There’s a minus .5 diopter built into M viewfinders (for 2m virtual focus distance).  If you can’t get to a Leica store, just order a few and return the rest.  Leica Miami encourages it.  Or do what I did and visit a local optician that stocks trial diopters and bring your camera along.  After quickly determining proper strength, you’ll know what to order.

Jeff

Hello Reynolds,

Leica M viewfinder is factory "adjusted" (by construction), mainly focussing patch and LED/frame lines to be viewed at 2m (-0.5 diopter).

So, I think that if you need +2 diopter for reading ( let's say 0.5m ), you may need another diopter than +2.

May it be +2.5 or +1.5, difficult advice without trying.

I invite you going to your optician with the Leica M, then have a lens test with her/him to know which diopter is best.

If you are near a Leica Store, it's better yet to choose your diopter there.

Arnaud

edit: same view as Jeff !

Edited by a.noctilux

Just be sure to correct for any astigmatism first...particularly important with RF focusing.  I wear glasses for both astigmatism and distance, but still benefit from a +.5 diopter to help aging eyes.  Small differences can optimize your experience.

Jeff

On 8/14/2020 at 7:27 PM, reynoldsyoung said:

Wish my new M10 Mono had the diopter adjustment of my Q2!!  I use +2 reading glasses and ordered a +2 diopter for the M....not even close.  Do you guys have any advice for the right diopter?  Lost in space!!  Ha

Just like yourself, I had double cataract surgery 2 years ago, completely eliminating my previous severe astigmatism and giving me excellent distance vision.  Also like you, +2 is my preferred reading glass strength.  For work on my computer monitor (a large 27 inch one), I use +1.5 glasses.

Now for the Leica finder. Like Jeff said, it shows the frame lines and focussing patch at a virtual distance of 2 meters, so one´s normal reading glasses are too strong for the purpose.  I can (just) focus reasonably, if hesitantly, without any correction, but +1 correction lenses work perfectly for me.  I have one on each of my Leica M´s (M9 and MM).

Edited by elgenper

So helpful!  I went by the DC Leica Store and a VERY patient associate let me try every diopter in the house.  Strangely, we settled on adding a -1 when cleared things up for me.  I still struggle with focusing...but, I am getting there now with everyones' help!  Many thanks!!!

If you still have difficulty with RF focusing, you might check to be sure both camera and lens are properly calibrated.  This can be done by comparing Live View (what the sensor captures) with the RF focus patch (using careful tripod setup... to test at different distances and apertures).

A tip, to promote consistency, is to keep your lens focused at infinity when not in use so that you’re always focusing in the same direction.  Best to avoid back and forth turning.  This forum FAQ might provide some other useful tips...

Jeff

Edited by Jeff S