Parting with my S system is a difficult decision

SaW

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After using my Leica S007 for 4 years and using an S2 for 2 years before that I finally took the decision to put my S system for sale.
A few weeks ago I had the opportunity to buy a second hand Fuji GFX 50s in a like new condition and for a very reasonable price.
At the same time I was in a frustration period with the S.
Every now and then I become irritated by the S system. This frustration period typically disappears and leaves place for an unconditional love...

This time it was because of the S-35mm I was using. I acquired it new a few months ago and was very happy with it at first. It is lighter than the S-45mm I had before and the 28mm equivalent focal length pleases me better.
But this lens has strong focal plane field curvature and I've found it more and more difficult to get sharp enough results all over the frame with it.
Overall I find the S system the best I've ever used (including Hasselblad H - Phase One IQ180 - Nikon and Sony in the mix).
But making landscape images with deep and homogenous depth of field was frustrating me.

Compared to newly acquired and easy to use Fuji + GF 45mm and to its excellent results I then took the decision to sell my S kit.
I’m still not fully convinced this is the right decision. First because the resale value is so low these days but also and most importantly because the image quality of the S + S lenses really shines.
The IQ is in another league from all the rest of the equipment I was able to possess when I succeed to put all elements together.

The EVF and lack of reactivity of the Fuji are real concerns to me but I hope I’ll be able to cope with it after a while.
I’m getting older and lazy and the lightweight and easy to use GFX system seduces me.
But I suspect I’’ll miss the S artistic way of drawing light.

However I believe I no longer fit in the right photographer profile for an S user.
I would be glad to keep this camera, as some of you guys do, and use it intermittently with the Fuji for their strengths, at least with the S 70 & 120mm lenses. But it won't be wise financially speaking.

So God speed the S system and a huge thanks to all of you for sharing your advices, experiences and recommandations over this camera with such gentleman manners.
It was a real pleasure to come by and read your posts.

Edited by SaW

SaW,   Sorry to see you give up on the S system.  I did the same as you and tried both the Fuji and Hasselblad systems, only to find my sales plummet with my clients.  I found my clients did not like the color (wasn't a color management issue either) nor rendering of either of the aforementioned camera systems.  Like you, my work resides in landscape photography.  So, I found new homes via eBay for the Fuji and Hasselblad systems, went back to the S007 and superb S lenses, now have the S3 and it is most excellent.  My clients and private collectors all came back as they vote with their wallets.  Frankly, I am glad that I came back to the S system as it is in a class unto itself.  Perhaps you will find yourself returning one day as well.  In the meantime, keep creating.  r/ Mark

• Like 1

I tried and sold the X1D and four lenses. I use the GFX 100 and it works. It is easier to shoot, easier to focus, has IBIS, and a wider range of optics - 17mm to 350mm, and I use the whole range. ... but ... every time I take a picture with it, I wish I'd used the 007.

I notice that I haven't sold any of my S gear. I think I'll be using it again!

Matt

P.S. The Contax 350mm can be adapted to the S. I should try it... oh, it weighs 8 lbs. Never mind.

Edited by mgrayson3

2 hours ago, glenerrolrd said:

I went with the HB 300/4 and the Leica H to S adapter .  Works great .  Not something I would walk around with ..but I can handhold it quite easily and shot little league baseball with it . 

Same with me. Works well, its sharp, and with decent af on the S. And a plus for 1.7x extender. 

I have had a 350mm f4 FE lens for Hasseblad V and used that with the S, but I found it very hard to get acceptably sharp images until I tried it on Riis wooden tripod. Even with mirror lockup and a 3 series Really Right Stuff tripod, there was too much vibration. That said, even with the tripod it is not so sharp and has CA. It works better a bit closer in than at infinity...like all the FE lenses it has fantastic bokeh, so it could work for portraits or compositions where sharpness is a lower priority, but I don't think it would work as a general purpose lens for the S.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Long time S user, I have also owned x1d for many months (for its more compact size) and checked out a Fuji 50 for some weeks.

While the Fuji and Hassy work fine for me the S and its lenses and rendering is the system I decided to stay with. I just really like those lenses, the rendering and the OVF.

I am sometimes frustrated with the AF though, but decided its my best bet.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, tom0511 said:

I am sometimes frustrated with the AF though, but decided its my best bet.

Yes, the S has some AF limitations , but the AF can be overridden with a real mechanical focusing ring and it’s not too difficult to focus the S with  its wonderful optical viewfinder. 

P.S. bought the S3 today. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 11:06 AM, helged said:

Same with me. Works well, its sharp, and with decent af on the S. And a plus for 1.7x extender. 

Leica's website says that 1.7x extender does not work with H to S adapter. Does Hasselblad's 1.7x work for you?

6 hours ago, SrMi said:

Leica's website says that 1.7x extender does not work with H to S adapter. Does Hasselblad's 1.7x work for you?

It works tecnically, but the af cannot be trusted, so manual focus is needed. With dark viewfinder (because of the extender), manual focus requires some daylight. So not a all-dancing-all-singing solution, but it works... 

• Thanks 2

On 8/3/2020 at 7:19 PM, ynp said:

Yes, the S has some AF limitations , but the AF can be overridden with a real mechanical focusing ring and it’s not too difficult to focus the S with  its wonderful optical viewfinder. 

P.S. bought the S3 today. 

Congrats, Evgeny

• Thanks 1

On 7/31/2020 at 11:39 PM, LeicaR10 said:

SaW,   Sorry to see you give up on the S system.  I did the same as you and tried both the Fuji and Hasselblad systems, only to find my sales plummet with my clients.  I found my clients did not like the color (wasn't a color management issue either) nor rendering of either of the aforementioned camera systems.  Like you, my work resides in landscape photography.  So, I found new homes via eBay for the Fuji and Hasselblad systems, went back to the S007 and superb S lenses, now have the S3 and it is most excellent.  My clients and private collectors all came back as they vote with their wallets.  Frankly, I am glad that I came back to the S system as it is in a class unto itself.  Perhaps you will find yourself returning one day as well.  In the meantime, keep creating.  r/ Mark

Do you have a website or online image portal showing off your images?  I have a GFX 50S and have long looked at the S system for landscapes, but haven't yet managed to convince myself that the limitations of the S are worth the (significant) extra expense. For travel and overnight/expedition/mountain images, I use my M240 with 3 "m" lenses.

Amateur here, but this is the kind of color I got with the S that I've never been able to get from other systems. I'm certain it's possible, but I don't know how.

Matt

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by mgrayson3
  • Like 5

And one more...

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

2 hours ago, mgrayson3 said:

Amateur here, but this is the kind of color I got with the S that I've never been able to get from other systems. I'm certain it's possible, but I don't know how.

Matt

+ the rendering of the S-lenses. Not as optically perfect as the SL-line of lenses, but with 'character'. 

• Like 2

Helged,  Spot on.  The other interesting aspect of S lenses, there are no corrections done internal to the camera.  The S lens optics render what one sees through the OVF.  For me, that is a key aspect when creating photographs with the S system, what you see is what you get.  r/ Mark 

• Like 3