Sigma 100-400 F5-6.3 DG DN

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 10/14/2020 at 7:02 AM, michali said:

Dunk- what distances are you working at?

I recently picked up a used Canon EF 180mm f/3.5L Macro USM  which gives one longer subject distance in macro & also works with the 1.4x Canon for macro. I use it on the SL2 with the Sigma MC-21 adapter. AF however's not great with this lens, in any event I use MF for macro. Maybe see if you can rent one of these & give it a try?

See images in the link below.

Canon EF 180 Macro is an option ... However, recently tried using Leica R 100/2.8 APO macro with Leitz R 2x APO extender = 200/5.6 capable of 1:1 life size imaging with the Panasonic S1R ... and it works fine for current Ivy Mining Bees project https://www.l-camera-forum.com/topic/305981-images-from-panasonic-cameras-merged/?do=findComment&comment=4061326

BW

dunk 

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Through my window. SL in apsc mode @ 400mm (with some cropping).     Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Couple more from SL2 and Sigma, huge crops, really do prefer to get the birds perched in the tree rather than on the feeders but nothing was obliging today. Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden! Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

CL + Sigma + 1.4X . . .  White-Throated Kingfisher . . .  Hello guest! Please register or sign in to view the hidden content. Hallo Gast! Du willst die Bilder sehen? Einfach registrieren oder anmelden!

Posted Images

5 hours ago, Boojay said:

Nice collection of Starlings Ken.  I haven't heard anything about firmware for the 100-400 yet, or anything back from Sigma on some test images I sent them.   I'm still using the lens with some success, for some subjects, in some conditions and wouldn't be without it.   It doesn't give (me) quite the IQ I would like with anything shot at distance, and frankly I haven't seen anything from others unless in near range that compares to the images Rob shows us from his R lenses, but I remain hopeful that I and it can improve 😀.  Our son has recently purchased the Panasonic S5 so he is very happy to have use of it too now.

Thanks, Jayne. I agree completely with your assessment, both of the lens and of Rob's mastery with his R gear. I bought the dock, since it's such a small investment, and I have the very fine 70 macro as well, in hopes that something can be done. But I suspect there'll instead be a newer version eventually, and we'll just have to swallow most of our investment. I do like the size and handling of the lens very much.

Even though I ditched the Sigma 100-400mm + 1.39X😎  teleconverter along with the Lumix 70-200mm f/4 a few weeks ago, I still follow the rumors sites in the hope that the alliance partners will come up with some new options.  I kept my Panasonic teleconverters in the hope that maybe there's a long prime somewhere in the pipeline with which they will work better than they did with the zoom.

For shooters who deal only with near subject matter, the Sigma is an incredible value. In fact, before I parted with it I was tempted to go to the local bird park and stockpile a hundred or so close shots of captive critters so I could dazzle folks here with my "craft."  But my friends in the wild would not have forgiven me! 😉

From my last outing with the Sigma:  my little myna friend below may not be colorful, but he chose to honor me with his trust . . .  

Those are lovely, Rob: thanks so much for them!

I find the photos with the SL to be significantly better than those with the CL across the entire focal length. I'm hanging onto the Sigma for a bit longer, in hopes of a firmware upgrade. I messed around with the dock yesterday, and it's a nice piece of kit.

8 hours ago, tritentrue said:

Even though I ditched the Sigma 100-400mm + 1.39X😎  teleconverter along with the Lumix 70-200mm f/4 a few weeks ago, I still follow the rumors sites in the hope that the alliance partners will come up with some new options.  I kept my Panasonic teleconverters in the hope that maybe there's a long prime somewhere in the pipeline with which they will work better than they did with the zoom.

For shooters who deal only with near subject matter, the Sigma is an incredible value. In fact, before I parted with it I was tempted to go to the local bird park and stockpile a hundred or so close shots of captive critters so I could dazzle folks here with my "craft."  But my friends in the wild would not have forgiven me! 😉

From my last outing with the Sigma:  my little myna friend below may not be colorful, but he chose to honor me with his trust . . .  

This is a lovely shot.  How would you characterize "deal only with near subject matter"?

I have a lot of critters running around the yard in the house I now reside, about 1 acre of property.  Would you say the 100-400 sigma or 70-200 Panny would be appropriate here (with or without their matching teleconverters..)

thx

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am really impressed, Tritentrue, what you can achieve with the SL +R Lens combination.

I bought the 3,4/180 mm Telyt two years ago when a trip to Amazon came up. Last year I bought the 4/280 Telyt to use it on another trip, which was cancelled. due to COVID. I recently used the 280 in the Peruvian Andes (I live in Peru).  Now I am in Germany and close to switch to an L-Mount lens either the 70-200 2,8 from Panasonic or the Sigma 100-400. We took some of the shots in the early morning. which is preferable time for wildlife. So I thought the Panasonic with 2,8 would be preferable even it does not have the reach.

Why did you gave up both options and stayed with the R lenses? Does IQ outweigh the advantage of having autofocus ? 

I bought the R lenses because I am coming from the M-System and like the challenge of manual focus. If I see the interviews with Peter Karbe about the manufacturing process of lenses I also have not much confidence in the long term reliability of these zoom lenses. But this is another topic.

So what would you recommend. The  first three shots were taken from a boat handheld with the 180 , the Vicunas with the 280, also handheld.

Thank you for your advice

10 hours ago, bags27 said:

I find the photos with the SL to be significantly better than those with the CL across the entire focal length.

That was my experience, too, Ken.  But even with plenty of contrasting edges, etc. for the lens to "bite" on at longer distances, even on flat surfaces where OIS couldn't throw the focus point, I couldn't get critically sharp shots with either.  

3 hours ago, steveBK said:

This is a lovely shot.  How would you characterize "deal only with near subject matter"?

I have a lot of critters running around the yard in the house I now reside, about 1 acre of property.  Would you say the 100-400 sigma or 70-200 Panny would be appropriate here (with or without their matching teleconverters..)

thx

Thank you.  The Sigma gave me critical accuracy on most shots inside six or seven meters, with focus accuracy appearing to diminish progressively with increased distance from the subject matter.  The issue could be caused in part or exacerbated by some deficiency in my technique, as I see that at least one user, Jayne @Boojay, gets spectacular details in some of her shots at longer distances.  But most of the shots I see here from other users look pretty much like the results I got.

Of the two lenses you mention, the Sigma with or without TC-1411 would surely serve you better than the 70-200mm f/4 Panasonic, as the Panasonic's IQ takes a hit with either teleconverter attached, much more so with the 2X.  Anecdotally, the Sigma is a brighter lens.

3 hours ago, Stefan Herzberg said:

I am really impressed, Tritentrue, what you can achieve with the SL +R Lens combination.

I bought the 3,4/180 mm Telyt two years ago when a trip to Amazon came up. Last year I bought the 4/280 Telyt to use it on another trip, which was cancelled. due to COVID. I recently used the 280 in the Peruvian Andes (I live in Peru).  Now I am in Germany and close to switch to an L-Mount lens either the 70-200 2,8 from Panasonic or the Sigma 100-400. We took some of the shots in the early morning. which is preferable time for wildlife. So I thought the Panasonic with 2,8 would be preferable even it does not have the reach.

Why did you gave up both options and stayed with the R lenses? Does IQ outweigh the advantage of having autofocus ? 

I bought the R lenses because I am coming from the M-System and like the challenge of manual focus. If I see the interviews with Peter Karbe about the manufacturing process of lenses I also have not much confidence in the long term reliability of these zoom lenses. But this is another topic.

So what would you recommend. The  first three shots were taken from a boat handheld with the 180 , the Vicunas with the 280, also handheld.

Thank you for your advice

Thank you for your kind words. 

After abandoning the f/4 Panasonic, I considered trying the f/2.8; but a couple of the reviews I read showed the lens to be not so great wide open.

As for your questions about my opting for R lenses over the modern ones, it comes from a long history of increasing distrust in autofocus and image stabilization. I'm sure you well know that when shooting critters, there are times when you have one brief instant to get the shot else you lose the opportunity.  If AF balks or misses, or OIS throws the focus point, the opportunity is lost.  With R lenses and manual focus, I have control, right down to the exact placement of the focal plane if the subject allows enough time.  If I blow the shot, it's entirely my fault, not the fault of the gear. 

And, as can be seen in your fantastic heron shot above, Leica's optics are still as good as it gets, even the three- and four-decades-old designs.

Some years ago a well-known gear commentator answered a reader's question about whether a piece of gear is "good" or not by saying that a piece of gear is "good" only if it does what the user needs it to do.  For someone needing a lightweight kit or who has vision challenges, the MF 4/280 might not be a "good" lens.  But for me, for now, while I still have the health and enthusiasm to handle them, R telephotos and extenders give me the best option available for what I want to achieve.

That said, I'm always poking through the rumors websites, looking forward to the next marvel of modern technology and optics . . . 

• 1 month later...

Used the lens for the first time in a bit, mostly as an experiment and break from film. Not wildly enthusiastic, but I'm done complaining (ha!).  With the CL. What follows (I believe): Northern Flicker, Red Tail, Downy, and some Bourbon.

Edited by bags27
On 9/2/2020 at 8:21 PM, jaapv said:

Another thing I noticed: using Electronic Shutter improves results on the CL. I don't know whether this is shutter slap - it is considerably lighter than the SL after all - or that there is an influence on AF - we know that tracking focus works best with ES.

Sigma SA sent me 2 lenses to try out yesterday, the 100-400mm & 85mm f1.4.

I've been playing around with the 100-400mm on both the SL2 & CL. My first impressions are that the 100-400mm certainly punches above it weight, very sharp & good detail. 

Having read about some issues here, I agree with you Jaap, there certainly seems to be an issue with shutter slap on the CL, in fact also on the SL2, but slightly less so. 

I tried a couple of hand held shots, you're right the results are far better with the Electronic Shutter. Obviously at lower speeds it's much more apparent.

The shutter slap also affects images at higher shutter speeds (see my next post).

Electronic Shutter-

Mechanical Shutter-

Edited by michali

At 1/800s

Electronic Shutter-

Mechanical Shutter-

• 2 months later...
On 8/14/2020 at 8:22 AM, Boojay said:

Thanks so much Rob, I'll be happy when I manage to get as much detail from a bird shot as you, just once, I'd be satisfied!

You two are going to make me spend money on this thing!  Wonderful photographs.  I’m seeing this month later of course.  I wonder the focus issues have improved.