CL - Histogram and Exposure Compensation - Explain it to me like I'm 5

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi All,

Just bought a CL. First NEW Leica I've ever bought. Long history of film and digital cameras. Lastest 3.2 FW.

I can't wrap my head around this though:  Shutter priority mode,  I'm looking through the EVF, I see the scene, and I move the (factory set) right wheel to change the exposure compensation. The EVF AND the histogram I see change accordingly, but then when I press the shutter button down halfway to focus, the exposure preview  also appears (I think that's what that is?) , and it does not at all match what I was looking at before I pressed the shutter. Before I bought the CL I was under the impression that the EVF constantly shows the how the final image will look, but I am not finding that to be the case. The 1/2 button press of the shutter and the subsequent exposure preview DOES show me what the final result will look like.

With this behavior, what good is the histogram???! It's not showing me the final expected result in its "live view". BTW, the 1/2 button press does also cause the histogram to shift along with the presentation of the exposure preview...

The EC wheel only appears to effect the live EVF image...Is this intended? Why?

Please explain this to me like I'm 5.  I don't get it...

Edited by dadu007

More fiddling...I realize that it DOES work as expected in Aperature priority mode, i.e. the Live histogram and EVF and match what I see after holding down the shutter halfway to focus (exposure preview matches live view).

Why the difference?

Dadu,  welcome. 

There is a learning curve. Start with the default settings and work progressively through the modes of interest to you. Don't move on until you understand what is happening with each mode. 

When you find a group of settings which suit your style and needs SAVE THEM AS A USER PROFILE.

Do not expect to be an instant expert. Practise often. Confidence builds. ENJOY!

• Like 1

Hi David,

Thanks for the welcome!  I'm really excited about this new camera. 

I did reset the camera to factory defaults and tried this again and I see the same behavior:

In shutter priority mode, the live EVF display does not match the exposure preview (what you see with a 1/2 press of the shutter button) after adjusting exposure compensation.

Those two things DO match when in P, A, or M modes (behavior is as expected), and thus my question.

And so I'm wondering...Am I I the only one seeing this? Can someone verify if they are seeing the same behavior (or not)?

Is the behavior in shutter priority mode intended? If so, what is the reasoning behind that?

I rarely use S-mode except for long lens photography. If you set a fixed ISO, you should see when there is an exposure error indication. Indoor testing today is not conducive to testing your parameters. If you set Auto-ISO  with S-mode you may not see any darkening.  The ISO will adjust accordingly. It will only show when you exceed available light and need a tripod to continue. That is where M-mode comes into its own.

The CL is an excellent camera but it does call for a degree of concentration when switching modes.

• Like 1

Ah! See? That's the kind of answer I was looking for. 🙂

Under decent lighting, Auto-ISO seems to lead to the behavior I expect. I was using a fixed ISO.

I'll have to ponder the theory and thinking behind this functionality in S-mode, but thanks for getting me back on track!

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Dadu, I also recently picked up a CL and noticed similar behavior, though I only shoot in manual mode.  It doesn’t bother me that sometimes the EVF is darker or lighter than expected, as I pay attention to the light meter indicator. Maybe it’s a habit from using my Ms!  The CL has turned out to be a fun camera to use with my M glass and the Summicron-TL 23mm.  I hope you enjoy yours!