What is your every day carry (EDC)?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Since you can’t take the picture unless you have a camera with you to take advantage of an opportunity, and since I don’t care for the cameras on cell phones, what is your everyday carry camera / lens combo?  To maximize IQ, speed and versatility, but to minimize size and weight, mine is an SL2, Leica R Summicron 50mm, and Leica R to L Adapter. But I can be persuaded otherwise. 

Every Day? Depends on my frame of mind...

Sometimes: The SL2 with various lenses: The M 50mm APO, M 28mm Elmarit, and often the 45mm Sigma.

Or sometimes: The perfect M10 that always has on it a 35mm Cron. 

Or sometimes I bring both cameras: Then indecision reigns supreme... and I use my phone.

Edited by Jeffry Abt
  • Haha 2

I think this is my problem as well - indecision.  Film (R8) or digital (SL2)?  Prime or zoom?  AF or MF?  Multiple lenses or one lens?  I'm trying to come up with a one camera one lens light weight semi-compact solution for EDC knowing I have everything else in reserve when I need it.  It never ends!  🤣

Edited by ChrisL

2 hours ago, FlashGordonPhotography said:

M10R and 50 Summilux, 28 Summicron and 90 macro. Camera over shoulder lenses in a jacket pocket. Occasionally a spare battery. Occasionally replaced by a CL, 11-23, 35 and 60.

You carry that with you everyday, all the time, wherever you go?  I'd need a nap.  😉

I envy you guys. I must be the odd one out. I don't think I will be in the fortunate position to have an EDC camera with me before I retire (which is still too far away to even think about it). Between my work and my parental obligations, there is not much room for photography. Happy to go out with a camera once per week. At the moment, I can only dream of that. Complete lockdown and curfew. Yes, I could carry a camera between home office and kitchen. But I doubt I would get many keepers. I only ever had an EDC camera with me during holidays, which seems to be a concept of distant past.

6 minutes ago, scroy said:

SL2+75mm Summicron-SL (or 35mm Summicron-SL)

I think I see a bit of a consensus forming on the SL/SL2 side of the ledger, and since I have both of these lenses who am I to argue?  😉

M10 + 2.8/35 ZM or M10 + 2.8/35 ZM 🙌 Easy! 

I use other system/brand for work (cause I have more gear options). But w/o a doubt, when it's about fun, travel, family, lifestyle, street photography, landscape, abstract, this is the EDC combo that I use. Battery always charged, all glasses and windows cleaned, ready to rock in a few seconds.

860Gr all, super small and sharp lens. Can't ask for more. Maybe a 35mm 1.4 lens with the same weight and size of the Biogon 😂 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, ChrisL said:

Since you can’t take the picture unless you have a camera with you to take advantage of an opportunity, and since I don’t care for the cameras on cell phones, what is your everyday carry camera / lens combo?  To maximize IQ, speed and versatility, but to minimize size and weight, mine is an SL2, Leica R Summicron 50mm, and Leica R to L Adapter. But I can be persuaded otherwise. 

I also used this combination a long time (mainly in 2016 and 17). Or a small M 28 mm. But maybe I will now buy the lumix 20-60 which is also small and light but with AF. Actually I hoped that Leica would produce a Summicron SL 50 similar to the R 50 (non-Apo and small). But they prefer the uni-size look. The Sigma 45 could be a possibility, but I don’t like the shiny look. It is not important, but still ...

10 hours ago, ChrisL said:

You carry that with you everyday, all the time, wherever you go?  I'd need a nap.  😉

In the past I've carried more. An M10 is tiny. It's actually easy to carry an M10 and a couple of extra lenses. I chose the 28 'cron and 90 macro because they're small and use a double lens cap to keep them tidy. Jacket pocket in winter and a small backpack or belt lens pouch in summer. Sometimes I'll use a peak Design 5L sling If I want to add a WATE and EVF.

I tried a DLux7 for a bit but couldn't get used to the low resolution ( I print big) so that ones in my bike bag now.

Gordon

Usually:

One lens option: M-E + Summicron 28

Two lens options: M-E + Cron 28 and Lux 50 ASPH

Sometimes (depends on specific situation):

SL+Sigma 45

My conclusions: M system is more size and weight friendly (Obvious 🙂)

btw...based on our replies Leica lens similar in size and performance to Sigma 45mm will be very useful for L-mount owners