MCM1

Collapsible 'cron doesn't focus wide open?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Appreciate the expertise here to advise if this is an easily solvable issue, or I've bought a dud and need to send it back?

Collapsible 50mm Summicron arrived today. I bought it for the IIIa, but put it on an M10 for some test shots. Stopped down, all seems well corner-to-corner, but wide open at F2 is way out and gradual improvement in each stop up to about F5.6-F8, then it seems fine.

The images are F11 sharpest, F5.6, then and F2 which is way out. 

Many thanks. 

Hi,

How are you focussing and what on?

The f2 photo looks like the front of the bag thingy is more in focus tha the flower or brickwork.

Test the collapsible Summicron on your IIIa as well.
If the focus is best on film, the adapter used on the M10 might be too imprecise.
If the image is out of focus even the IIIa rangefinder is precisely adjusted, send it back.

Ok, many thanks. I was focusing on the metal flower for every shot, didn't move.  

I did wonder if it may be because of the M10 and adaptor, but that doesn't seem to have made a difference on other LTM test shots for 50mm & 35mm Elmar, and a Summar just recently. 

If I process a roll from the IIIa and it's still the same, is it more likely to be a problem that may not be a cheap fix? I'd rather let the seller know as soon as possible. 

Did you focus with the M10 RF, or with Live View and magnification? Try mounting on a tripod, focus with the RF first, then switch to live view, magnify and adjust for sharpest focus. If the focus point is different, and you can get a sharp picture with live view, the lens focus cam needs calibration, but stopping down enough hides that with increased DOF.

If you can't get a sharp focus with Live View, something else is wrong internally, and I'd return to sender.

This may seem redundant, but did you firmly lock it into place after extending the lens? Sort of a conundrum if indeed it is a lens issue, since the stopped down pictures suggest the optics are ok...a qualified repairperson might find something like a bent out of sort flange merely needs to be readjusted for the extended and locked position. I'd at least ask the seller to discount the price for the cost of a CLA..otherwise I'd return it.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Did you check the focus when changing the aperture between exposures? 

Was the screw to M adaptor a genuine Leica one? I have read other topics where people had problems with non-Leica brand adaptors.

Thanks for responses.

I have just taken test shots again on the M10-D but on a tri-pod, same focal length/focus. Auto ISO & Speed. I did the same for the 50mm Summar, 50mm Elmar 3.5, and the 35mm Elmar.

The M-adapter is Leica.

So the Summicron at F2 is again, really out of focus. But at F2.8, it greatly improves. So with such a big jump, I can only think that something needs an adjustment.

The Summar is not great wide open either, but the 35mm Elmar is incredible wide-open at F3.5, sharp and contrast.

So I have to think if i should live with it and never use F2, or send it back. If I keep it I will take it in somewhere in London (recommendations?) for a look. I'll let the seller know as well. It's a beautiful lens, but to keep the IIIa as my main everyday-carry camera and not take out the M's, I need a really good lens. I am considering either a rigid 50mm, or the special edition in 2001. Use the older lens for fun and different looks. 

These shots are the Cron at F2, then improvement at F2.8, F4 and F16. I'll also post shots from the other lenses to show difference on same camera, same settings. 

These are the:

50mm Summar wide-open at F2

50mm Elmar wide-open at F3.5 (my best 50mm so far out of the three I have).

35MM Elmar wide open at F3.5 (fantastic lens). 

And while I'm on the Summicron Collapsible subject;

Does the later ITDOO hood grip better than the earlier version? The later has two sets of grips compared to just one?

(Its a separate subject, but getting Viewfinders, Hoods and Caps for all the lenses is more expensive than the cameras).

Posted (edited)

The double set of grips on the hood with the wider chrome band is so that when you reverse it over the lens It clips on. The narrow chrome band hood will reverse on but with just the felt band inside holding it.

i don’t have a wide band ITDOO to compare but I do have a wide band IROOA.

There is a different lenscap to go over the reversed hood.

Edited by Pyrogallol

Odd about the Summicron at f2, you would think that it would be the edges that were going out of focus at full aperture but looking at the mat in the bottom right of the picture that is in focus.

Reading posts in other areas of the forum it’s digital users that seem to love discussing “focus shift” !