Got my m10-R today. Sending it back tomorrow

thedwp

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 9 Stunden schrieb scott kirkpatrick:

How long do your cameras stay perfect?  If you use them, that is.  After 5 years of use, my cameras are about an 8.5 to 9.0 on KEH's scale.  The tiny piece of chipped paint would not affect that.

As long as I own it. And of corse I use it.

• Like 1

What I would do with that missing bit of color: I would fix it.

I would ask Leica what color to use. Certainly I have no such color just un my desk 😳The color must be kind of a paste that dries, gets hard and is not water soluble. The bigest problem is probably to get that color.

A good accurate rangefinder would be a keeper, forget the paint.  When the rangefinder goes out of adjustment send it in for warranty and have the paint fixed.  Leica will perhaps replace the whole dial, the camera dissembled and cleaned, new covering... they love to replace those. You’ll get a new camera returned.  If the rangefinder is inaccurate, a 40mp $8k camera becomes a Sony, send it back.  

• Like 3

To be fair, the numbers on the ISO dial could have flaked off in shipping or sometime after the quality check as part of a manufacturing defect, dirt under the paint etc. I would send it back too and Leica will be pleased to sort it. These things do happen.

400 shots is normal. They test every camera whilst being built.

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

vor 8 Stunden schrieb M10 for me:

I would ask Leica what color to use. Certainly I have no such color just un my desk 😳The color must be kind of a paste that dries, gets hard and is not water soluble. The bigest problem is probably to get that color.

Just drawing with color is of no use. I assume the numbers are engraved (deepened) .....

vor 13 Minuten schrieb analog-digital:

Just drawing with color is of no use. I assume the numbers are engraved (deepened) .....

of course you are right. the numbers are engraved and filled with color. 

9 hours ago, M10 for me said:

That is what a paint stick is, it's made to fill engravings by rubbing it over the engraving and it leaves a filling of oil paint mixed with wax in the depression. Wipe off any excess from the surface leaving a pristine infill which fully dries over the next couple of weeks.

• Like 2

vor 34 Minuten schrieb 250swb:

That is what a paint stick is, it's made to fill engravings by rubbing it over the engraving and it leaves a filling of oil paint mixed with wax in the depression. Wipe off any excess from the surface leaving a pristine infill which fully dries over the next couple of weeks.

Thanks. Understand now. I have actually the exact same problem with my silver M10. Will go to look for a paint stick.

26 minutes ago, M10 for me said:

Thanks. Understand now. I have actually the exact same problem with my silver M10. Will go to look for a paint stick.

The company to search for is Markal Paint-Stik, they come in many colours.

• Like 1

Yes, that’s what I’ve used for filling in faded numbers on my lenses.  The white Markal Paint-Stik works well but the yellow is ‘too-yellowIsh’ and the orange is ‘too-reddish’.  Maybe I should just try to mix them together?

Easy to buy online and not expensive.  

Funny, I only just looked my camera over to see if it had any similar, potentially valuable flaws. Sadly, mine appears to be perfect. I hadn't given such things the slightest thought until now. When I get a new Leica, especially a newly released one, all I worry about is whether or not it operational and functioning perfectly.  Cosmetics are of almost no concern. As long as it doesnt have a dent in it, I'm good.

What I find perplexing is that the OP failed to notice any difference between the files from the 10-P and 10-R, yet eagled eyed the paint flaw immediately. Admittedly I had a M10, but the difference in the output files smacked me over the head with the first shot I took. Perhaps the physical flaw was a tell tale indicator of a lemon and the camera indeed was a bum copy. Or perhaps the OP's priorities are completely orthogonal to mine. Dunno.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, analog-digital said:

If the numbers are engraved, the question arises with the faulty M10R:

is the one number not fully engraved or only part of the white color gone?

My conclusion from the image was that the number hadn't been fully engraved, but I only looked at it again after the OP had made some further comments, usually it is just missing paint.

Lets look at this from Leica's perspective.

They could care less wether the OP sends it back and demands a new in exchange. They will simply give him another one, replace the dial or fill in the paint and sell it as a demo - probably right at the Wetzlar shop or off to someone like Popflash to sell at discount.

There is absolutely no reason on planet Earth why this should be the OP's problem to solve. 

• Like 1

On 8/6/2020 at 10:10 PM, Kwesi said:

Lets look at this from Leica's perspective.

They could care less wether the OP sends it back and demands a new in exchange. They will simply give him another one, replace the dial or fill in the paint and sell it as a demo - probably right at the Wetzlar shop or off to someone like Popflash to sell at discount.

There is absolutely no reason on planet Earth why this should be the OP's problem to solve. 

I would argue that this fault and thread is bad publicity for leica.

11 hours ago, steve 1959 said:

On what basis? That reports here are representative of actual fault frequency? That Leica doesn't deal with faults when they occur, when the OP has not yet had a response from Leica? Or because paying as much as we do for Leicas means there should never, ever, be any faults, even in the real world?

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 2

vor 11 Stunden schrieb steve 1959:

It's fair to say that mistakes can happen. The bad thing is that the quality control was bad in this case.

But now it depends on how Leica deals with and solves the problem.

• Like 2

• jaapv locked this topic