Relation between AF mode AFs/Afc, and AF metering Tracking?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Have been enjoying making images with my SL2 and the vario-elmarit 24-90. However, still trying to learn and to improve my focus rate for moving subjects. I have been trying mainly AFc and Face/body tracking with a reasonable success rate of say 60-70% which I am hoping to improve with better technique. I have not yet tried the Tracking option of AF metering and its link with Afs and AFc as the manual says both can be used. 

First rule is to understand the limitations of the SL/2 AF system and second is to select appropriate settings to improve the success rate of AF tracking. When observed and selected appropriately, the clear focus success rate is in the 90% range.

Limitation:

1.   Do not select Drive mode faster than ‘Medium’ as stated in manual as ‘High’ drive mode will only lock focus after first frame.

2.   The focusing cannot be consistent when object is too small in frame.

3.   The contrast detect AF will not work properly when the AF object is too much underexposed or backlight is too strong

selecting the appropriate focus mode and focus tracking profile will make significant difference to AF success rate on tracking moving subject.