24mm Summilux

pharoldo

3 hours ago, pharoldo said:

Thank you! Dident see that! Really strange that they phased it out, im realy surprised

There could be two reasons, the first and most likely is that they are sitting in the warehouse because not enough people want one, the second reason could be they are going to make a new version of it?

The Summarit's they are deleting probably come under the same lack of interest, 'slow' covers both f/stop and sales. But it's a bit baffling that as ISO performance goes up and the necessity for a fast lens goes down why the Summarit's aren't gaining in popularity?

Pharoldo,  The post from 250swb above is correct on both counts.  Both the 24 Lux renders in an amazing way.  The 24 Elmar has superb resolution, flat field curvature, color, minimal vignetting and ideal for landscape photography.  Lack of sales or love for the 24mm focal length caused the demise.  Both lenses are most excellent for their intended designs and use.  I use the 24mm Elmar a lot for landscape and street photography.   r/ Mark

Edited by LeicaR10

Advertisement (gone after registration)

People may have missed the goings-on in the world the last half-year. Due to the Virus and economical slowdown, producers of all kinds of industrial goods have been forced to rationalize their portfolio. Leica cannot be the exception.  Articles that do not sell enough to make a.reasonable margin can be carried on the books in profitable times. In heavy weather, the factory has to batten down. 

As another example, some car companies are pulling out of fragmented markets to concentrate on parts of the world where they hold a major market share. (e.g. Mitsubishi)

1 hour ago, 250swb said:

The Summarit's they are deleting probably come under the same lack of interest, 'slow' covers both f/stop and sales. But it's a bit baffling that as ISO performance goes up and the necessity for a fast lens goes down why the Summarit's aren't gaining in popularity?

Possibly because, in the lower price range, Voigtländer, Zeiss and some far-East. companies offer highly competitive alternatives?

1 hour ago, jaapv said:

Possibly because, in the lower price range, Voigtländer, Zeiss and some far-East. companies offer highly competitive alternatives?

Yes, Leica have backed themselves into a corner, but given the way photography is going is it worth them changing now? I'd like to see something a bit more innovative from them, something like the Zeiss M range tie-in with Cosina, a 'Leica formula' series of lenses aimed squarely at the 'nice idea but I can't afford a Leica' people, of which there are many. Once hooked reel them in.

I can understand the Summilux - slow seller and very expensive to make, in terms of raw glass, labour, expertise - but it seems strange that canned the Elmar 3.8 too. They no longer have any 24mm lenses in the catalogue. Sad. I suppose the focal length enjoyed a renaissance when the M8 was released and became less popular with the move to full frame.

27 minutes ago, 250swb said:

Yes, Leica have backed themselves into a corner, but given the way photography is going is it worth them changing now? I'd like to see something a bit more innovative from them, something like the Zeiss M range tie-in with Cosina, a 'Leica formula' series of lenses aimed squarely at the 'nice idea but I can't afford a Leica' people, of which there are many. Once hooked reel them in.

Isn't that already there with the cameras and lenses made by Panasonic but sold with Leica badges such as the D-Lux and V-Lux etc ranges?

Pete.

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Isn't that already there with the cameras and lenses made by Panasonic but sold with Leica badges such as the D-Lux and V-Lux etc ranges?

Pete.

Yes, but not M mount lenses, and then there is the Zenit M with an M mount lens, but the body/lens package is still absurdly expensive and I'm not sure Leica designed the lenses. The m43 Panasonic Summilux on the other hand is £449 and it's a damned good lens. I was thinking more of a Voigtlander Summicron range.

1 hour ago, farnz said:

Pete.

Besides rationalism of portfolio, there is also a need for a complete portfolio.

But I see your point. My wife has a D-Lux 7. It’s a good camera. But It’s missing Leica feeling.

22 hours ago, 250swb said:

Yes, but not M mount lenses, and then there is the Zenit M with an M mount lens, but the body/lens package is still absurdly expensive and I'm not sure Leica designed the lenses. The m43 Panasonic Summilux on the other hand is £449 and it's a damned good lens. I was thinking more of a Voigtlander Summicron range.

I think the closest we will ever get to this for M mount was the Summarit line, RIP. 

Im curious if we will see replacements for the few discontinued lenses or if they truly walked the plank.