M10M for Landscapes

jplomley

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m close to pulling the trigger on the M10M for B&W landscapes. For color work I have the SL2 with 16-35 SVE and 75 APO L. For M glass I have the 21 SEM, 28 Cron Asph v2, 35 Lux FLE and 50 Lux Asph that I currently use for street. I’m curious how these lenses might perform stopped down between f8-11 on the M10M sensor, and how that resolution might compare to my SL2 with L glass. Is anyone using their M10M for landscape applications and making fine art prints. Would love to hear your experiences. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

I would not consider myself a landscape photographer and any print I make is for home display - but I have enjoyed using my 21mm SEM on my M10M.  Anyway, a very mixed bag of subjects and results from putting my recently arrived 21 SEM to the test can be seen in this Flickr set.

I agree that those pictures are very nice.  Did you use filters on your 21 SEM?

Just now, ymc226 said:

I agree that those pictures are very nice.  Did you use filters on your 21 SEM?

Thanks. Filter?  Mostly orange, sometimes medium yellow. I've (probably) added a relevant tag to most of the Flickr selection.

I have no issues making nice prints (not monster size)with my original Monochrom, including occasional landscapes (broad and intimate, city and rural), so I can’t imagine any problems with the M10M.  I also have an M10 and SL2 and use them interchangeably for a variety of subject matter, although I rely on the SL2 for anything beyond 28-50.  IQ hasn’t been an issue... even with my prior M8.2.  Depends on one’s needs and tastes.

Jeff

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Jplomley,  I use the M10-M for my commercial landscape photography business.  The camera and M lenses are superb.  My clients are very demanding for detail and very large prints.  I create 4' X 6' B&W prints and larger and have nothing but very high praise for the camera and M lenses.  Tonal range and detail is often breath taking according to my clients.  The M10-R is the same way. I found my clients did not like the "too perfect" rendering of the excellent SL2 and SL lenses and wanted more natural rendering and color.  When I did use M lenses on the SL2, I did not stop down below f/8 for highest resolution, only when I needed more DOF.  BTW, I sold the SL2 system and now only use the M10-M + R and S3 systems.  My business requires that I photograph landscapes in very remote and often environmentally harsh conditions.  The S3 does the bulk of my work for very large and detailed print requirements from my clients.  Only when I am challenged by the remoteness of the hike do I take the M cameras.  In all cases, it gets down to your personal tastes and expectations what your genre of photography and how you want to create your photographs.   I hope this helps.  r/ Mark

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keith (M) said:

I would not consider myself a landscape photographer and any print I make is for home display - but I have enjoyed using my 21mm SEM on my M10M.  Anyway, a very mixed bag of subjects and results from putting my recently arrived 21 SEM to the test can be seen in this Flickr set.

Beautiful images, Keith!  They me want to mount my 21 S/E on my M10M and see what happens.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

LEICA m10m 21mm 10 ND filter

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• 7 months later...

jplomley - I am now where you were back in August but I am torn between the M10 M and the Hasselblad 907x. I have sufficient lenses for both the M series and the V system but will need to invest in a new printer.  Did you ever pull the trigger and what are your thoughts if you did?

The cost of the M10 M is ludicrous but having the M7 and MP (having sold the M240 and I may well sell the MP to subsidise the M10 M) the temptation of digital B&W images would be a natural progression for me. However, for landscapes and architecture photography the 907x would complement my V system.

I have read a few threads where users are happy with the quality of digital prints from the M10 M (some being as good as darkroom printing) but is the quality of the rendering better than can be gained from converting colour images to B&W? All very subjective I know.

I would be pleased to hear from others and their experiences of M10 M for landscape/ architecture (and any 907x users as well!).

7 hours ago, dgc said:

jplomley - I am now where you were back in August but I am torn between the M10 M and the Hasselblad 907x. I have sufficient lenses for both the M series and the V system but will need to invest in a new printer.  Did you ever pull the trigger and what are your thoughts if you did?

The cost of the M10 M is ludicrous but having the M7 and MP (having sold the M240 and I may well sell the MP to subsidise the M10 M) the temptation of digital B&W images would be a natural progression for me. However, for landscapes and architecture photography the 907x would complement my V system.

I have read a few threads where users are happy with the quality of digital prints from the M10 M (some being as good as darkroom printing) but is the quality of the rendering better than can be gained from converting colour images to B&W? All very subjective I know.

I would be pleased to hear from others and their experiences of M10 M for landscape/ architecture (and any 907x users as well!).

I got the M10M just as COVID hit last year, and instead of using it for street&travel, ended up being mostly landscape (and cats) due to the circumstances.

Here are all my photos tagged m10m if you want to browse - https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=xx573v3xx&tags=leicam10monochrom&sort=date-posted-desc

I’ve been quite happy, the resolution is high, the low light sensitivity is great..the form factor and quietness are awesome.

• Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, SrMi said:

Clyde Butcher uses sometimes a Leica M10M.

😳 Wow!  That is some endorsement of the M10 Monochrom!

@jplomley I have dabbled in shooting landscapes with my M10 Mono.  I can't see any conceivable way a person could be disappointed with this camera.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2

On 3/29/2021 at 9:25 AM, SrMi said:

Clyde Butcher uses sometimes a Leica M10M.

On 3/29/2021 at 10:12 AM, Herr Barnack said:

😳 Wow!  That is some endorsement of the M10 Monochrom!

@jplomley I have dabbled in shooting landscapes with my M10 Mono.  I can't see any conceivable way a person could be disappointed with this camera.

Yes, I recently heard an interview where he said the M10M is mostly what he uses, due to weight (of camera, not his!) and he's getting up there.  He had nothing but praise for the camera.

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Likaleica said:

Yes, I recently heard an interview where he said the M10M is mostly what he uses, due to weight (of camera, not his!) and he's getting up there.  He had nothing but praise for the camera.

He only switched to small digital cameras, instead of his favored large format film view cameras, as a result of significant mobility issues following his latest stroke in 2017.  So, unfortunately, his weight did play a role.

Jeff

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Jeff S said:

He only switched to small digital cameras, instead of his favored large format film view cameras, as a result of significant mobility issues following his latest stroke in 2017.  So, unfortunately, his weight did play a role.

Jeff

Thank goodness he recovered! His B&W prints are sublime, always wanted to take a workshop with Mr. Butcher back when I was shooting 4x5. The M10M would be a very interesting proposition for this subject material. Would be difficult to resist a color interpretation as well.....

15 minutes ago, jplomley said:

Thank goodness he recovered! His B&W prints are sublime, always wanted to take a workshop with Mr. Butcher back when I was shooting 4x5. The M10M would be a very interesting proposition for this subject material. Would be difficult to resist a color interpretation as well.....

He was a color photographer early on, then lost a son, immersed himself in nature and switched to b/w.  I’ve admired his work (including darkroom skills), and conservation efforts, for many years, especially when I too was shooting 4x5 b/w.  A respected photo dealer friend of mine was similarly impressed when I long ago introduced his work to her.  He has remarkably hung in there, despite various health setbacks.

Jeff

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1