Q/Q2 lens cap

This is a very common issue - Virtually universal, and often discussed on the forum.  As the inner liner wears the cap is easily knocked off with the slightest touch.  As a temporary fix you might want to put one or two small pieces of duck tape/gaffers tape on the inner rim.  My favorite replacement, and a bit more expensive than the Leica original is the Match Technical Leica Q replacement cap from Thumbs Up.  It costs just under USD50 in the US.  Thinking a swinging lens cap would be annoying while shooting I initially didn't use the included tether, but after knocking of the cap once I connected the tether.  The tether's length is just right, and the cap does not get in the way.  I also like how the braided red tether looks with the elegant simplicity of the Q.

There are many other replacements, some nice looking, some far from it, some much more expensive, and some far less dear.  You will most likely eventually buy a replacement.

• Like 1

i settled for a   "op/tech usa hood hat"    which i find to be a not very elegant looking but extremely functional  neoprene cap that covers lens hood and lens barrel all the way back over the focus ring;  provides great protection, can easily be stuffed into any pocket, does not attract dirt, and is well made.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It always surprises me  - in the world of design at large and certainly in this case  - when you are dealing with a VERY HIGH END product - and the designers just so obviously FAILED on one small but nevertheless important detail.  The Q2 is a remarkable camera - very high end, super premium price, very well designed - and then for some reason, on 'the day' they designed the lens cap, its like they just tossed all of their standards out the window and settled for nonsense, so unbecoming of the standard (and the price).

• Like 1

I got fed up with the lens cap falling off - luckily, it makes so much noise when it hits the ground that you're unlikely to miss it parting company with the camera.

Two things cured this...

1. Some tape inside the rim to make it jam on to the hood a bit tighter;

2. Realising that the hood and a UV filter are plenty protection enough and the cap's best use is to stop gunk and fluff getting in there while the camera's not being used.

Now I only put the cap on at "close of play", when the camera is going in the case. Most of the time, I leave it behind when I'm out and about.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine was easily knocked off just removing it from the camera bag.  I opted for the expensive Overgaard lens shade and a 49mm squeeze type cap.  The original Leica hood and cap now sit in the box in pristine condition.  I am quite satisfied with the set up, plus changing filters is a cinch.  I think there are less expensive lens hoods available now.  Search this site for other discussions.  

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...