Which half case for the M10?

Raid Amin

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When I used half cases, I got excited and bought several Luigi, Arte di Mano and a Classic Cases one.  By far, I appreciated the finesse and craftsmanship of the Arte di Mano.  Nothing compares but these days, I try to be minimalist, using only a small shoulder bag along with wrist straps.

13 hours ago, crimlarks said:

Great question Raid!  I also just bought and M10 and have been looking at what half cases are available and recommended.  This thread is very helpful.

Have you reached a choice, and will you pay $500+ for an Arte Di Mano half case, or will you "be practical" and get a no-name-made-in-China $60 half case?

Then you will have freed up $500 for something else :)

On 8/9/2020 at 7:08 PM, ymc226 said:

When I used half cases, I got excited and bought several Luigi, Arte di Mano and a Classic Cases one.  By far, I appreciated the finesse and craftsmanship of the Arte di Mano.  Nothing compares but these days, I try to be minimalist, using only a small shoulder bag along with wrist straps.

I could buy any half case on the market, but I feel like getting a nice looking half case that provides some protection for the M10. I have a question for Luigi cases users here.Is there a real major difference between hand stitched half cases and the machine made ones?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Another vote for Arte di Mano.  They also have a very wide range of leathers, different quality, different texture, different colours.  I definitely wouldn't go down the exotic leather route, but Cordovan is just wonderful - two types, Italian Shell Cordovan and Horween.  Yes, they are expensive, but so are Leica cameras!  

12 minutes ago, T25UFO said:

Another vote for Arte di Mano.  They also have a very wide range of leathers, different quality, different texture, different colours.  I definitely wouldn't go down the exotic leather route, but Cordovan is just wonderful - two types, Italian Shell Cordovan and Horween.  Yes, they are expensive, but so are Leica cameras!  

Yes, they can be costly. I will go over what they have at the Leica Store in Miami maybe.

3 hours ago, T25UFO said:

I would definitely consider the cordovan model if I was in the market for a case. All my shoes and wallets are Horween cordovan and they age and patina beautifully. Look at the Arte do Mano website directly. 

9 hours ago, Maverick1st said:

Anyone have any experience with the ARTISAN & ARTIST half case? 

I was looking at the Leica half case the other day and dont love the fact that it needs to be screwed into the tripod mount. 

Last year I posted about this case. It left a pronounced mark on my M10's covering and when I checked, I found that the stiffening material had a very sharp edge. From the replies (including photos) it was clear that a number of changes had been made so this problem may have been overcome. Otherwise quite a nice half case. I changed to a Luigi.

10 hours ago, Maverick1st said:

I was looking at the Leica half case the other day and dont love the fact that it needs to be screwed into the tripod mount. 

Leica have been using this method of attaching their camera cases since the 1920s so probably a bit late to get them to change now. 😊

The battery and memory card access door, besides the excellent fit and finish, is a big plus for the Arte di Mano for me.  Instead of having to remove the half case, then remove the bottom plate to change batteries or memory card, then put the plate back and then the  half case.... you simply open the leather door on the bottom of the Arte di Mano.  Even more easy and faster than when shooting the M naked.