Do you use Q2 With digital zoom

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’ve always cropped - 35mm film prints and digital files. Probably says something about my woeful composition skills!

My Q2 arrives tomorrow so I haven’t had a chance to play yet but I bought it partly knowing I was likely to rely on cropping and the size of the file gives plenty of scope. Personally, I’d like the option of having the EVF magnify the image to show the selected crop (either in full or with selected frame lines, such as a 50mm crop with 75mm framelines) to help me make sure I’m not standing too close and unintentionally introducing geometric perspective distortion. If previous experience is to go by, I’m unlikely to stick to the designated crop - I’m more likely to use the full DNG and crop to what suits the photo, but at least I’ll have been standing in roughly the right place to start with!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
On 8/8/2020 at 10:16 PM, nicci78 said:

what about the lost of pixel ? Try Gigapixel AI from Topaze labs. Then asked yourself if you still need 47MP at 75mm. Because Gigapixel can make up for the lost pixels from 7 ou 47MP. 

Thanks for the tip! I was not aware of this Gigapixel AI software - I have just installed a trial version of it and the results are - amazing!!

On 8/8/2020 at 1:11 PM, nicci78 said:

Please not that Q2 already works like a quad lenses cameras. It is more than a simple crop. The Q2 will meter, set white balance and auto focus only within the crop lines. So it is really convenient. 

Assuming this is correct, it changes my way of thinking as I mostly use field metering. I tend not to use the camera’s crop function and crop, if at all, from within capture one. Typically the crop is towards the 35mm range so perhaps not much of an issue but for me, I also only shoot in RAW. I will now look into the crop function on the camera. 

Edited by Marc B-C