Computer "power" for M10 Monochrom or M10-R?

sml_photo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have no problems processing RAW images from my M-P (Type 240).  The specs for the computer are:
iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, Late 2015)
3.2 GHz Quad-Core Intel Core i5
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

IF I get a M10M or M10-R, would my existing computer be appropriate?  If not, what is recommended?
Anyone having any issues with their "older" computers?

Thanks.

Give it a try. I think you will be okay. I used a 2014 5K 27" iMac for a few years with 42MP files and didn't have any issues. I've since upgraded to top spec'ed 2019 5K 27" iMac and this machine is a monster 😎. The new top spec'ed 2020 iMac just announced even more so.

If you do decide to upgrade, for photography I recommend you spend your resources here:

-100% SSD 

-Most memory you can afford at least 32GB ( after-market much more affordable than Apple memory and very easy to install in an iMac) 

-Top CPU with at least 6 Cores 8 Cores better

-Thunderbolt ports for what is now very affordable external SSDs and SD card readers

-UHS-II or Thunderbolt SD card Reader.

*Recommended memory by iMac model https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/apple/memory/iMac

Edited by LBJ2
  • Like 1

I used a 2015 MacBook Pro 13” for my Sony A7rII files - 42 MP. Not the fastest in the world, but completely usable. I got a new Mac Mini a few months ago and it is noticeably faster. Also quick with the M10M files. 

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 2 Stunden schrieb sml_photo:

I have no problems processing RAW images from my M-P (Type 240).  The specs for the computer are:
32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

IF I get a M10M or M10-R, would my existing computer be appropriate?  If not, what is recommended?

Thanks.

I am using such an 2015 iMac with my M10 Monochrom and my Hasselblad X1DII files and it works quite well. As You know the computers are never fast enough but with these file sizes it is a fast a convenient working.

Greetings

Wolfram

• Like 1

16 GB RAM on last years macbook works okay with 40Mpixel M10M files until I start laying in luminance masks, to map the wide sensor dynamic range to a visually appealing range, then the hour glass spins ; 32 GB+ for me next time ( timing that should correspond to the second generation after the big swap from Intel to ARM processors ).

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 8:46 PM, sml_photo said:

32 GB 1867 MHz DDR3

Thanks.

I have a 2014 5k 27” iMac and edit a7Riii and Fuji 50R photos fine. Have at least 32GB of Ram. I can’t remember. It may be 64gb. 

• Like 1