For the non-metered M camera: KEKS EM-01 Light Meter

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I just discovered this little jewel and it looks like a good possibility for M cameras with no built in light meter.  Priced at $130 USD, it won't break the bank.

KEKS EM-01 Light Meter Review

https://casualphotophile.com/2020/07/27/keks-em-01-light-meter-review/

Available at the end of August from F Stop Cameras: https://www.fstopcameras.com/accessories/keks-em-01-light-meter

• Like 2

I use a Voigtlander meter on my M3.  The KEKS meter is enormous!  Design looks overly complicated too ( too many buttons).  The reveni labs option looks more interesting for the price, but the 3D printed plastic screams cheap, which is not a great aesthetic match for a high precision vintage camera.  I think they could outsource a CNC machined aluminium case from china and it wouldn't add that much to the manufacturing cost.  Also I hate the branding on the front.  Discreet is better.

It is good that there is some competition for the Voigtlander meters which are overpriced in my opinion, but these options are not interesting enough for me to click buy.  

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 7/27/2020 at 2:54 PM, Herr Barnack said:

I just discovered this little jewel and it looks like a good possibility for M cameras with no built in light meter.  Priced at $130 USD, it won't break the bank.

KEKS EM-01 Light Meter Review

https://casualphotophile.com/2020/07/27/keks-em-01-light-meter-review/

Available at the end of August from F Stop Cameras: https://www.fstopcameras.com/accessories/keks-em-01-light-meter

Did you order one?

I've just put one on order after watching a YouTube video, it seems very well thought out especially as the foot can be moved to suit different cameras. The price seems remarkable, even with UPS postage (oh no!).

I've been using the Reveni for just over a month. The tiny buttons are a bit fiddly but overall it's quite accurate. It's worth spending the time with a known meter and a gray card to make the adjustments. You can adjust the EV from -2 to +2 in .33 stops and for additional fine tuning there is Calibration mode with adjustments in .01 EV from -20 to +20. I love my Sekonic 308 and even have an original Gossen Pilot from the mid  sixties that is still quite accurate but the little Reveni fill the gap between sunny 16 and carrying an additional piece of equipment. Here is the M4 with the double shoe mount:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

On reading here about the meter I ordered a KEKS from their website and delivery was projected to be about two months......then I saw them being offered "in stock" by an UK shop/website so I asked KEKS to cancel and refund my order which they did in without a problem, but on going back to the UK shop all the meters were by then sold out and back-ordered. I took this as a cosmic sign and went back to my Leicameter MR and frankly if you've one of these in good working order there's little good reason to upgrade to a newer variety because it works well, and it fits my M-A very nicely. The great advantage of course is it's coupling to the shutter speed dial which removes one camera setting step, that's something that the other meter choices can't offer and I find that feature very handy.

Agree about the Leicameter. I am pretty sure these shutter dials were designed for use with the meter mounted. So much easier to set shutter speed on the bigger knurled wheel. And it does remove one setting. Now about cosmic signs...I could have used a few more over the years.

I got the Keks meter, and the riveni. The riveni is tiny. The advantage for me with an early M3 is that the Keks has more steps in shutter priority mode covering the 50 and 100 steps rather than 60 and 125. The difference in exposure is minimal unless you were using slide film I suppose but it is nice to be able to match things up. 

22 hours ago, petermullett said:

On reading here about the meter I ordered a KEKS from their website and delivery was projected to be about two months......then I saw them being offered "in stock" by an UK shop/website so I asked KEKS to cancel and refund my order which they did in without a problem, but on going back to the UK shop all the meters were by then sold out and back-ordered. I took this as a cosmic sign and went back to my Leicameter MR and frankly if you've one of these in good working order there's little good reason to upgrade to a newer variety because it works well, and it fits my M-A very nicely. The great advantage of course is it's coupling to the shutter speed dial which removes one camera setting step, that's something that the other meter choices can't offer and I find that feature very handy.

It doesn't work so well on other cameras, LTM for example, if it did I'd dig out one of the many Leicameters I've acquired over the years. I'd like something other than a hand held meter for my Fuji medium format rangefinders as these beg to be used quickly hand held. It's not that there aren't other options for metering, but the best option is the one that sidelines all the other options.

I have to say that I am not at all impressed by the Leicameter MR. Nothing to do with the performance as I have two, one which I use and another brand new still in it's box. My problem with them is the number of M series Leicas that I see with the top plate absolutely massacred by users who have not found out how to mount them on the camera correctly. Whilst they are great to use (if fitted correctly) I still find the Voigtlander VC II a better bet. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Matlock said:

I have to say that I am not at all impressed by the Leicameter MR. Nothing to do with the performance as I have two, one which I use and another brand new still in it's box. My problem with them is the number of M series Leicas that I see with the top plate absolutely massacred by users who have not found out how to mount them on the camera correctly. Whilst they are great to use (if fitted correctly) I still find the Voigtlander VC II a better bet. 

......Yes, I was aware of the possibility of damaging the top plate on the M-A so I simply covered the base of the MR with a piece of black paper camera tape and of course I take care mounting the meter too. It stays on the camera most of the time anyway. I'm also aware that the MR will only work well with the M's that have the notched shutter speed dial, but anyway we use what works for us and for me the MR and/or one of my way too many handheld meters gathered over the years does the trick............Otherwise I am certain that the KEKS or the Reveni have their place in the toolkit and will do the job just fine.

the keks is wonderful...spot on accurate with an acceptance angle of a 90mm lens ...LOVE Mine 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 6 months later...