Wide angle on the SL2

Gavin Cato

You could buy or rent the SL 16-35. It is the best wide-angle I ever used. And add next year the SL21 (or maybe a year later). It is clearly better than the WATE, but the WATE is by far the smallest, if this is important for you.

Or go a completely different way and use a Contax Distagon 2.8/21 until the Summicron SL 21 comes (12-24 months).

Edited by caissa
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Jared said:

Thanks!

When I (rarely) used the SEM 21mm on SL2, I was quite happy. Then I argued on the German forum with an M10R reviewer who claims that M lenses work better on SL2 than on M10R. I started testing my own M lenses and encountered the 'corner issue' with SEM 21. Now that I know about it, it bothers me :(.

Am 30.7.2020 um 02:10 schrieb John Z. Goriup:

My very strong & earnest suggestion would be the Leica 16-35 SL 3.5-4.5 Super-Vario Elmar. Its performance across the range is at least as good as any of Leica's prime lenses of equivalent focal length, in several instances demonstarbly better, and you have it all from the eminently usable wide end of 16mm to 35mm.......and as jaapv sagely observed -"who needs speed in such a lens". Sharp, smooth, minimum distortion, superb color rendition, and the prints are stunning. For what it's worth, I traded up from my one previous favored ultra-wide lens, the wonderful 21mm f3.4 Super Elmarit about a year after I got my first SL and only after taking the 16-35 for a lengthy test-drive. Nota bene, it was a very convincing & conclusive test of the Vario lens. 

As you alude to, the only downside for you may be its size & weight, although it's smaller and slightly lighter than the 24-90, BUT, and this is a big but, with the 16-35 you will have a the effective equivalent of a whole bag full of superb Leica wide-angle primes at your disposdal with the twist of the zoom ring.

JZG

100% agreed! Even though I‘m a „convinced“ prime lens - user (SL-Apo‘s 35&90) I must admit the SL 16-35 is absolutely impressive. Highly recommended. When the SL-Apo 21 will be released (in 2021) I‘m in doubt which lens to buy...first world problems, of course😉.

Edited by panoreserve

I took out my SL2 and the 21 SEM in a Leica M to L mount adapter today to see if i could see any problems at the edges.  I could see a slight decrease in contrast, and I am sure that the SL APO Summicron 21, when it becomes available will do better, but I concluded that there is no problem for any reasonable size use.  Here's an example, at f/5.6 and focus at infinity:

\

U1040395 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr 

and the tilted corner to corner version, shot at f/4:

U1040388 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

both were rendered at 100%, so you can click through to Flickr to see more detils.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 7/29/2020 at 2:01 PM, anickpick said:

The most versatile ultra wide angle lens in m mount is the WATE 16-18-21 imo. Stopped down to f 5.6, it is sharp across the whole frame. Beautiful colors.

The ultra wide Voigtländer lenses suffer toward the edges and also exhibit some aberrations.

The Sigma 14-24 in L mount bests them all, but it is much bigger and heavier.

I found this interesting.  I’ve had the WATE for years but have used it rarely. The Frankenfinder + WATE was only really useful with the M on a tripod in my experience. You could get wonderful results, but it was clunky. The EVF on the M10 helped, but it was rarely used.  The SL2 has transformed its utility,  but I’m still not sure if it’s going to get a lot of use. I’m now wondering if the Sigma 14-24 will be the answer. It’s big, but for interior commissions (the most likely use) it may give the flexibility and IQ I need. However good the Leica 16-35, I’m not sure it will earn its keep for the 4 or 5 gigs a year it will be needed.

So I’m asking myself: “Stick with the WATE or sell and use the money to get (probably) L mount Sigma 14-24 and 24-70...”

Has anyone been asking the same question?

1 hour ago, scott kirkpatrick said:

I took out my SL2 and the 21 SEM in a Leica M to L mount adapter today to see if i could see any problems at the edges.  I could see a slight decrease in contrast, and I am sure that the SL APO Summicron 21, when it becomes available will do better, but I concluded that there is no problem for any reasonable size use.  Here's an example, at f/5.6 and focus at infinity:

\

U1040395 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr 

and the tilted corner to corner version, shot at f/4:

U1040388 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

both were rendered at 100%, so you can click through to Flickr to see more detils.

Considering the size/weight of the 21SEM, sharpness and resolution are very, very good. (Almost) Surely, the 21Cron-SL will put the bar higher. But 21SEM is still a fantastic lens.

I think I've answered my own question by taking the WATE for a walk this morning.  SL2 + M>SL adapter+WATE accompanied by M Macro-Elmar 90mm f4 all in the Thinktank Speed Changer 3 (https://www.thinktankphoto.com/products/speed-changer-v3-0) on a back pack belt.  

ADVANTAGES:

1. I've already spent the money on the WATE and I have it with me!
  2. I can carry the SL2 + WATE and another M lens in a small pouch all day.  Much as I love my little Sigma 45, this does give a lot more flexibility.  If I want macro I have the M adapter that fits in a pocket.
  3. The WATE behaves impeccably on the SL2

DISADVANTAGES

??

I think the pictures below prove the point.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

On 7/30/2020 at 8:24 AM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Are you going to try this or shall I?   I have both SL and SL2 and the 21 SEM.  Don't have a 10-R at present to distract me.  I have concluded that full field sharpness with M28 Summilux and M24 elmarit-asph takes just a bit of stopping down on the SL2.  I prefer the 24 on an M frame, but would use the 28 on either.

Unfortunately, I no longer have a 21mm SEM, so I can’t try it.

18 hours ago, chris_tribble said:

I found this interesting.  I’ve had the WATE for years but have used it rarely. The Frankenfinder + WATE was only really useful with the M on a tripod in my experience. You could get wonderful results, but it was clunky. The EVF on the M10 helped, but it was rarely used.  The SL2 has transformed its utility,  but I’m still not sure if it’s going to get a lot of use. I’m now wondering if the Sigma 14-24 will be the answer. It’s big, but for interior commissions (the most likely use) it may give the flexibility and IQ I need. However good the Leica 16-35, I’m not sure it will earn its keep for the 4 or 5 gigs a year it will be needed.

So I’m asking myself: “Stick with the WATE or sell and use the money to get (probably) L mount Sigma 14-24 and 24-70...”

Has anyone been asking the same question?

Jono Slack also seems to be a believer.  He's had a WATE since it was offered at a discount to early M8 victims.  And even though it is therefore a 15 year old zoom design, it is the smallest imaginable 16-21 for the whole range of cameras. 

Hey guys

I would have liked the Leica 16-35 after reading all this but after buying a SL2 + 50/1.4 + 90/2 in the last 3 weeks my marriage would have been on shaky ground - she wants a new kitchen!

I ended up getting a L mount Sigma 14-24/2.8 - it's raining heavily here so I haven't tried it outside yet but from test shots in my house it seems quite sharp and it's not a bad size physically. I think I'll use it and then see how happy I am with it when a native SL wide angle prime comes out whenever that is.

Thanks for all the info.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Hey guys

Here's the first 'real' shot from the Sl2 with the Sigma 14-24, shot at 2.8 at i think about 20mm from memory.

It probably looks soft on here with compression but the full sized file is really staggeringly sharp.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 9

On 8/7/2020 at 11:19 AM, Gavin Cato said:

Hey guys

I would have liked the Leica 16-35 after reading all this but after buying a SL2 + 50/1.4 + 90/2 in the last 3 weeks my marriage would have been on shaky ground - she wants a new kitchen!

I ended up getting a L mount Sigma 14-24/2.8 - it's raining heavily here so I haven't tried it outside yet but from test shots in my house it seems quite sharp and it's not a bad size physically. I think I'll use it and then see how happy I am with it when a native SL wide angle prime comes out whenever that is.

Thanks for all the info.

Good choice. Apart from difficulty using filters it's an outstanding lens. My preferred optic for interiors where my TS lenses aren't wide enough and a fantastic travel lens.

Gordon

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/1/2020 at 3:19 PM, scott kirkpatrick said:

Jono Slack also seems to be a believer.  He's had a WATE since it was offered at a discount to early M8 victims.  And even though it is therefore a 15 year old zoom design, it is the smallest imaginable 16-21 for the whole range of cameras. 

Ah well - I ended up trading it in and getting the Leica 24-90 and Voigtlander 15 mkIII.  ... VERY sharp, light and renders well.  I'm happy.