Summicron-R DOF different in center vs edges

reskus026163

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I recently picked up a Leica 35mm f2 summicron-r on ebay, my first Leica, really enjoying the image rendition and bokeh when shooting with my a7iii.

I noticed however that the bokeh is much stronger in the middle of my images, while on the extreme edges, the background is usually quite sharp even when I'm shooting at a closer focal distance and near wide-open aperture. Is there a way to mitigate this look or this quite typical on wide angle Leica lenses? See my sample image for example. In the center of the image, the background is out of focus with a nice strong bokeh. But in the top right corner, the tree is quite sharp.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

1971 2 cam version (Leitz made in Canada serial 2464797)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

The background looks fairly uniform to me.   You are not particularly close to your intended focus (I presume), so that will diminish the extent of out of focus in the background, even at f2 if that is the aperture you shot with using a 35mm lens.  The best out of focus here is the foreground leading up to the subject.  

Try shooting some other images with subject closer using the wider apertures.   Then see what you get.  

• Like 2