Sigma 100-400 F5-6.3 DG DN

ropo54

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

I have 100-400 and using (well, trying at least) it on TL2 and SL.

On SL it is perfectly fine, however on TL2 Stabilisation in menu is off every time I switch camera off and have to manually enable it every time.

Anyone has the same issue?

• 1 month later...

SL2 Sigma 100-400. Mule deer passed out after consuming mass quantities of crabapples. Not a great picture, just thought people might like seeing one of our North American city deer…

• 2 weeks later...

SL2-S + Sigma 100-400. My copy has no sharpness issues. Autofocus after Sony is so-so, but it is quite possible to shoot birds.

• 6 months later...

After reading some time ago about a firmware update for this lens that came out not too long after I ditched my previous copy, on a whim I decided to give it another try.  The main thing I noticed is that with the updated firmware, the spotty OS that previously plagued some shots is no longer an issue.

The main problem I had with the lens before was that it seemed to start getting softer on subject matter outside 10-12 meters, and declined progressively with distance.  Improved OS seems to help that, as does shooting in AF-S mode whenever the subject matter allows.  Using AF-C on closer subject matter, the CL's focus jitters necessitates clicking several shots on moving subject matter in order to get a few focused with critical accuracy.

Fortunately, the optical qualities of the lens helped by the improved OS now give it superb performance at near to moderate distances, and decent performance at longer distances, provided one has the patience to shoot multiple shots to ensure some critically-focused ones.  Again, this is a limitation of the CL, not the lens.

For my purposes, the firmware update took the lens from being undesirable due to its limitations, to being a relatively lightweight, good-handling, all-distance option for the CL; still far from perfect, but much improved.

Common Gliding Lizard at about 5 meters . . .

Brown-Throated Sunbird, around 5-7 meters . . . 

White-Throated Kingfisher, 100% crop, this one at about 18 meters . . . 

On 4/18/2022 at 12:53 PM, tritentrue said:

After reading some time ago about a firmware update for this lens that came out not too long after I ditched my previous copy, on a whim I decided to give it another try.  The main thing I noticed is that with the updated firmware, the spotty OS that previously plagued some shots is no longer an issue.

The main problem I had with the lens before was that it seemed to start getting softer on subject matter outside 10-12 meters, and declined progressively with distance.  Improved OS seems to help that, as does shooting in AF-S mode whenever the subject matter allows.  Using AF-C on closer subject matter, the CL's focus jitters necessitates clicking several shots on moving subject matter in order to get a few focused with critical accuracy.

Fortunately, the optical qualities of the lens helped by the improved OS now give it superb performance at near to moderate distances, and decent performance at longer distances, provided one has the patience to shoot multiple shots to ensure some critically-focused ones.  Again, this is a limitation of the CL, not the lens.

For my purposes, the firmware update took the lens from being undesirable due to its limitations, to being a relatively lightweight, good-handling, all-distance option for the CL; still far from perfect, but much improved.

Thanks for posting this and given all the noise about people moving to the 150-600 when it came out (the serious wildlife shooters) I'd rather dropped the idea of getting this lens. However, it does seem to offer a decent performance now looking at your shots and do people feel it makes for a good relatively lightweight alternative to the 90-280 now with better reach, plus the option of an extender to go to 560 if needed? For hiking and a general super zoom it seems to be a better option than lugging the 150-600 around if your not an out and out wildlife photographer?

1 hour ago, SJH said:

Thanks for posting this and given all the noise about people moving to the 150-600 when it came out (the serious wildlife shooters) I'd rather dropped the idea of getting this lens. However, it does seem to offer a decent performance now looking at your shots and do people feel it makes for a good relatively lightweight alternative to the 90-280 now with better reach, plus the option of an extender to go to 560 if needed? For hiking and a general super zoom it seems to be a better option than lugging the 150-600 around if your not an out and out wildlife photographer?

The 150-600mm is an all-around superb lens if one doesn't mind the weight.  Handling on the CL was not ideal for me, and it went once my SL2-S was gone.

Yes, for an all-purpose zoom that can do a pretty good job on birds as well, the 100-400mm is now a great option.  CL with grip, lens, tripod collar, and hood weigh in at just a hair over 1.8kg, making the whole setup almost a pound lighter than the 150-600mm alone.   

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 4/18/2022 at 1:53 PM, tritentrue said:

Great shots Rob.

Best,

Mike

Posted (edited)

Following are two 100% crops taken at 20+ yards using AF-C, posted here to illustrate what I wrote about needing to take multiple shots to ensure focused ones.  My supposition is, as previously mentioned, it's due at least in part to the CL's focus jitters, which I experienced to a lesser degree with each of the SL series bodies.  If someone has a different idea, I'd love to be proven wrong by any idea that leads to a solution.

The first shot is not critically focused, something I've seen in many of my own shots as well as some shots posted by others with the Sigma 100-400mm and 150-600mm lenses.  I noticed it occurring, but not nearly as often with the SL 90-280mm and Lumix 70-200mm (both f/2.8 and f/4, with and without teleconverters).  The second shot is focused optimally. Each had the same amount of sharpening applied.  Click on images once for best view.

Edited by tritentrue

That second shot is excellent!  In would say the first on is not so much out of focus, but generally softish. Maybe a vestige of motion blur or shutter slap?  In any case, Topaz Sharpen AI will bring it up to the level of the second one easily.

6 minutes ago, jaapv said:

That second shot is excellent!  In would say the first on is not so much out of focus, but generally softish. Maybe a vestige of motion blur or shutter slap?  In any case, Topaz Sharpen AI will bring it up to the level of the second one easily.

The second shot is what the lens is optically capable of 100% of the time.

I used electronic shutter and shot at 1/800, which is fast enough to freeze pretty much any perched bird in motion in these parts, with the possible exception of sunbirds and flowerpeckers.

If it were practical to post the whole series of shots I took of the Yellow Bittern, the issue with AF might be more obvious.  At any rate, with a better-stabilized image in the finder since the last firmware update, the issue with subject matter further than 10-12 meters away is much improved.  The lens is capable of really good imagery, as can be seen in other shots I posted in the CL image thread earlier today.

1 hour ago, tritentrue said:

The second shot is what the lens is optically capable of 100% of the time.

I used electronic shutter and shot at 1/800, which is fast enough to freeze pretty much any perched bird in motion in these parts, with the possible exception of sunbirds and flowerpeckers.

If it were practical to post the whole series of shots I took of the Yellow Bittern, the issue with AF might be more obvious.  At any rate, with a better-stabilized image in the finder since the last firmware update, the issue with subject matter further than 10-12 meters away is much improved.  The lens is capable of really good imagery, as can be seen in other shots I posted in the CL image thread earlier today.

Thanks for this really appreciated - great image in the second shot. I think it looks like a good viable option now if you want longer reach than the 90-280 SL (with adapter options as well) and not the bulk off the 150-600. I'm warming more and more to the Sigma DG DN lenses now, I've just acquired the 35mm 1.4 and 85 1.4, whilst my SL lenses are excellent the margins are now very close.