M-P lens for wildlife photograpy.

Levon17

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello! This is my first post here. I,m planing on going "around the world" in my overland vehicle in the future. I would like to keep using my M-P Typ 240. Such a trip will include most types of photography. Travel, street, landscape etc. So I'm looking into some new lenses. Does anyone have any tips on a lens I can use for long range wildlife photography on my M-P? Long Leica R zoom lenses? Spottingscope? This is all new to me. Let's say I use my binoculars, and see a small bird on the back of an elephant, as an example.. ;)

I have always used the Vario-Elmar R 105-280 with excellent results, also with Apo-1.4x and Apo-2x extenders. For Elephants as well as for birds ;) Spotting-scopes are mostly used on a tripod, which is rather unpractical for wildlife in the field. A bean-bag, chestpod or even monopod work better for your intended use.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I have always used the Vario-Elmar R 105-280 with excellent results, also with Apo-1.4x and Apo-2x extenders. For Elephants as well as for birds ;) Spotting-scopes are mostly used on a tripod, which is rather unpractical for wildlife in the field. A bean-bag, chestpod or even monopod work better for your intended use.

Thank you! I will take a look at that one!  I have a rooftop tent (with openings in four directions) on my vehicle, so my bedroom might be "in the field" occasionally.. ;)

most rangefinder users wouldn't go over 75 or 90mm because it's not optimized for tele lenses.  jaapv recommended you a R lens that you need to use EVF or LV to focus, it is TERRIBLE (no offends jaapv), it takes 1+ second per shot, and no IBS what-so-ever.  Unless the subject is waiting for you all day to shoot, otherwise you will miss every moment.  If you are traveling light, stick with 35, 50 + (21, 24 or 28); note that VM new lenses are worth to look at.  For 70mm+ range, you better buy an used Japanese full-frame body + 70-200 used lens, it will give you much faster, cheaper and better results. 

I always say M system is a vintage convertible weekend car which is very enjoyable but you can't take it to a track-day, if you know what I mean.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, jaeger said:

it's not optimized for tele lenses

Would you please explain what is not "optimized" on the M240, which is the first rangefinder  camera to offer an EVF for long and macro lenses, even if the quality is a bit 2010?

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I went last year to Africa and got me the full frame 47MP Nikon SLR with proper lenses and sold them off after the trip.

The new 300 f4 with a TC was spectacular.

You will want reach. You will need to crop. You will want image stabilization. Good ISO performance...

In comparison to how much the trip had cost, that was overall a small expense.

You will also want to train with the camera before you go... Just my 2 cents.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 9/15/2020 at 8:26 PM, Bigdukeron said:

I went last year to Africa and got me the full frame 47MP Nikon SLR with proper lenses and sold them off after the trip.

The new 300 f4 with a TC was spectacular.

You will want reach. You will need to crop. You will want image stabilization. Good ISO performance...

In comparison to how much the trip had cost, that was overall a small expense.

You will also want to train with the camera before you go... Just my 2 cents.

I can fully understand you. I have the Nikon 300/4 and TC, and love both that lens, and that combination. 

• Like 1

Since you allready have an overland vehicle, go for the Apo-Telyt-R 1600mm F5.6. You should be able to mount it on the vehicle, no lousy monopod/tripod needed. (The owner from Katar seems to do it this way)

Jokes aside, i would test and practise before you start your adventure. The body of the M240 is the best of the digital M's to handle big lenses, but it is still an M-Body---> not designed for that task. But with the original leica handgrip it gets better. 

Have you experience with MF-Tele-Lenses? That is one of the most important points. Of course they can deliever beautiful results, but only in the experienced/right hands.

My own Experience with longer lenses is, that the Vario-Elmar-R 80-200 F4.0 on the M240 is allready a hefty combination. It fits much better on R8/R9 (or other bigger digital bodies). I do not like the M-Body ergonomics for big (>1kg) Tele-Lenses. (handgrip is highly recommended)

There are some really stunning R Lenses (Fixed& Zoom) for wildlife, but do you really want to take them on your offroad vehicle on such a long trip? They consume some space for safe transport, are not weather sealed and expensive. 

• Like 2