Pushed the shutter on a new Q2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

And I’ll be danged if they are hard to find in stock. 

I’m not thrilled about a 28mm focal length but I am thrilled the wife will not have to be told to focus when she takes a photo (my M10S cause wife thumbs down points).

Looking forward to having AF when out with the family.

Edited by 6bit
  • Like 1

I will report back.

I am an M shooter through and through (2-M10 and 1-M6). Wanting an EVF (My SL is too bulky) and AF for the wife has pushed me to make this purchase. With 40+ MP, it’s seems like a no brainer. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Camera came yesterday. I got it out and scanned through the menu and did a quick setup to get me by. First question, how is the shutter so quiet? I have an M10 and SL. Is this what the M10P shutter is like? Unreal.

Can't wait to get out with it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leaf shutters are quiet.  Electronic shutters are even quieter.   If your shutter speed was in excess of 1/2000s or if you have the electronic shutter option set to always on you were using the electronic shutter which is near silent vs the slight tick of the leaf shutter.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, marchyman said:

Leaf shutters are quiet.  Electronic shutters are even quieter.   If your shutter speed was in excess of 1/2000s or if you have the electronic shutter option set to always on you were using the electronic shutter which is near silent vs the slight tick of the leaf shutter.

Of course. Leaf shutter. I set the exposure to one second and turned off the extended shutter. Very quiet. My Sony's have electronic shutters so I am familiar with silence, I just couldn't believe the Q2 to be so quiet. This is a very unexpected and nice feature of the camera.

9 hours ago, 6bit said:

Camera came yesterday. I got it out and scanned through the menu and did a quick setup to get me by. First question, how is the shutter so quiet? I have an M10 and SL. Is this what the M10P shutter is like? Unreal.

Can't wait to get out with it.

It's a lot quieter than the M10-P I think....however that one does have a satisfying "thunk" to it. 

• Like 1

On 8/4/2020 at 5:06 AM, stuny said:

You'll most likely be more pleased with the 28 than you now think.  For decades I've used SLRs with zooms, but now my Q is my carry everywhere camera - Except for wildlife.

Stu: What are you using for wildlife.  Because of our new normal we are spending less time (ie: none) traveling and more time at our 'weekend' place. (driving distance from home).  I have set up some birdfeeders in my backyard and i have gotten quite a few pretty visitors-- my Q isn't gonna cut it from 50-100 feet away....

Edited by prk60091

2 hours ago, KenBennett said:

If you don't like the 28mm focal length, just set it to 35mm crop mode, and get useful frame lines and plenty of resolution. 

The 35mm focal length is considered the universal, do it all lens for Leica M cameras.  A 28mm lens is fairly close to the 35mm in terms of field of view. 

The 35mm lens' angle of view is 63°; with a 28mm lens, the  angle of view is  75°.  A difference, but not a big difference.

If 28mm feels too wide, take a good size step toward your subject.  Problem solved.

Edited by Herr Barnack
  • Like 3

My Q2 does all my wide work  the 28 on it really is that good!   for longer lenses I use a summicron 50 or my hasselblad with a 150 sonnar...I just need to find a reasonable M body next to have fun with the summicron,  prob an M4P, M3 or M2 

Like yourself...the Q2 is a real take everywhere machine

• Like 1

On 8/19/2020 at 2:26 PM, prk60091 said:

Stu: What are you using for wildlife.  Because of our new normal we are spending less time (ie: none) traveling and more time at our 'weekend' place. (driving distance from home).  I have set up some birdfeeders in my backyard and i have gotten quite a few pretty visitors-- my Q isn't gonna cut it from 50-100 feet away....

I put my Q2 on a tripod near where birds gather. Used FOTOS to take shots. FOTOS is a bit frustrating, but it works. I get closeups. A fun challenge. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 5

On 8/18/2020 at 6:45 PM, 6bit said:

Of course. Leaf shutter. I set the exposure to one second and turned off the extended shutter. Very quiet. My Sony's have electronic shutters so I am familiar with silence, I just couldn't believe the Q2 to be so quiet. This is a very unexpected and nice feature of the camera.

You’ll also discover that because of the leaf shutter the Q2 (and Q) will sync with a flash to 1/2000. Fantastic. This photo was taken using a Canon MR-14 RX ring flash. Manual mode only. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 6