Replace Protective Glass

ILeicIt

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi all,

Does anyone know the easiest way to replace the Gorilla Glass on the M-E Typ 240? I was originally told by Leica Mayfair that I could have it done in store, as its only a protective screen. Now I'm being told it has to be sent to Germany for such a minor repair. The camera and LCD work absolutely fine, its just the glass.

Anyone had a similar issue or replaced the protective glass? 

Thanks all

Thanks Jaap.

Looking at the screen, there is clearly separation between the protector and LCD, it doesn't look like they are 'one'. If it being the case that I'll have to replace the whole, I'll sell the camera.

Crazy if that is the case and losing my camera for months is hardly convenient nor fitting with such a reputable company. 

11 minutes ago, ILeicIt said:

Thanks Jaap.

Looking at the screen, there is clearly separation between the protector and LCD, it doesn't look like they are 'one'. If it being the case that I'll have to replace the whole, I'll sell the camera.

Crazy if that is the case and losing my camera for months is hardly convenient nor fitting with such a reputable company. 

It is quite unlikely that the repair will take months.Turnaround is normally a few weeks. If the LCD should be temporarily out of stock you can always ask Leica to notify you when new parts come in.

Thanks again. Why would they replace the LCD when its in full working order? It certainly doesn't look like a whole unit. Sadly, I'm leaving the UK so won't be able to send it for repair anyway, unless the turnaround was no more than 2 weeks. Looks like I'll have to get a protective screen as a temporary fix. I don't really use the LCD as it is.

Don't mean to be stroppy! I'll be very very disappointed that I chose Leica over Fuji if this is how they operate, as replacing the whole would clearly be a con.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

No, it is not a con, it is just the part as it is produced by the supplier as a single unit. It is not something that Leice make themselves. I doubt whether other brands would do differently; they probably buy from the same maker.
Welcome to the 21st century - replace the module instead of attempt to repair.

Thanks Jaap 

but I’m sorry, if you have to replace something that costs 600€ in order to repair a piece of 10€ glass, that’s actually poor design and/or a con. It’s like replacing a car door if the window is broken. The glass is an external part that appears to be glued to the exterior frame of the LCD. If Leica are unable to replace the protective screen, then what on earth is the point of having it? ironic? The consumer would be better off if the camera was shipped without the glass and use their own replacement protector when needed, much like on a phone/tablet.

I absolutely love my camera, something I’ve been wanting for years and the pictures are just what I was expecting and more. However, if I end up paying the touted 600€ for replaced a screen protector, it will be the last Leica I ever buy. Paying insane prices for tiny repairs just isn’t right. It certainly feels like a con.

thanks again for your input Jaap. 

17 minutes ago, ILeicIt said:

I absolutely love my camera, something I’ve been wanting for years and the pictures are just what I was expecting and more. However, if I end up paying the touted 600€ for replaced a screen protector, it will be the last Leica I ever buy. Paying insane prices for tiny repairs just isn’t right. It certainly feels like a con.

I think you, and possibly Leica Mayfair, are under a misapprehension, the rear of the LCD is Gorilla glass, it is not an add on screen on top of something else such as ordinary glass or plastic cover. It will be bonded in, so if you could pry it up what are you going to do to remove the old hardened glue? This is a situation when the old LCD will be thrown away, as it would with a Fuji LCD screen that has cracked, and a new one fitted. Why is that hard to comprehend?

• Like 2

Steve, thanks.

'Why is that hard to comprehend' ?

Apologies, I don't think I've explained myself correctly. Looking at the photo below, you can clearly see the 'protective screen' (Gorilla Glass) is in fact separate to the rear LCD, it is NOT THE LCD. When I spoke with Leica Mayfair and explained the damage (to screen not LCD) they were clear it could be repaired in store. However, Manchester maintained it must be sent away. My issue is that I was told this would be an in store repair that would cost around £25, believing this to be true as the LCD (expensive part) hadn't been damaged. I'm sure, looking at the attached image, you can see why I would believe that? Bizarrely, I could have claimed on my insurance for the expensive repair, but as I live abroad I was simply waiting for a convenient time to take in for the 'minor' repair, its now too late for an insurance claim.

Now I can see that I'm probably annoying some with my tone, I apologise. Its my first post on this forum and I recognise they are places of great value to amateurs like myself and will be invaluable to me whilst I get to grips with my camera and seek advice from those more experienced. 

Thanks for your response.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Had the thing about a week! 

I spoke with Leica today, they confirmed a likely price of 600 for the repair and 4-8weeks return time. I'm taking it into the Manchester store next week.

Whilst Leica customer services were polite, the justification for repair costs was lame. £600 to replace a piece of Gorilla Glass. Shocking.

I'll see what Manchester say, but your solution just may be an option.

Thanks Jean-Michel

On 8/13/2020 at 8:57 AM, ILeicIt said:

Thanks Jaap 

but I’m sorry, if you have to replace something that costs 600€ in order to repair a piece of 10€ glass, that’s actually poor design and/or a con. It’s like replacing a car door if the window is broken. The glass is an external part that appears to be glued to the exterior frame of the LCD. If Leica are unable to replace the protective screen, then what on earth is the point of having it? ironic? The consumer would be better off if the camera was shipped without the glass and use their own replacement protector when needed, much like on a phone/tablet.

thanks again for your input Jaap. 

It'll probably be the last camera in general that you buy then...  Most if not all cameras have modular repair protocols. As have many other products. One of my X-ray machines blew its motherboard. They only official repair possible was a replacement for 3500 Euro. I took it out myself to the local electronics repair shop and he soldered one new capacitor in. 1.29 Euro parts and 25. Euro labour. Works flawlessly. As I said, it is just the way things work nowadays.

13 hours ago, ILeicIt said:

Had the thing about a week! 

I spoke with Leica today, they confirmed a likely price of 600 for the repair and 4-8weeks return time. I'm taking it into the Manchester store next week.

Whilst Leica customer services were polite, the justification for repair costs was lame. £600 to replace a piece of Gorilla Glass. Shocking.

I'll see what Manchester say, but your solution just may be an option.

Thanks Jean-Michel

Leica will not replace the glass on it's own, the whole LCD needs replacing and it's no good imagining each Leica store has a factory trained technician hidden around the back ready for jobs like this.

5 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Leica will not replace the glass on it's own, the whole LCD needs replacing and it's no good imagining each Leica store has a factory trained technician hidden around the back ready for jobs like this.

I've had Leica apologise to me for the confusion regarding the repair and what I was told my Leica Mayfair. I didn't 'imagine' they could repair it, I was told so. So please, I appreciate the advise and setting me straight, but leave the condescending posts at the virtual door.

10 minutes ago, jaapv said:

It'll probably be the last camera in general that you buy then...  Most if not all cameras have modular repair protocols. As have many other products. One of my X-ray machines blew its motherboard. They only official repair possible was a replacement for 3500 Euro. I took it out myself to the local electronics repair shop and he soldered one new capacitor in. 1.29 Euro parts and 25. Euro labour. Works flawlessly. As I said, it is just the way things work nowadays.

Hi Jaap,

It definitely won't be the last camera I buy! I understand the idea of modular repair, laptops (especially Apple) have moved to this often costly practice, but from an engineering point of view its understandable. After my call yesterday, it's now clear there was a misunderstanding between myself and the employee at Leica Mayfair as to what is the LCD, Gorilla Glass and protective glass. I now understand that the Gorilla Glass is a PART of the LCD and NOT the protective screen I understood it to be! I know people here were saying this, but again I was only going on what Leica told me.

So thanks again for all your help, already looking forward to the critique when I post some photos.

All the best

• Thanks 1

Ah -there is the confusion. There are third-party Gorilla Glass screen protectors for cameras with softer LCD cover glass (and over-cautious or ham-fiseted owners :lol: ) - but that is not the same thing. :)

Sometimes the standard service cost and service liabilities are far more than the cost of parts replaced. Hence the high repair cost. This is quite common for many professional service centers. Why don’t you wait for something else to break or need fixing, before sending it to Leica?