Replace Protective Glass

ILeicIt

On 8/14/2020 at 2:14 PM, ILeicIt said:

it wasn't actually a bad bang

Have you got insurance cover for the camera? As has been mentioned, the vinyl covering has to be stripped off and replaced and the whole camera disassembled . 

Edited by pedaes

On 8/14/2020 at 2:27 AM, ILeicIt said:

Hi Jaap,

It definitely won't be the last camera I buy! I understand the idea of modular repair, laptops (especially Apple) have moved to this often costly practice, but from an engineering point of view its understandable. After my call yesterday, it's now clear there was a misunderstanding between myself and the employee at Leica Mayfair as to what is the LCD, Gorilla Glass and protective glass. I now understand that the Gorilla Glass is a PART of the LCD and NOT the protective screen I understood it to be! I know people here were saying this, but again I was only going on what Leica told me.

So thanks again for all your help, already looking forward to the critique when I post some photos.

All the best

It's not easy to admit fault. Good on you.

That said, I do hope the issues gets fixed promptly and at low impact to your wallet.

Regards,

Cheers. Well, I didn't mention on my last post.....

The day before taking the camera into Leica the camera a came loose from the neck strap and hit the floor. More bad news. The plastic retention sleeve wasn't fully engaged and the strap worked its way loose. The result being the camera hit the deck after hitting the back of my leg. So, where I was confident there wouldn't be any internal damage before, no I'm not so sure.

I'll ensure I update the thread when I've seen the damage.

Best.

On 8/12/2020 at 9:59 AM, ILeicIt said:

Hi all,

Does anyone know the easiest way to replace the Gorilla Glass on the M-E Typ 240? I was originally told by Leica Mayfair that I could have it done in store, as its only a protective screen. Now I'm being told it has to be sent to Germany for such a minor repair. The camera and LCD work absolutely fine, its just the glass.

Anyone had a similar issue or replaced the protective glass? 

Thanks all

Don't know about the Leica installed protection glass.

But for self installed or installed by the street corner, try the dental floss line, slowly "saw" into the interface between the protection glass and the LCD. There you go.

When exposed to a fall, there are some things that can be damaged without you noticing straight away, like sensor calibration ( should be checked by laser measurement), rangefinder calibration, shifted lens elements, lens mount alignment. One more compelling reason to send it to Leica. Including the lens. At least you can claim the cost on insurance now. 

On 8/18/2020 at 9:55 AM, ILeicIt said:

Cheers. Well, I didn't mention on my last post.....

The day before taking the camera into Leica the camera a came loose from the neck strap and hit the floor. More bad news. The plastic retention sleeve wasn't fully engaged and the strap worked its way loose. The result being the camera hit the deck after hitting the back of my leg. So, where I was confident there wouldn't be any internal damage before, no I'm not so sure.

I'll ensure I update the thread when I've seen the damage.

Best.

Really bad luck following your camera! :(

What strap did you use?

• 3 weeks later...

FYI Sony is selling protective screen replacement for 10€ only. It is also user serviceable. 
I’ve done it twice. Because they are cheap stuff,  needed to be frequently replaced. Just have to be sure, not to left any dust between screen and the protection. 
It would be a shame if Leica forced us to buy a whole screen unit, instead of just the protective screen. It would be a scam, if true.