Best 50 equivalent F/L for CL with regard for resolution and colour

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I`m sufficiently old enough to know better than to ask . :)

However I sense that ,in some ways, there has been a step change in lens design and quality with the advent of the CL and SL lenses and previous assumptions may need to be adjusted. 

Currently use the 55-135 and the 23 plus M lenses ie  v5 Summicron ,90 Elmarit and 28 Summicron ASPH.

I`m ready to try a 50 equivalent on the CL so (setting aside speed and AF ) how does the native CL 35 Summilux  compare to the the M "equivalent" ie the 35 Summicron or Summarit in terms of resolution and colour rendering .

Nothing wrong with the TL 35mm Lux at all it is a gorgeous as any 35mm M lens (people may disagree) it is however large and a bit on the heavy side, the render & colour are fabulous.

another option is the Sigma 30mm f1.4, not quite a 50, the render is like the old Contax Zeiss IMO, strong colour and contrast.

Another option is the Voigtlander 35mm f1.2II staying with manual focus and M mount, render is similar to the older 35mm M summilux (king of bokeh)

I have no other experience with 35mm lenses on my CL

• Like 1

I have the Summilux-M 35 Asph FLE and the Summilux-TL 35. Until recently the M lens was the one I took when taking the CL for a bike ride, but that was only because my smallest bag was too small for the TL version. Since I changed the Fogg Flute for a Soprano, it has been the TL version that comes with me. The M lens will soon be up for sale (see ebay from 9pm Sunday night!).

I prefer AF, but also the out of focus areas from the M version are not as smooth as from the TL version. The M version, plus adapter, is not light either, even though a bit smaller. They are both great lenses though.

I've not used the Summilux-TL 35mm lens, but that's because I have a Summilux 35mm v2, circa 1972, that I just cannot help but want to use all the time. It's not the sharpest lens wide open but it's light, compact, fast, and produces results whether on APS-C or FF that are simply as good as they can be. It's my normal lens on the CL, and the lens that's on the camera 8 times out of 10. 

G

• Like 1

If I understand the OP, my thoughts are that if you are going to use the CL, and want a 50mm equiv., you should get the 35TL.  I can't think of any justification to get a 35mm-M lens (50mm equiv.) to use with the CL unless you want to get an M-body in the future so want to use the lens for both bodies.

Cheers.

Summilux-TL 35 is really good. It was my favourite TL lenses, before being replaced by Q2 50mm crop mode. 

TL35 will provide you fast enough AF speed. Although not always reliable in precision. 
It is quite big and heavy for an APS-C lens. But close focus ability and superb IQ will make it more suitable for CL than any 35mm M lenses. 

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

If I understand the OP, my thoughts are that if you are going to use the CL, and want a 50mm equiv., you should get the 35TL.  I can't think of any justification to get a 35mm-M lens (50mm equiv.) to use with the CL unless you want to get an M-body in the future so want to use the lens for both bodies.

Cheers.

Thanks.... I probably should have said that I have three M bodies (film)

25 minutes ago, cj3209 said:

Thank you for all the replies  .... very helpful.

Seems like an overwhelming case for the 35TL unless I want a more vintage /classic look like G`s 35 V2.(and the opportunity to use such a lens one one of my film bodies ) .

That is tempting though .

Seems like you can ever have enough 35`s . :)

I should have added: I have also had a Summaron-M 35/2.8, which I bought as the most compact 50mm-equivalent for the CL/TL2. In the end though, much though I enjoy occasionally shooting with a character lens (I also own the Thambar and 7.3cm Hektor), I prefer the clean, modern, sharp look as my default option. So I sold it.

• Like 1

I just got the Sigma 30/1.4 for my CL, and I really like it a lot. Quick focusing, very smooth bokeh, light. I previously had the Summilux-TL 35. It’s also a great lens, the best of the TL primes, but it is heavy and quite long with the hood attached. 
It also costs 5x what the Sigma sell for...

• Like 4

2 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

I should have added: I have also had a Summaron-M 35/2.8, which I bought as the most compact 50mm-equivalent for the CL/TL2. In the end though, much though I enjoy occasionally shooting with a character lens (I also own the Thambar and 7.3cm Hektor), I prefer the clean, modern, sharp look as my default option. So I sold it.

That`s the always the rub ,isn`t it .

Our eyes become accustomed very quickly to a modern , sharp look .

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Michael Markey said:

That`s the always the rub ,isn`t it .

Our eyes become accustomed very quickly to a modern , sharp look .

It comes down to your photographic intent - why you are taking photos and what you want to use them for. One can be seduced by an antique fuzzy look, or by bleeding edge clarity of detail. Or one can look beyond to the image you want to create. That applies as much to those who use the darkroom as those who use the computer screen.

6 hours ago, LocalHero1953 said:

It comes down to your photographic intent - why you are taking photos and what you want to use them for. One can be seduced by an antique fuzzy look, or by bleeding edge clarity of detail. Or one can look beyond to the image you want to create. That applies as much to those who use the darkroom as those who use the computer screen.

This much is true .

My own taste veers towards a more low contrast look (I`m shooting the CL with a ZM C Sonnar today) .

However 80% of my stuff is shot for other people so I get pulled toward a more modern image  .

It`s my dilemma .

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2