CL STUCK IN VIEWFINDER MODE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Recently, my lightly used CL has been having viewfinder issues. When I turn it on it opens in the LCD mode as soon as I take a photo, it stays in the eyepiece /viewfinder mode even when I move my eye away. I have adjusted the sensitivity to auto, light, etc.  The only way it returns to the screen is by Turing the camera off/on again.

This has reduced the enjoyment of the CL for me. Is anyone else seeing this chronic issue and is there a fix short of sending the CL back to the Leica (NJ) "hospital" for weeks.....and repair expense?

Hope someone has an answer-my local Leica dealer was without an explanation.

I have had  this issue with my CL. I don’t know if you already tried this but.. The sensor on what EVF is really small and gets dirty very easily. Cleaning it on my CL fixes the problem 90% of the time. The other issue that happens on mine is that the rubber ring around the EVF sometimes get moved from bouncing around in the camera bag. I’ve had to push it back into place because it was blocking EVF sensor. I hope this helps

Ted

Edited by MDCT
Spelling
  • Like 3

5 minutes ago, MDCT said:

I have had  this issue with my CL. I don’t know if you already tried this but.. The sensor on what EVF is really small and gets dirty very easily. Cleaning it on my CL fixes the problem 90% of the time. The other issue that happens on mine is that the rubber ring around the EVF sometimes get moved from bouncing around in the camera bag. I’ve had to push it back into place because it was blocking EVF sensor. I hope this helps

Ted

Excellent and accurate response.

Clean the sensor, little box above the viewfinder. But mine had a faulty sensor, was forever cleaning it, took the little cleaning wipes with me while out with the camera. After some back and forth with Leica NJ, they took the camera in (on warranty) and replaced the sensor, haven't had a problem since. So try cleaning the sensor if you take the camera out and have to do it frequently contact Leica.

Thank you all for your advice. I will try and clean the sensor first and then if ineffectual, will contact Leica (NJ) for more advices. Appreciate the fast input too. This Forum is such a great resource and I have several Leicas (M-240, M 8.2, SL & CL at the moment) and there is always a knowledgeable international base of fellow shooters. 

I'll keep you all posted as to whether these "fixes" work.

• Like 1