Mechanics of S3 promo offer

Deliberate1

• 3 weeks later...

I heard from a dealer that used 007 in good shape trade in value is about $4,500.  The extra credit is $4K.  The retail is $19K.  So you're looking at $10K+ difference still, which could instead buy you a new Hasselblad 907x+CFV II 50C+XCD 65/2.8 lens, for example.

Coincidentally, the trade-in value is about the same for M10, just a bit less.  We're talking mint and boxed.

I'm not convinced for my occasional medium format excursions it's worth it yet.  The M10R is a must, it's the backbone of any true Leica shooter IMHO, and thus it was a no-brainer to upgrade my M10, the very first Leica I got soon after its release with the help of Leica CEO himself (long story).  In three short years it halved in value, what a hobby we got here!  As Herzen said about the Russian revolutionaries, "the circle of these revolutionaries is narrow, they are terribly far from the people..."

The only consolation seems to be the 4-year cycle and the substantial advances for M, Q, SL, and S lines.  The M10M is truly peak Monochrom and M10R peak M.  It's hard to imagine what could be added.  I don't need IBIS in M.  I hope M11 is delayed by a year or two so we can just focus on photos with the M10R and M10M.  S is the one that could be dramatically improved but most likely it won't.

So for the 007=>S3 options, we're looking at

-- the trade-up program could be extended (because of covid?)
-- sensor upgrade program, should be doable as the body is exactly the same
-- S line ends and prices drop dramatically

Edited by setuporg
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I don't have anything to add, other than to say I am happy to see Aleksandr Herzen quoted in a thread about cameras. It makes me feel like my Russian history degree means something for my current career as a photographer, haha.

I'm looking forward to the days when the world reopens, I can take some Leica/Hasselblad cameras to Iceland, look you up Stuart, and talk photography and history.  Perhaps do a photoshoot!

• Like 2

Guest BlackBarn
On 9/3/2020 at 4:40 AM, setuporg said:

In three short years it halved in value, what a hobby we got here!

May be depends on the perspective.......wether you are a buyer or seller.