Predictive Focusing on S3

Deliberate1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

...and also backings. We know that the M10 (and -R and -M) sensors are optimized to fit in a very thin body, which is why they can't be cooled effectively for video. The same compromises will limit the amount of data that can be extracted from extreme shadows (heat=noise). There's a reason why astro cameras have active cooling.

On 8/8/2020 at 12:32 PM, BernardC said:

The only way that the S AF performance can be significantly hastened is by redesigning the lenses to use significantly smaller/lighter focusing elements, and focus-by-wire. That's what they did with the SL lenses.

The downside is that you lose all manual focus feel, and the character of the lenses is compromised. You would also end-up with a conflicted camera that has the best viewfinder ever, and lenses that are frustrating to focus manually. All focus-by-wire lenses are, it's a problem that hasn't yet been solved.

I'm not sure those changes would go over well with the S' core customer base, which is high-end professionals specializing in fashion, editorial, and lifestyle.

To put things a different way, here's what a photographer told me after having a look through my S: "if I had a viewfinder like that, I wouldn't need AF!"

Kind of makes you wonder then why they don’t release a few manual focus lenses for the S system, since from the best I can tell hardly anyone uses the AF system?

3 hours ago, paulsydaus said:

Kind of makes you wonder then why they don’t release a few manual focus lenses for the S system, since from the best I can tell hardly anyone uses the AF system?

The Leica TS-APO-Elmar-S 120mm f/5.6 ASPH is one such lens.

On 8/14/2020 at 9:10 AM, glenerrolrd said:

I have asked the question about AF many many times since the Beta tests .  Leica has been steadfast in refusing to answer any questions about the AF system .  Consistently I get “off  the record “ from highly reliable sources ....they did not change the AF between the S 007 and the S3 .  

If that’s the case, someone really ought to point out to Leica that their marketing copy on their website, referring to a “revised autofocus system” should be taken down. This looks like false advertising to me which is illegal in most jurisdictions...

Edited by paulsydaus

9 hours ago, Sarnian said:

The Leica TS-APO-Elmar-S 120mm f/5.6 ASPH is one such lens.

I tested it. It is a very good lens and easy to operate. Since it has no motors, it is not heavy. The same lens is available in systems by other manufacturers. I need something wider, but it does not exist for the S.