DAG Camera Repair

Good To Be Retired

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just have had my 2nd experience with DAG Camera in the last 6 months and both were outstanding. The most recent was a rebuild in a 1958 M2, he did an amazing job!! the total time from shipping to receiving was about 4 weeks, I was expecting a much longer turn around time.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered a spare item for a film Leica, Don contacted me immediatelly via email and shipped this out in the form we agreed. All positive from me, item arrived fast.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3

• 8 months later...
9 hours ago, cbass said:

Does he have different prices for repeat clients?

I asked for a quote for a CLA and he quoted me $200. Then I see someone with the same lens that paid $100 for their CLA the same month that just got it back.

Probably varies by work required.  Smarter to quote high and ultimately charge less than to exceed quote.  I’ve always found his charges reasonable, lower than Leica service and with better results.

Jeff

I have had a great number of lenses CLA'd by Don with mostly great results, although this year he has raised his CLA cost for a lens from $200 to $300 even if it just needs fresh grease which I find a bit on the high side yet he is knowledgeable and quite fast so all in all a good choice. 

I was quoted $250 ea for the two lenses I sent to him (a LTM Nikkor 5cm 1.4 and a Cron DR) back in February. Got them returned back to be this week quoted just about the same price, with $250 for the Nikkor and $225 for the DR. He could have needed to raise rates, which is understandable considering he's still extremely busy. First time using his services, and I'm really itching to try out the DR as I never got to use it! 

Edited by Mech-Dragon

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve had good experiences dealing with Don directly. I’ve called  him in advance to discuss service, rate and timing, and he’s met or exceeded expectations.  But I did send a lens to a dealer for consignment in February, and they decided to send it to DAG before sale for a CLA.  He’s had it since then despite two dealer calls to expedite repair.  Disappointing, but I suspect he’s overloaded, and that some repair orders get quicker attention than others, which is why I prefer dealing directly rather than through third party.

Jeff

• Like 2

Interesting on price variances as I sent about 20 lenses in the past few years and 8 just this past months lenses ranging from German V4 35 Summicron, 35 1.4 pre-asph Summilux both I had owned since new and had barely been used and only needed fish grease and both were $300 each, then 3 - F Noctilux's $300 each again, a 50 1.4 pre-asph $300 etc all the same $300 so I'm not sure why you were able to get so much better pricing but good for you. I do get them back quickly within two weeks for what thats worth. 

I've been using Don since the mid 90's when I first started using Leica's. I either call or email, and he always provides an approximate turn around time, plus cost estimate. I just recently had an aperture ring start sliding on my 28 f2 SUMMICRON. I emailed Don, got a reply in a couple of days, shipped the lens off, and had it back within ten days. I will never begrudge Don for charging whatever, be it a body or lens repair. Remember, you are not the only person sending him work.

• Like 1

On 6/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, insideline said:

Interesting on price variances as I sent about 20 lenses in the past few years and 8 just this past months lenses ranging from German V4 35 Summicron, 35 1.4 pre-asph Summilux both I had owned since new and had barely been used and only needed fish grease and both were $300 each, then 3 - F Noctilux's $300 each again, a 50 1.4 pre-asph $300 etc all the same $300 so I'm not sure why you were able to get so much better pricing but good for you. I do get them back quickly within two weeks for what thats worth. 

How smooth is the focusing after the application of fish grease? 😂

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, insideline said:

You both are priceless, but I deserved it. You never know Don might just use some exotic form of marine grease to lube these lenses, but I suspect not. 

Using fish grease makes it easier to get good cat photos! 🤣

• Haha 1

Don explained to me that he still has a reserve of the old Leitz grease. It fixed the sticky focus action on my 50 Summilux ASPH, while an attempt by Leica NJ, using the newly formulated grease, did not. Some here told me that sounded ‘fishy’, but I trust Don.

Jeff

• Haha 1

I had a pretty fast turnaround on a lens last year from Don, and it came back perfect.  

One thing I'd recommend to keep in mind:  Read his instructions on how to send your stuff, and then follow them.  Write a detailed description of the problem, if any.  Make your shipment a complete package of item, written description, and your name, address, phone, and email, packaged such that it doesn't take him a half-hour to unwrap the bloody thing.  If he can open the box and get the full picture in one shot, I suspect that will get you your stuff back a lot faster 😉 

I just had an email exchange with Don today.  He got back to me within minutes of my sending the initial request.  He quoted $265 for a complete CLA on a 1997 80-200-R f/4 ROM.  It is cosmetically perfect and works fine except for some very faint haze around the edge of the middle element.  It doesn't affect the images (yet) and it will be easier to fix it now rather than later.  

The $265 cost is reasonable; about what I expected.  He says these lenses are a bigger job to fix and if he can fix it along with the lube & adjustments the cost is fine with me.  

Edited by Camaro5