• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Received the lens today and ran a few hundred shots in my production shop. It's a pleasure to use. I'm a rookie at autofocus but I thought the response was great - fast (noticeably quicker than the 45 2.8) and smooth with good accuracy on moving subjects. These are all shot at f1.4. A great fit on the Sigma fp - I expect it will be just as nice on the SL. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder

Image with Sigma 85 1.4 dg dn and Sigma fp. Additional blur was applied to the background in processing. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Image captured with Sigma fp + 85 at f1.4. 1/30sec ISO1250. Manually focused. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

They seem to have done a really fine job, specifically with the size and weight. I would like to try this with the CL to get an F2 130mm equivalent. 

Now if Leica could come out with an APSC 90mm summilux which is even smaller and lighter

I think it will soon end up in my backpack, software corrections aren't an issue for me and with the lens hood removed should be smaller than the 14-24 that I believe fits in very well with the S1.

Hopefully Sigma will put out of the hat also a nice and similarly compact 40 1.4.

Edited by PaoloPgC

At least Sigma got the memo. We want small and mighty lens for mirrorless. Not huge one ! 
APO-Summicron-SL line up are heavier than this 85mm DG DN. Which Sigma claims to be the best 85mm ever. 

Hurrah Sigma ! 
Who would have thought that Sigma would have been the most promising member of L-mount alliance ?

9 hours ago, nicci78 said:

At least Sigma got the memo. We want small and mighty lens for mirrorless. Not huge one ! 
APO-Summicron-SL line up are heavier than this 85mm DG DN. Which Sigma claims to be the best 85mm ever. 

Hurrah Sigma ! 
Who would have thought that Sigma would have been the most promising member of L-mount alliance ?

Yes, indeed!

• 2 weeks later...

I guess it’s a little concerning that all of the review samples were in Sony E-Mount it seems. Kinda curious to see how it performs on L-mount bodies before I can get excited. Also, while the lens is sharp it kind of presents the same sterile Sigma rendering that most of their Art/Sports series lenses (that aren’t the 35/1.2) have in the last 10 years or so. 

On 8/26/2020 at 7:50 AM, iiiNelson said:

I guess it’s a little concerning that all of the review samples were in Sony E-Mount it seems. Kinda curious to see how it performs on L-mount bodies before I can get excited. Also, while the lens is sharp it kind of presents the same sterile Sigma rendering that most of their Art/Sports series lenses (that aren’t the 35/1.2) have in the last 10 years or so. 

My Sigma 35 1.2 DG DN and 105 1.4 (Nikon mount with adaptor) render well on my SL and S1H.  The reviews on Sony E bodies really do not equate to L mount bodies.  I agree.  

I dont think it has to do with image quality, but probably with autofocus performance. Image quality should be about the same, but as usually with l mount autofocus sucks...

So they rather release the lens for reviews for sony in which no one one will complain about the autofocus cause its excellent and than release it for l mount, this way they avoid any bad publicity.

On ‎8‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:05 PM, Malabito said:

I dont think it has to do with image quality, but probably with autofocus performance. Image quality should be about the same, but as usually with l mount autofocus sucks...

So they rather release the lens for reviews for sony in which no one one will complain about the autofocus cause its excellent and than release it for l mount, this way they avoid any bad publicity.

Agree 100%

Got mine today and, wow, is this lens sharp. Super crisp at f/1.4 – even in the corners. What most amazes me is the excellent chromatic aberration control at f/1.4. 

And without lens-hood extremely compact for a f/1.4. 70 gramms lighter and 19,2mm shorter than the SL 90mm

Really looking forward to a comparison with the Summicrons. The MTF-Charts indicate, that it is not much worse at f1,4 than the Summicrons at f2.0. So I think it could even beat the SL-Lenses @ f2.0. But I guess the rendering of the SL-lenses and built quality is still a bit better. 

4 hours ago, AphotoBerlin said:

[...]I guess the rendering of the SL-lenses and built quality is still a bit better.

Exactly, and there was a nice video comparison, in this regard, between the 50 RF and the summicron; a perfectly corrected lens is not necessarily the best lens.

Perhaps, personally I don't like much the 35 1.2 DG DN, while I find the 45's rendering much more interesting.
It will be interesting to see how it will compare with the Panasonic 85 1.8.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb PaoloPgC:

Exactly, and there was a nice video comparison, in this regard, between the 50 RF and the summicron; a perfectly corrected lens is not necessarily the best lens.

Perhaps, personally I don't like much the 35 1.2 DG DN, while I find the 45's rendering much more interesting.
It will be interesting to see how it will compare with the Panasonic 85 1.8.

I guess the new 85s rendering falls in-between those two lenses, the rendering is pretty clean and buttery smooth, but – to my taste – not too sterile and still has some character.

The only downsides seem to be the maximum magnification and the heavy pincushion distortion (in theory). On the SL2, the distortion is already corrected if you open the files in Photoshop. And the corrected pincushion distortion only helps with an even sharpness across the frame, because it blows up the already extremely sharp center und compresses the corners somewhat. 

One thing I couldn't figure out is the button on the lens. There seems to be no function. And the continuous AF is a little nervous, but the hitrate even at f/1.4 is pretty high. 

Well, I've had the same impression, and luckily this 85mm is also compact, that's why I'm probably going to buy it.
I also hope a similar 40mm 1.4 DG DN is on the schedule.

The software correction is definetly not an issue for me, considered the trade off.

About the button you should be able to assign it certain functions.

Edited by PaoloPgC

Yes, it is a really compact lens... and very sharp with smooth bokeh. Below 100% Crop of photo (sorry... the cat was the only model available).

Complete photo posted here:

Edited by FrankX

Received the lens today and ran a few hundred shots in my production shop. It's a pleasure to use. I'm a rookie at autofocus but I thought the response was great - fast (noticeably quicker than the 45 2.8) and smooth with good accuracy on moving subjects. These are all shot at f1.4. A great fit on the Sigma fp - I expect it will be just as nice on the SL.

Edited by Alan Friedman