Brand New Leica Q - DNG Posterization problems??

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone, I've just bought a brand new Leica Q and I noticed some strange problem that I didn't know what to do about. I am shooting only DNG and when I review my photos on the camera's LCD all the files have some strange purple, yellow and pink cast over them and a small amount of posterization. When I transfer the DNGs to my computer they are completely fine and these problems disappear. If I shoot JPEG + DNG everything is fine as well. Does any of you noticed something like that and is it normal? I have the latest firmaware version 2.0 installed. Thank you very much. 

Some clarification: when you shoot DNG-only, the camera produces a low res jpg for immediate display on the LCD, so you are not seeing a DNG image. When you shoot DNG+JPG, you are being shown a downsized version of the high res jpg.

Nevertheless, I would not expect the low res jpg you see when shooting DNG-only to be as bad as you describe it. 

Edited by LocalHero1953

I've noticed the same thing, I think generally it's only been on low light or 3200+ ISO shots that it's been visible. As you said though it's no problem with the images themselves in editing so I haven't been too alarmed.

Good point above about Jpeg + DNG , may just switch to doing that instead of DNG only for those situations.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:18 PM, ConnerLawson said:

Hello everyone, I've just bought a brand new Leica Q and I noticed some strange problem that I didn't know what to do about. I am shooting only DNG and when I review my photos on the camera's LCD all the files have some strange purple, yellow and pink cast over them and a small amount of posterization. When I transfer the DNGs to my computer they are completely fine and  Speed Test essay writer these problems disappear. If I shoot JPEG + DNG everything is fine as well. Does any of you noticed something like that and is it normal? I have the latest firmaware version 2.0 installed. Thank you very much. 

thankyou my issue has been solved

• 3 weeks later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/7/2020 at 12:56 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

How was it solved? (For the benefit for future generations.....)

Likely shooting DNG + JPEG instead of DNG-only.

On 8/2/2020 at 12:54 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

Some clarification: when you shoot DNG-only, the camera produces a low res jpg for immediate display on the LCD, so you are not seeing a DNG image. When you shoot DNG+JPG, you are being shown a downsized version of the high res jpg.

Nevertheless, I would not expect the low res jpg you see when shooting DNG-only to be as bad as you describe it. 

The low-res preview with DNG-only setting is indeed quite poor, although if you don’t zoom in, you may not notice until you take a shot with a fine gradient that shows posterization. Leica is not alone here — embedded previews in RAW files are not so great.