challa

Thoughts on the Leica Q2 as a first Leica camera

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello everyone,,

It's a great camera. It's expensive for what it gives you, but there's not a lot of competition in it's category, and it's a Leica product, so that's pretty much a given. You can think of it as an insanely high end smartphone camera - it has about the same field of view as an iPhone camera - and much like most smartphones, you can only zoom in by cropping down (so you only get 47mpx at 28mm).

But it gives a professional-DSLR-grade image in a very compact size with all mod cons like autofocus and an evf. As long as you're looking to use it for the kind of photography that you do with a 28mm lens, you won't want for another camera.

9 hours ago, challa said:

Hello everyone,,

you won't want for another camera.

Agreed. So why do you call it "a first Leica camera"?

vor 12 Stunden schrieb challa:

Hello everyone,,

It's a great camera. It's expensive for what it gives you, but there's not a lot of competition in it's category, and it's a Leica product, so that's pretty much a given. You can think of it as an insanely high end smartphone camera - it has about the same field of view as an iPhone camera - and much like most smartphones, you can only zoom in by cropping down (so you only get 47mpx at 28mm).

But it gives a professional-DSLR-grade image in a very compact size with all mod cons like autofocus and an evf. As long as you're looking to use it for the kind of photography that you do with a 28mm lens, you won't want for another camera.

... yes, and in addition it is imo a haptically and visually more interesting object than a smartphone.

Expensive yet value at the same time. FF Leica and 28mm Lens will set you back 10k. So for 4k its not too bad.

I think its a bit dangerous do compare it to an iPhone though. From my experience you have to work harder with the Q2 to get an image that looks immediately as good as a mobile phone. i.e. the phone will blend a plethora of different exposures together, to reduce noise and improve sharpness, then balance out the shadows and highlights so nothing Clips (get over or underexposed) and then spits it out all in under a second. The Q, aint going to do that.

So. If the ultimate simplicity is what draws you in and having a finished image immediately it important, a phone is the best thing there is.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Yes, I agree - comparing iPhone and Q2 (I have both) is an odd thing to do . . . .Q2 is a tremendously capable, complex photographic tool that requires the user to have a high level understanding of and experience with photography to really make it work to its full capacity - at which point, it would radically surpass an iPhone.  But that is a big caveat.

Friend who own RV told me anyone into RV is likely to buy three. The first is usually very primitive, thinking a RV is big enough, then he will find its to limited, so the second I would be over luxury, soon he will find out something for n between is the way to go.

Buying camera could be similar. The first one is likely decided by the budgeting, and then go for the most flexible most advanced, after struggling, if lucky and wise, something in between may be identified. 

I think Q2 might be that something in between, but I doubt who gets it as the first camera would be settled. He is likely going out to complete his adventure before knowing what is the best fit for him.

On 7/29/2020 at 1:30 AM, challa said:

Hello everyone,,

It's a great camera. It's expensive for what it gives you, but there's not a lot of competition in it's category, and it's a Leica product, so that's pretty much a given. You can think of it as an insanely high end smartphone camera - it has about the same field of view as an iPhone camera - and much like most smartphones, you can only zoom in by cropping down (so you only get 47mpx at 28mm https://snaptube.cam/ 9apps).

Thank you,.

On 7/30/2020 at 12:30 AM, JTLeica said:

From my experience you have to work harder with the Q2 to get an image that looks immediately as good as a mobile phone

I think you make a good point..... I’ve worked pretty hard to get a photo from  my Q to look as bad as an iPhone photo.....haven’t quite  managed it yet.

On 7/28/2020 at 4:00 PM, challa said:

You can think of it as an insanely high end smartphone camera.

you can only think that if you're insane. The only similarity between Q2 and smartphone camera is that they're both approx 28mm. Beyond that they are 2 completely different beasts.

On 7/28/2020 at 11:00 PM, challa said:

Hello everyone,,

I am not sure I get your point:) Is it expensive for what it gives you? Does it give pro grade image in a compact size? What is the value of the latter to you to make the former statement?