example bellow shutter is at 1/6400 for 100 ISO. It's just that the manual focus is really "loose" on the SL lenses, while there is obviously no possible mistake with a Q or a M. Also the stabilisation might be an issue. At the end of the day you get much better inflight results with an iPhone than with a SL2. And after the flight you can't call home with the SL2. 😂

But generally speaking, I really dont see how M/Q users could appreciate manual focus on the SL2, while I dont see how Canon / Sony users would appreciate autofocus on the SL2. That SL focusing method is only cool for M users who want to try an ersatz of autofocus, a kind of "sample" before they get the real thing with the EOS R5.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I went from the a7r iv to the SL2.  The autofocus doesn't compare, no - but the image quality, to my eyes, with the APO Summicron-SL lens leaves the a7r iv far behind.  If I need fast AF for nature/sports I have my a9ii.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dr. G said:

I went from the a7r iv to the SL2.  The autofocus doesn't compare, no - but the image quality, to my eyes, with the APO Summicron-SL lens leaves the a7r iv far behind.  If I need fast AF for nature/sports I have my a9ii.

Fully agree. Had an A7rIII for Antarctica missions and sold it right away. But the topic here is all about the Q2, and IMHO it's the desert island camera, the one you'd take if you were only allowed 1 camera. I could give up my SL gear, but I would keep the Q2 and the M10M no matter what. Who would like to acquire a complete SL2 kit for a good price ? 😂

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snooper said:

Fully agree. Had an A7rIII for Antarctica missions and sold it right away. But the topic here is all about the Q2, and IMHO it's the desert island camera, the one you'd take if you were only allowed 1 camera. I could give up my SL gear, but I would keep the Q2 and the M10M no matter what. Who would like to acquire a complete SL2 kit for a good price ?

Jeff, LOVE your insta photos. I'm getting my pilots license at moment and will hopefully do some of that one day :)

But with the above photo on the plane with the trails behind it, couldn't you grab it with the SL2 with AFC / tracking, half focus on the plane to grab it with tracking then focus/recompose (with the sl2 holding it in afc) - this is like a rudimentary version of how I'd do it on a sony a9.

A plane was doing loops over our house recently and I did this and it seemed to work fine.

cheers

Gav