walidq

Transfer RAW from Leica to iPhone FREE

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey gang,

I'm new to Leica (2 months or so) and I am astonished that Leica charges you to transfer DNG files from the camera to your phone?!!!

I was wondering, is there any way around this besides using a lightning SD Card reader? I'm thinking 3rd party apps or something along those lines?

Your advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Walid

23 hours ago, convexferret said:

Except that they don’t. Please check the app carefully.

Sorry, what do you mean?

Exist. 3rd party apps. Or charge. Leica.

23 hours ago, jaapv said:

Exist. 3rd party apps. Or charge. Leica.

Am I missing something here? My Lieca FOTOS app definitely asks me to pay for the subcription to transfer DNG files. I can transfer JPG free of charge, but it doesn't allow me when I choose the DNG format. Do you care to elaborate please?

That applies to the integration with Lightroom mobile. As far as I am aware it is possible to import DNG for use with Snapseed or similar through the free app.
Disclosure: I cannot think of any reason to transfer DNG files to a phone. Editing is severely limited anyway and can be done just as well on a JPG, it takes ages and will clog up the limited memory of the phone.  

Posted (edited)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I think we are heading in this direction.  I just opened my Android copy of Fotos 2.1.1 and connected it to an M10-R.  The Android version didn't say silly things about looking for the pasted QR code on the bottom of the camera (the iPad version makes that mistake), and connection was quick.  I reviewed some pictures already taken and then downloaded one.  I have DNG only on the card.  Fotos offered two choices Preview or full DNG.  I selected DNG.  It then went straight into the pages that sell me a "free version" of Pro, which requires a credit card and is free only for 1 or 2 weeks.  Having to pay for things that still aren't working very well after a year in public development does not make me an enthusiastic, willing, customer.

Has anyone figured out which of the public faces (Stefan, the other Steffens, Jesko, Maike... ) of Leica's products is responsible for this abomination?  So that they can be made to suffer for it until Leica does a proper job? This is not rocket science.  

OTOH, just to check, I went to my iPad, which was offered two variants of Fotos 2.1.1.  I chose the plain version, not the Pro version.  It also connected to the M10-R, which it had registered before. It asked me which version I would like to download, and downloaded the full DNG in a surprisingly short time without asking me for money.  Go figure.

Edited by scott kirkpatrick

41 minutes ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I think we are heading in this direction.  I just opened my Android copy of Fotos 2.1.1 and connected it to an M10-R.  The Android version didn't say silly things about looking for the pasted QR code on the bottom of the camera (the iPad version makes that mistake), and connection was quick.  I reviewed some pictures already taken and then downloaded one.  I have DNG only on the card.  Fotos offered two choices Preview or full DNG.  I selected DNG.  It then went straight into the pages that sell me a "free version" of Pro, which requires a credit card and is free only for 1 or 2 weeks.  Having to pay for things that still aren't working very well after a year in public development does not make me an enthusiastic, willing, customer.

Has anyone figured out which of the public faces (Stefan, the other Steffens, Jesko, Maike... ) of Leica's products is responsible for this abomination?  So that they can be made to suffer for it until Leica does a proper job? This is not rocket science.  

OTOH, just to check, I went to my iPad, which was offered two variants of Fotos 2.1.1.  I chose the plain version, not the Pro version.  It also connected to the M10-R, which it had registered before. It asked me which version I would like to download, and downloaded the full DNG in a surprisingly short time without asking me for money.  Go figure.

Haha, thanks for your input! I am seeing a lot of conflicting statements across the internet, which doesn't instil me with confidence. One thing I do know for sure is the app on the iPhone doesn't allow for DNGs to be trasnferred free of charge. Annoying.

When I connect to my CL this is the download menu that I get on my free copy of Fotos. I then took this image of my iPhone 11pro using my TL,, downloaded it through Fotos, tweaked a bit in Snapseed and Image Size and posted it through my phone  I would suggest user error  or maybe you are using an old iOS that cannot handle DNGs  

3 hours ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

The QR code is not on the bottom of the camera but part of the connection dialog on the LCD screen, which in my case works flawlessly. 

Exactly.  When I registered my M10-R on the iPad with the plain 2.1.1. Fotos, it instructed me exactly as if it thought this was the M10-D, which sounds like someone wasn't checking their app code very carefully.  But I knew that.  Also, on any M that shows the QR code on the back of the screen you have to wait for the code to appear, because the WiFi isn't ready for you until then.  On the 10-D, you use the blinking green LED to know when to connect -- just after it stops blinking. 

Posted (edited)

I think the confusion is that, when you first open the Fotos app, if you choose the big red "Leica Account" button and login with your Leica account (that is created when you register your camera on Leica's website), your "trial period" starts and if you don't opt out in 7 days, you'll be charged $50 annually.

If however, you choose "Skip" below the big red button, then you can still proceed with the WLAN camera-to-phone setup (a one time thing; just tap on your camera in the app next time you use it to connect to the camera). After the WLAN setup is complete, you can still transfer images to your phone. No trial period or subscription needed.

I figured this out because I did sign up for the trial period at first, then deleted the app (and also turned off the subscription on my iPhone under Settings>My Name>Subscriptions), and then reinstalled it and this time chose "Skip". I was still able to transfer photos from my CL to my iPhone this second time around.

Edited by dadu007
spelling