Which half case for the M10?

Raid Amin

10 hours ago, Matlock said:

Last year I posted about this case. It left a pronounced mark on my M10's covering and when I checked, I found that the stiffening material had a very sharp edge. From the replies (including photos) it was clear that a number of changes had been made so this problem may have been overcome. Otherwise quite a nice half case. I changed to a Luigi.

Thank you. 

12 hours ago, pedaes said:

Serious question, have you guys with the battery door noticed any increase in sensor dust?

Not sensor dust. More concerning would be the complete lack of any waterproofing. Most cases with battery door has just a leather cover with a magnet. Not that Leica has any for the base plate but it does cover the base completely. 

Edited by rramesh
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, Raid Amin said:

I would not get a half case with access opening to memory card and battery. I am content with the old fashioned method of opening the bottom cover to do this. I would worry about water damage from strong rain during storms.

A lot of other things are more worrisome in the rain on an M than that bottom cover.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Raid Amin said:

I would worry about water damage from strong rain during storms.

Really?  Do you take an M out in strong rain during a storm knowing the base plate is gonna save your camera and lens?

I am totally open for all sort of arguments - even old fashioned methods that might be more attractive, no problem at all with that - but water damage is not a very convincing argument in the discussion regarding a access door in a half case versus a half case with the base plate still mounted.  Like jdlaing said, the absence of a bottom plate (in a half case) is not something you should worry about in the first place during rain.  Or storm.

• Like 2

Any battery compartment should be dry at all times and the base plate does provide decent cover protection. In a shower, water may trickle down the space between case and camera and wet the base. Plus if you accidentally place the camera with case on a wet surface you will have a problem. Of course you can then remove the case but you will need to have carried the base plate with you. Otherwise you would render the camera inoperable.

• Like 1

Your choice of course, but then again you can't go wrong with a Arte di Mano case without the door 😀.  I've had Luigi's back in the days of my M9.  Not a night and day difference with the Arte di Mano, but still not the same nice fit.  But of course that was 10 years ago, and I cannot imagine the quality over the years did not improved.  His website however....

21 minutes ago, Stef63 said:

Your choice of course, but then again you can't go wrong with a Arte di Mano case without the door 😀.  I've had Luigi's back in the days of my M9.  Not a night and day difference with the Arte di Mano, but still not the same nice fit.  But of course that was 10 years ago, and I cannot imagine the quality over the years did not improved.  His website however....

I have a Luigi case on my M10-D and the fit is superb. His website does leave a great deal to be desired but he is very helpful if you contact him.

• Like 1

I am very lucky with my Oberwerth half case in light line/dark brown with battery and SD card door. The quality is very good. And the door is no problem at all.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Thanks for all the great tips given here. I have emailed Luigi about getting a specific Luigi line half case and in a color that I cannot find posted by him. He emailed me back twice, and he will have a special run just for the color that I asked for within 10 days. It will cost an additional 10 EURO.This is excellent service.

1 hour ago, Stef63 said:

I eventually set my budget to be not much higher than $200. I own several Leica RF cameras, plus Contax and Nikon and Canon. If I were to use cases by Arte di Mano for each camera I own, I would have to see off some of the cameras first. Then I will need fewer cases too ... 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Raid Amin said:

Thanks for all the great tips given here. I have emailed Luigi about getting a specific Luigi line half case and in a color that I cannot find posted by him. He emailed me back twice, and he will have a special run just for the color that I asked for within 10 days. It will cost an additional 10 EURO.This is excellent service.

Please post pics when you get the case.  Curious about the special color.

15 minutes ago, Raid Amin said:

set my budget to be not much higher than $200

Is Luigi doing a case for you at that price? For that budget I would go A & A if they do a M10 case. I have an A & A case for my M2 and its a nice fit.

Edited by pedaes

22 minutes ago, pedaes said:

Is Luigi doing a case for you at that price? For that budget I would go A & A if they do a M10 case. I have an A & A case for my M2 and its a nice fit.

They do a M10 case and, as I posted earlier, my one badly damaged the camera covering as the lining had very sharp edges. I believe this problem has been addressed but they are pretty basic cases anyway.

2 hours ago, Stef63 said:

Please post pics when you get the case.  Curious about the special color.

It is a color that Luigi provides to the Harmony line of half cases, but he did not do so for the less costly line that he sells via ebay. The $190 package deal (half case+strap+shipping) comes in 2 colors only right now. Loden Green and some type of blue. I wanted the Cognac Brown.