Why The Noctilux?

ddp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With the M8, I'm having a hard time getting it to focus...

That was one of the reasons I sold mine. The DOF is wafer thin wide open and close up. I could rock backwards and forwards by more than the DOF and not see any difference in the rangefinder patch. Digital only makes focussing errors more obvious IMHO, so while I was happy with film I was much less happy using it on a low magnification digital body.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

It has not been mentioned here yet, but for those that only rarely feel the "need" for Noctilux-like images, the price is prohibitive and there are alternatives that go quite some way in the same direction. The Summilux 75 has been mentioned, but there is also the Nokton 35/1.2 and even the Summarit 1.5/5cm, which give more or less similar results.

It has not been mentioned here yet, but for those that only rarely feel the "need" for Noctilux-like images, the price is prohibitive and there are alternatives that go quite some way in the same direction. The Summilux 75 has been mentioned, but there is also the Nokton 35/1.2 and even the Summarit 1.5/5cm, which give more or less similar results.

Jaap, I amm sure you are right in what you say, but two out of three of your suggestions ALSO involve a different focal length! Then it becomes "Apples & Oranges".

Basically, this photography thing is more imprecise that we realize. :D

Erl, 35 on the M8 equals 50 mm on film, or so they say, and we get complaints about users confusing 75 and 50 framelines, so let's call it oranges to grapefruits ;)

The point is, unique as this lens may be, the price tag will make a casual user stop and consider. Still, thin DOF, special atmosphere and interesting aberrations are things we all strive for from time to time. In that light the lenses I mentioned may well be considered as alternatives, or stop-gaps if you will.

For me, the Nocti, as many said before, it's a particular lens.

Not something to carry everyday with you, but something to use (when you're able to use it) if you've got something in your mind.

Let me say, choosing between a Nocti or a Summilux (asph or pre-asph) is like shooting colours rather than B/W. The approach with the nocti IMHO is almost the same.

If someone "knows" the Nocti, probably he would be able to "see" the result yet before shooting.

Then I second Jaap's consideration regarding the Nokton 35 1.2, it's something "similar", even if it's not the same FOV. IMO