Rancho

Favorite Fully Mechanical Leica R camera?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, telyt said:

The 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R can use standard filters.  The early versions can use an E60 filter, the later versions use a 55mm filter.

So I do have the earlier version of the 60mm Elmarit R. So with the E60 filter, the the numeric “60” corresponds with the diameter of the lens - 60mm - correct? Bc if that’s the case, the diameter of my lens is (I believe) 62mm. That would mean the E60 wouldn’t fit.

I have had it with R bodies. First an R5 which gave all sorts of problems after 6 months, of which lightleaks were the least. Unusable in any case. Then my wonderful R6.2, after same period of using: light leaks, mirror got stuck, etc etc. There you go with your all mechanical, repairable camera idea. In that age (after SL etc.), I always said, Leica can’t make reflex camera’s. And it is sort of true. Stick to M if you want Leica. Some R lenses are invincible though...

14 hours ago, telyt said:

The 60mm Macro-Elmarit-R can use standard filters.  The early versions can use an E60 filter, the later versions use a 55mm filter.

3 hours ago, Mona said:

So I do have the earlier version of the 60mm Elmarit R. So with the E60 filter, the the numeric “60” corresponds with the diameter of the lens - 60mm - correct? Bc if that’s the case, the diameter of my lens is (I believe) 62mm. That would mean the E60 wouldn’t fit.

My understanding is that earlier versions of this lens used a Series 7 filter, whereas later versions use an E55 filter. I don't think any ever had an E60 filter. The Series 7 filter comprises an unmounted glass disc which drops into a mounting ring, which in turn screws into the lens. You don't need a lens hood to do this, though some lens hoods will alternatively allow the glass disc to be dropped in and then be screwed into the lens.  The E55 filter is an integrated filter glass mounted in a ring. The "official" Leica Series 7 mounting ring is I think 14161, though Series 7 rings from other manufacturers should mount OK. You then also need the Series 7 blank filter glass of whatever type (coloured, UV, IR or whatever) you need.