RIP Film - A goodbye essay

dkmoore

Advertisement (gone after registration)

These are from the last roll of film I will shoot. All from same (last) roll of Ilford, Delta. RIP. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 9

See yah

• Like 3

black bird

• Like 4

untitled

• Like 3

untitled 2

• Like 5

two buildings

• Like 9

1 hour ago, stuny said:

Very nice.  I'm curious why this will be your last roll of film (a decision I made a few years ago).

Thank you Stuny. 

I've had a turbulent relationship with film for the past 8-9 or so years and have bought and sold, bought and sold, and repeated that terrible decision making many times. The main reasons I am finally putting this behind me:

1. I'm reluctant to build myself a dark room because I have two young kids (4&6). For safety and time available. It bothers me that I cannot control the process start to finish and get a print.

2. Impatience is a common trait of us millennials and waiting for processing, waiting for film to come, etc goes against my being.

3. I love "the look" but digital today is SO SO good. With the M10R and M10M I don't know that I have any room in my heart left for film. :  )

I could probably right 15 chapters on this question but those are probably the easiest to explain in digital land.

• Like 4

I think people who move forward with technology and adapt don't need to explain their actions. I'd rather put the question to those who steadfastly cling to old technologies when the advantages of changing are so obvious. Twenty years from now when most people are being transported in driverless vehicles, they'll be the ones on the back roads still driving their own.  I stuck it out with film as long as possible but like Dustin I now find no reason to shoot with it again.

(With that said, I am retreating to my bombproof shelter.)

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, fotografr said:

I think people who move forward with technology and adapt don't need to explain their actions. I'd rather put the question to those who steadfastly cling to old technologies when the advantages of changing are so obvious. Twenty years from now when most people are being transported in driverless vehicles, they'll be the ones on the back roads still driving their own.  I stuck it out with film as long as possible but like Dustin I now find no reason to shoot with it again.

It is a beautiful medium but such a pain in the arse. This photo from the same roll of Delta sums it up. :  )

"d & d"

• Like 2

Thanks to those people that liked and viewed my post. I appreciate it!     *Only the M10R (for M cameras) could handle highlights like this Delta shot. 

Edited by dkmoore
  • Like 5

9 hours ago, fotografr said:

I admire your black and white images. Exquisite, profound, outstanding monochromatic rendering tonality and optimized contrast...^^b

• Thanks 1

On 8/11/2020 at 7:33 PM, dkmoore said:

Thank you Stuny. 

I've had a turbulent relationship with film for the past 8-9 or so years and have bought and sold, bought and sold, and repeated that terrible decision making many times. The main reasons I am finally putting this behind me:

1. I'm reluctant to build myself a dark room because I have two young kids (4&6). For safety and time available. It bothers me that I cannot control the process start to finish and get a print.

2. Impatience is a common trait of us millennials and waiting for processing, waiting for film to come, etc goes against my being.

3. I love "the look" but digital today is SO SO good. With the M10R and M10M I don't know that I have any room in my heart left for film. :  )

I could probably right 15 chapters on this question but those are probably the easiest to explain in digital land.

@dkmoore Awesome!!

I'm a happy user who shows no sign of regret for my previous decision up until now.
I favored using the reversal film(for a long period, at least 20 years).
The overall ROI ratio for the new gears is remarkable plus the IQ is pretty close to reversal films such as RDP III and Ektachrome sometime.

Edited by Erato
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Nice set of images. There's a lot to be said for keeping things simple, and ruling out shooting film certainly keeps things simple.

Perhaps you know the work of Alan Schaller? He shoots exclusively with a Leica Monochrom and mostly 24mm (sometimes 50mm) lens. His images are always processed for super high contrast. He's a big fan of limitations because of the freedom they bring. He was asked in an interview recently why he didn't shoot film, and he said simply that he had no desire to be spending hours in the darkroom. Can't really argue with that.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, colint544 said:

Nice set of images. There's a lot to be said for keeping things simple, and ruling out shooting film certainly keeps things simple.

Perhaps you know the work of Alan Schaller? He shoots exclusively with a Leica Monochrom and mostly 24mm (sometimes 50mm) lens. His images are always processed for super high contrast. He's a big fan of limitations because of the freedom they bring. He was asked in an interview recently why he didn't shoot film, and he said simply that he had no desire to be spending hours in the darkroom. Can't really argue with that.

Thank you Colin. And I agree with Alan (and like his work). 

If film still exists when my kids go off to college I could see myself building a dark room and giving it a whirl but film does take up an awful lot of time that I really just don’t have, regardless of how much I like the medium. 

• Like 1

On 8/13/2020 at 12:49 PM, fotografr said:

I'd rather put the question to those who steadfastly cling to old technologies when the advantages of changing are so obvious. Twenty years from now when most people are being transported in driverless vehicles, they'll be the ones on the back roads still driving their own.

I'm afraid you've described me perfectly...  Here's what I'll be driving 20 years from now:

Oh, BTW, taken with my recently CLA'ed M3 w/ 50mm DR Summicron, I think with DELTA 400.

- Scott

P.S.  Dustin, I apologize for spamming your essay with an illicit additional photo.  I was hoping to help "illustrate" Brent's point.  ESH

Edited by FHPdoc
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2