Help finding my M9 disease

mik-

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello fellow Leica users,

I had my M9 since 2013 and it's ill now and I would like to get your opinion as if you think a simple service could fix it or if you think that the sensor need to be changed (which would be a bad news since it seems Leica won't do that anymore).

At least, I still have my wonderful 1958 M2 which work perfectly but I would like to also shoot digital.

I wish you all a great day and wonderful pictures.

Michaël

PS: The wall on the test picture is supposed to be white-ish.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Hello Michaël, sad to hear about your ill M9.

Maybe I am wrong but I can see the classic corrosion worms near the window, I could say the sensor reached its end, but maybe I am wrong and it is something else. In case it is not repairable are you taking any of the trade-in options?

Good luck!

Ricardo 

3 hours ago, mik- said:

Olá colegas usuários da Leica,

Tenho o meu M9 desde 2013 e agora está doente e gostaria de saber a sua opinião se você acha que um simples serviço poderia consertá-lo ou se você acha que o sensor precisa ser trocado (o que seria uma má notícia, pois parece Leica não fará mais isso).

Pelo menos, ainda tenho meu maravilhoso M2 1958 que funciona perfeitamente, mas gostaria de fotografar também digitalmente.

Desejo a todos um ótimo dia e fotos maravilhosas.

Michael

PS: A parede da imagem de teste deve ser branca.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Associated with the wall color problem there are also signs of sensor corrosion.

6 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

Hello Michaël, sad to hear about your ill M9.

Maybe I am wrong but I can see the classic corrosion worms near the window, I could say the sensor reached its end, but maybe I am wrong and it is something else. In case it is not repairable are you taking any of the trade-in options?

Good luck!

Ricardo 

Thank you. There was so many problems with the picture (half black, lines of weird colors, colors being wrong) that I didn't pay attention to the details and I must admit that it does look like the corrosion problem is there.

As I'm not being paid for shooting and not have spare money, I must admit that with this experience of now having a beautiful paperweight instead of a camera doesn't encourage me to by a new digital Leica. I will probably shoot film on my M2 and buy a second hand Sony in the A7 Line and use an adapter to use my awesome Leica lenses. I love film, but I still want a digital camera to speed up practicing.

2 minutes ago, mik- said:

Thank you. There was so many problems with the picture (half black, lines of weird colors, colors being wrong) that I didn't pay attention to the details and I must admit that it does look like the corrosion problem is there.

As I'm not being paid for shooting and not have spare money, I must admit that with this experience of now having a beautiful paperweight instead of a camera doesn't encourage me to by a new digital Leica. I will probably shoot film on my M2 and buy a second hand Sony in the A7 Line and use an adapter to use my awesome Leica lenses. I love film, but I still want a digital camera to speed up practicing.

If that is the case of sensor corrosion I would suggest sell your M9 for parts and invest in a camera other than Sony. I had an A7, then an A7Rii and they are pretty bad with M-mount lenses especially wide angles, too much smearing at the corners that are not worthy. Others might have better recommendations but if you don't have disposable money to buy any camera, I think a Lumix full-frame will be much better for your lenses.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It's worth sending this to Leica for diagnosis. If repair is possible, decide if the sensor corrosion is tolerable, it often times is smaller than dust.  While it will get worse, it could give years of use before it gets significant.  Leica was very generous with trade in for my M9.  Last thought, try a different battery, some M9 batteries are getting old.  

18 hours ago, rivi1969 said:

If that is the case of sensor corrosion I would suggest sell your M9 for parts and invest in a camera other than Sony. I had an A7, then an A7Rii and they are pretty bad with M-mount lenses especially wide angles, too much smearing at the corners that are not worthy. Others might have better recommendations but if you don't have disposable money to buy any camera, I think a Lumix full-frame will be much better for your lenses.

Thank you for your feedback. After doing some more research, I might consider a Leica CL with M-mount adapter.

Corrosion as such would not produce the green and pink stripes, nor the loss of half the picture.

Those other symptoms could be: SD card probem - or - sensor problem - or - failures in other electronics besides the sensor itself (sensor circuit board, A/D converter, CPU).

Realistically your best bet is to email a copy of the picture (preferably the original .DNG file) to Leica Service for their opinion. They will be much better prepared to figure out what may be failing than the "amateur doctors" here. Although whther they figure it our or not, they will likely ask you to send the camera in for further detailed testing.

You can find the appropriate contact info for your area here.... https://us.leica-camera.com/Contact

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/11/2020 at 4:37 AM, rivi1969 said:

The picture has so many faults that I think I should recommend that he needs to check the camera with a general service and diagnostics (I assume have tried different SD cards).

I totally agree with you that Sony FF camera like the A7-series is not a very good option for M lenses (perhaps APS-C based crop mirror less with less steep angles for the light rays could be a bit better).

That said, will the Lumix  Lumix S1R camera have the exakt same sensor package (with angled micro prims in the edges) like the Leica SL2?

8 hours ago, martinot said:

That said, will the Lumix  Lumix S1R camera have the exakt same sensor package (with angled micro prims in the edges) like the Leica SL2?

No. The sensor is not part of the L Alliance.

• Thanks 1

On 8/14/2020 at 2:35 AM, adan said:

Although whther they figure it our or not, they will likely ask you to send the camera in for further detailed testing.

Or not, given that they cannot replace sensor/motherboard assemblies any more. They would send an upgrade offer if they judge the sensor to be at fault. 

10 hours ago, jaapv said:

Or not, given that they cannot replace sensor/motherboard assemblies any more. They would send an upgrade offer if they judge the sensor to be at fault. 

I contacted them and they said they had a few sensors left in stock but they couldn't promise they will still have one when they will process my camera. So I'm still not sure if I'll have one of the last ever replacement sensor or if I'll have to buy a new camera. The wait is killing me. I'm not having enough money to upgrade to a M10. If they can't repair it, I'm probably gonna go with a CL.

I bought a second hand Sony A7ii but I really dislike having it in my hands. Too many buttons that are not well placed. I'm missing Leica's simplicity.

Thanks for all your lovely answers to my question. I really appreciate having your opinions. And yes, I have tried different batteries, SD cards and lenses.

oh! Seems like they still have sensors. I got an answer from Leica NJ. They can replace it (1500$). I'm thinking at having it repaired as the deal for the CL seems bad : 1800 for the body. BH photo has the CL WITH 18mm lense for 2300$.

I guess I'll be reunited with my lovely M9 :) I'm struggling with the low light capability and "loud" shutter sound for street photo, but it served me so well on my travels and it feels nice in my hands. I guess having it almost dead made me realised I like it very much and I was taking it for granted hehehe.

Thank you all for your help.

• Like 1

I agree: get it fixed. Good that they have a sensor/board for it. Mine was replaced (luckily) back under their free program, and it came back fully serviced and like new. I also got an M10 at the time, but there's something special about the M9 - worth keeping!

On 9/8/2020 at 4:26 PM, mik- said:

oh! Seems like they still have sensors. I got an answer from Leica NJ. They can replace it (1500$). I'm thinking at having it repaired as the deal for the CL seems bad : 1800 for the body. BH photo has the CL WITH 18mm lense for 2300$.

I guess I'll be reunited with my lovely M9 :) I'm struggling with the low light capability and "loud" shutter sound for street photo, but it served me so well on my travels and it feels nice in my hands. I guess having it almost dead made me realised I like it very much and I was taking it for granted hehehe.

That's great news, I'd be gutted if mine died.

On 9/8/2020 at 5:26 PM, mik- said:

Nice to hear - you are very lucky! :) 

Also a very good call I think. I have many mirrorless cameras, which I really like, but it is not the same experience as an M camera. Your M lenses will be nicer to continue to be used on your current M (or a newer one), than if you went with a mirrorless camera. Congrats!

On 9/5/2020 at 8:09 PM, mik- said:

I bought a second hand Sony A7ii but I really dislike having it in my hands. Too many buttons that are not well placed. I'm missing Leica's simplicity.

I have one too. After several years I'm starting to get the hang of it. I don't like the User Interface because its badly conceived, but the camera is very capable if you persevere with it. I much prefer my M9s though because they are far simpler and quicker to use.

• Like 1