M10-P or M10R

rsoby

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 minute ago, JMF said:

Tried the M10P recently at 6400 ISO and was disappointed ... 

As Steven said, they’re both vast improvements over the M9 or M240, but I would never recommend one of the color Ms for high ISO use...

Certainly low light capable depending on the lens and the photographer though. 

If you want to shoot low light, buy an SL2S. Costs half the price, and you'll own the most capable low light camera I've ever tried. The colours look better than anything else at night. Sure the A7SIII can go up to 100k ISO with little noticeable noise, but the image is all orange and desaturated. 

• Like 2

Here's a quick non scientific demonstration of what I mean. The color difference between the Leica and the Sony. Both cameras shot handheld, my daughter sleeping in pitch dark with the hallway light only. 1/60th, 6400, 35 Cron APO at F2. Look at how the colours look nice SOOC with the SL2S while the Sony is all orangy. The bed sheets are exactly baby blue like in the Leica shot in real life. 

The compression on the forum is as always a problem, but the noise on the Leica looks organic and filmic. On the Sony, it looks heavier and digital. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

42 minutes ago, JMF said:

Tried the M10P recently at 6400 ISO and was disappointed ... 

honestly I would not use EITHER the M10P or M10R above 3200

And in fact while I love M colours when light is aplenty, I tend to convert a lot to B&W when it is not

For low light,I think, there are better colour cameras

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, Fedro said:

honestly I would not use EITHER the M10P or M10R above 3200

And in fact while I love M colours when light is aplenty, I tend to convert a lot to B&W when it is not

For low light,I think, there are better colour cameras

+1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3200 is max for me as well and I have to pay way more attention to metering to make sure the exposure is solid to limit editing to bare minimal. 6400 can be ok if you nail exposure perfect and you don't have weird lighting. 

M10M on the other hand I'll go 10k with no problem (never had to go higher but I'm sure it is fine).

Edited by dkmoore

1 minute ago, dkmoore said:

3200 is max for me as well and I'm not overly appreciative because I have to may way more attention to metering to make sure the exposure is solid to limit editing to bare minimal. 

M10M on the other hand I'll go 10k with no problem (never had to go higher but I'm sure it is fine).

What about m10p 10k but converted to bw in post ? Does that work ? 
when it’s nighttime, I took the habit to turn the jpeg settings to bw in my m10p because it’s more inspiring to review them than in colours. 

@Steven thanks for the feedback! I’m coming from Sony a7 bodies. Great cameras for stills and video, but really want a different experience. Love the a7 cameras but want something that slows me down and feels a bit less robotic. As crazy as it sounds it’s a “less is more” situation. Also the Leica lenses seem fantastic. Lots of options when factoring in vintage glass. Manual focus and exposure is absolutely fine for me. My perfect camera would be a M10p with the SL2S sensor. I do want something small and compact so I ruled out that body. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Steven said:

What about m10p 10k but converted to bw in post ? Does that work ? 
when it’s nighttime, I took the habit to turn the jpeg settings to bw in my m10p because it’s more inspiring to review them than in colours. 

Never tried it. I only really use the M10R for family and travel. 95% of my photos are made with the M10 Monochrom.

I used to do this with the M240 and liked the images a lot, high ISO converted to B&W so I'd assume the M10 would do great. Leica does a nice job with nice tight "organic" looking grain.

4 minutes ago, Crem said:

@Steven thanks for the feedback! I’m coming from Sony a7 bodies. Great cameras for stills and video, but really want a different experience. Love the a7 cameras but want something that slows me down and feels a bit less robotic. As crazy as it sounds it’s a “less is more” situation. Also the Leica lenses seem fantastic. Lots of options when factoring in vintage glass. Manual focus and exposure is absolutely fine for me. My perfect camera would be a M10p with the SL2S sensor. I do want something small and compact so I ruled out that body. 

M10R sensor is fantastic. The only drawback is you have to pay attention to form and shake below 1/250. I've been testing this a lot over the past week or so and I am fine at lower speeds if I'm paying CLOSE attention to form. I'm usually super loose though.

I would love to see IBIS before any other technical advancement. 

Edited by dkmoore

3 hours ago, Peter Kilmister said:

The push for more pixels is commercial. 24 Megapixels is better than film. 40 Megapixels is OK with IBIS. Rangefinders don't have IBIS. Do you need the extra megapixels?

No, I don’t need anything except for water, oxygen, and food but I’m after far more than that. Are you only living off of those key elements of life?

I think not because I know I you have a 50 APO. 

• Haha 4

11 hours ago, Crem said:

Good for you. I went from an A7x body to an M and loved the transition. As for low light, you will be disappointed with noise. But you will be presently surprised with color reproduction and preservation. As seen the example above. 

16 hours ago, dkmoore said:

M10R sensor is fantastic. The only drawback is you have to pay attention to form and shake below 1/250. I've been testing this a lot over the past week or so and I am fine at lower speeds if I'm paying CLOSE attention to form. I'm usually super loose though.

I would love to see IBIS before any other technical advancement. 

Not sure if this is the case with the M, but on my R5 (about the same megapixels), shutter shock from the mechanical shutter can cause issues below 1/250, but particularly around 1/125. For some reason the vibration/resonance from the mechanical shutter on the R5 isn't as bad around 1/60 and below as it is right at 1/125. And the R5 has a very well-dampened mechanical shutter. I wish the M10/P/R allowed EFCS and ES. EFCS is a big help when shooting handheld at lower shutter speeds on a high-mp camera.

Everyone, thank you so much for the feedback. I've definitely learned a lot of valuable information from this community. @Steven thanks for posting photos. I've had similar orange problems with Sony SOOC in low light. Usually I can fix it reasonably well in Lightroom, but it's nice to know the SL2S take cares of it. I'm hoping they put the SL2S sensor in the M11. I'm leaning toward picking up a lightly used M10P now since I have a feeling I'll want to upgrade to a M11 someday. I may have to trade the Sony towards a SL2S and go all Leica.

3 minutes ago, Crem said:

Usually I can fix it reasonably well in Lightroom

Lucky you

I'm hoping they put the SL2S sensor in the M11.

Would be a dream camera 

I'm leaning toward picking up a lightly used M10P now since I have a feeling I'll want to upgrade to a M11 someday

Reasonable plan

I may have to trade the Sony towards a SL2S and go all Leica.

The first one is the just the getaway drug. Good luck dealing with your future addiction. 

• Like 1

I should clarify by "reasonably well" I mostly mean screwing with white balance and tint to get something acceptable (assuming I properly ETTR with the A7R4 ). Otherwise it's hit the B&W button, play with contrast, and call it done. The Sony is definitely not as nice as your SL2S SOOC. I hear you on the addiction part. I already have my next two lenses picked out... 

• Like 1

On 3/7/2021 at 12:29 AM, Steven said:

Which ones ! 

35 summilux fle is my first lens since that’s my favorite everyday focal length. Next two lenses: 75 summicron and 21 super elmar. My bank account tells me I should check out the voigtlander 21ultron since it’s my least used of the 3.