Got my m10-R today. Sending it back tomorrow

thedwp

13 hours ago, Mikep996 said:

A product  (in the USA) doesn't have to be labeled "Made in..." but if it says "Made in USA," per the FTC, none of the pricinple parts can be made outside of the US.  IOW, in the case of a Leica M, something like the Leica red badge, or maybe the strap lugs could be made elsewhere but the body and any "principle parts" of the camera would have to be produced in the US.

As has been noted, the OP did NOT turn this into a 9 page thread!  :)

How are you going to do that?  The principal part, the sensor, is probably made in Israel, on a machine made in the Netherlands, from a wafer made in India, soldered to a motherboard designed in Germany and made in China, in Japan, sold through Japan and subassembled in Portugal, screwed together in Germany
Umm... made in where???

Leica  machined parts like  the M top plate and lens barrels are made in Wetzlar, BTW (not by Leica).

https://www.weller-feinwerktechnik.de/inhalt/home.html

• Like 3

"How are you going to do that? "

Quite right...you can't. That's why there are virtually NO electronics/cameras, etc "made in USA."  And, under US regs, there probably wouldn't be any labeled "Made in Germany."  Not saying the FTC reg is good or bad, only saying that's the way it is.  Apple, for example, states "Designed in California, Made in China."  I suppose Leica could say, "Designed in Germany, assembled in Portugal using foreign parts!  :)

On 8/8/2020 at 7:01 PM, Reini said:

Yes it's bad advertising. It's just not an electronic problem and not a technical one that can occur anywhere. You can't miss this. At the latest, the cleaning lady should have seen it dusted off and packed up the last time ... :()

What would you think if you bought a Mercedes ... and the star is missing in the front? ;))

That it transferred into a BMW?

2 minutes ago, Reini said:

Not necessarily. But what if you buy a BMW and you're missing a few horsepower? 😁

Or worse still, you find that the indicators actually work. Obviously that would be one that slipped through QC. 

• Haha 1

vor 21 Minuten schrieb Chaemono:

It’s seems to me some users here want simply to put the blame of the missing white paint on Portugal. 🤣

Please do not say against Portugal and the habitants !!! There they paint the most beautiful >Azulejos<. There are actually no mistakes!

• Like 2

There is little international consistency in labelling, despite the fact that “made in xxx” is apparently thousands of years old.  The WTO has harmonisation as a goal, though I’m not sure of its priority.  Here such labelling is under discussion.

The rules, such as they are, relate to “country of origin”, and the accepted test seems to be “substantial transformation” - a technical term which includes final assembly (transforming a wheel into a car).  I haven’t looked at the EU rules on the issue, but I suspect they follow the WTO approach.  Assembling the various parts, powering up the camera to check the electronics and firmware, testing and calibrating the rangefinder, testing the shutter, applying paint and otherwise transforming a box of parts into a camera ready for use would seem to justify Germany as the country of origin of the camera, and the use of “Made in Wetzlar”.

The US rules on sourcing different critical parts doesn’t seem to be universally accepted.  The label “Made in the USA” brings to mind Monday morning cars from the 1970s.  Probably unfair, but for motorbikes, Harleys and Indians are quite different from KTMs, BMWs and Ducatis; in cars, a Ford or an Audi ...

Edited by IkarusJohn
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, IkarusJohn said:

“made in xxx” is apparently thousands of years old

As far as I am aware, "made in England" was first used in 1895 (the year that HP sauce was created) ;)

5 minutes ago, IkarusJohn said:

I had a quick look on Wikipedia (I know, I know); the page refers to place of origin marks on jars dating back to 3,000 BC in Egypt.

I don't think that England produced much worth marking back then. :lol: The rather random trivia repository in my mind seems to have recorded that the British industry attempted to use the "made in England" marking as a commercial weapon against their German counterparts, which rather backfired, as the rest of the world preferred "made in Germany". 

• Haha 1

• jaapv locked this topic