To keep the Q2 or not?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I guess it’s not a bad problem to have, all things considered, but I’m having a hard time deciding if I should sell the Q2 or not.  I keep thinking 28mm isn’t my preferred focal length, yet the images I get from the Q2 are always amazing.  The monkey wrench is that I just picked up the 35mm APO Summicron_SL for the SL2 and 28 is very close to 35.  Yes, they’re two different form factors, but I always have my bag with me anyway.  I don’t use the macro function on the Q2, so other than the size and focal length, I don’t know what I’m actually gaining by keeping it along side the SL2/35mm combination.

Any thoughts?

I have an SL and several Ms. I have one native SL lens, the 75mm because the 35 wasn’t out yet. The SL is a big, heavy body with big native lenses.

If you like 35mm as much as I do and don’t mind the size/weight but can only have one, you have your answer. 

The Q2 is just a great grab and go camera. Mine is with me all the time, especially in situations where I wouldn’t want a larger camera or camera bag and I seem to get some of my best images on those occasions. Just a thought......

Edited by PaulJS
  • Like 1

I think answered your own question:  " I keep thinking 28mm isn’t my preferred focal length"

For me 28mm focal length is ideal - so I thoroughly enjoy using my Q2.  Having a nice camera is half the equation - you have to ENJOY using it.  It appears that you harbor some innate apprehension about the focal length.  Sell it and buy something you will enjoy using everyday

I just sold my Q. The 28mm fixed just wasn’t my thing. I had stepped into Fuji with a x100s to see how 35mm fixed felt. It works for me. I jumped up to X100F upon release of the X100V with great savings.

I sold my Q for more than I paid and have no regrets. In fact it put some cushion in my camera fund. The Q files were beautiful but shooting landscapes I noticed a lot of distortion and the loose on-off switch, diopter slop, and potential dust intrusion issue made the decision final.

Great time to sell as it still is in much demand.

Granted this a Q, never had the$$$ for the Q2

Edited by codocee
Additional info

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 49 Minuten schrieb codocee:

I just sold my Q. The 28mm fixed just wasn’t my thing. I had stepped into Fuji with a x100s to see how 35mm fixed felt. It works for me. I jumped up to X100F upon release of the X100V with great savings.

I sold my Q for more than I paid and have no regrets. In fact it put some cushion in my camera fund. The Q files were beautiful but shooting landscapes I noticed a lot of distortion and the loose on-off switch, diopter slop, and potential dust intrusion issue made the decision final.

Granted this a Q, never had the$$$ for the Q2. 

Fuji is great. No doubt.

Are you still interested in Leica? Why is that?

31 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

Fuji is great. No doubt.

Are you still interested in Leica? Why is that?

I love the glass and sensors. I just don’t have the financial means to address any unforeseen issues that Leica has thrown me in the past with there bodies. 

I have settled for using a Sony A7RIII for my extensive lens collection, both Leica and others. It has turned out to be the most viable solution, taking into account both cost and utility. Not a bad sensor really!

I actually was considering a used 262, but I recently checked out a M 240 and the files didn’t wow me. The sensors are the same I believe and I read of lockup’s on these bodies as well. I had M8’s and M9’s and both bodies were problematic for me requiring trips and time to N.J. 
There is no perfect utopia!

• 3 weeks later...

This weekend doing a wide range of photography, indoor and outdoor, had tree cameras. Took about 350 images with my Q2, about 150 with my M10 (using 3 lenses) and three rolls of film with an M6. 

A pretty good measure of the Q2 utility, I had a Q from the launch day in June 2015 and upgraded last July. I just love using it and find the ergonomics better than M. 

On 8/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, Dr. G said:

I don’t use the macro function on the Q2, so other than the size and focal length, I don’t know what I’m actually gaining by keeping it along side the SL2/35mm combination.

it's just size. I have SL2 with the 35/2 as well - and it's a wonderful setup - but it is nice just slinging the Q2 over a shoulder and taking off.

I do genuinely wish though the Q2 was a proper 35mm lens. Yeah I can crop, but I'd prefer it to be 35 to begin with.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:06 PM, Dr. G said:

I guess it’s not a bad problem to have, all things considered, but I’m having a hard time deciding if I should sell the Q2 or not.  I keep thinking 28mm isn’t my preferred focal length, yet the images I get from the Q2 are always amazing.  The monkey wrench is that I just picked up the 35mm APO Summicron_SL for the SL2 and 28 is very close to 35.  Yes, they’re two different form factors, but I always have my bag with me anyway.  I don’t use the macro function on the Q2, so other than the size and focal length, I don’t know what I’m actually gaining by keeping it along side the SL2/35mm combination.

Any thoughts?

if it's not for you, then it's not for you! There are many many good things not suitable for you. Not your fault!

Don't have to look around what others think!

On 8/15/2020 at 12:06 AM, Dr. G said:

Any thoughts?

I would urge you to keep the Q2

Your 35mm APO Summicron SL is for a different platform, your SL2.  Given that, the Q2's 28mm Summilux is not redundant to your 35mm Summicron.  Two different lenses, two different cameras.

...the images I get from the Q2 are always amazing...

That alone is reason enough to keep the Q2.

Another reason to keep the Q2 is that it's paid for.  Trade/sell it and 6 months down the road you will be calling yourself names that would make an oil rig worker blush and getting ready to upchuck another 5000 Balboas to replace it.  I have played that game more than once and have finally caught on to the futility of it.  Don't throw that set of dice - the house will always win.

One of the most obscure, elusive and enigmatic skills in all of Leicadom is the divination of when to keep a camera or lens and when to trade/sell it.  Always err on the side of caution.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 6

21 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

it's paid for.  Trade/sell it and 6 months down the road you will be cussing yourself and getting ready to upchuck another $5000 American to replace it.  I have played that game more than once and I have finally caught on to the futility of it.

Oh I thought it was only me

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

4 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Trade/sell it and 6 months down the road you will be calling yourself names that would make an oil rig worker blush and getting ready to upchuck another 5000 Balboas to replace it.  I have played that game more than once and have finally caught on to the futility of it.  Don't throw that set of dice - the house will always win.

I'm not alone then :):)

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

On 9/10/2020 at 9:49 PM, Herr Barnack said:

I would urge you to keep the Q2. 

Your 35mm APO Summicron SL is for a different platform, your SL2.  Given that, the Q2's 28mm Summilux is not redundant to your 35mm Summicron.  Two different lenses, two different cameras.

That alone is reason enough to keep the Q2.

Another reason to keep the Q2 is that it's paid for.  Trade/sell it and 6 months down the road you will be calling yourself names that would make an oil rig worker blush and getting ready to upchuck another 5000 Balboas to replace it.  I have played that game more than once and have finally caught on to the futility of it.  Don't throw that set of dice - the house will always win.

One of the most obscure, elusive and enigmatic skills in all of Leicadom is the divination of when to keep a camera or lens and when to trade/sell it.  Always err on the side of caution.

I went through the same thought process re:my Q   

the thing that kept the Q in my bag -were 2 thoughts 1/ it is paid for 2/ the lens and the IQ  

whenever I have GAS  (like this week) I keep coming back to 1 & 2 above

best of luck 

Am 15.8.2020 um 06:06 schrieb Dr. G:

Any thoughts?

Compared to the Q / Q2, the SL2 is far too heavy and unwieldy. A fixed focal length is a challenge for the photographer. A good and creative challenge. Take it and you will see that the Q is a very good, versatile camera.

Keep them. Absolutely

Am 16.8.2020 um 19:30 schrieb codocee:

Granted this a Q, never had the$$$ for the Q2. 

With the 28mm of the Q you can crop the picture until it is roughly 35mm. Or simulate the 35mm. It doesn't work the other way around .....