Do you use Q2 With digital zoom

It's a useful feature.

The 75 mm crop is more than adequate for internet posting

I often use the crop feature. I shoot DNG + jpg, so I always have the full-size file.

Edited by Viv
  • Like 1

vor 15 Stunden schrieb Viv:

It's a useful.

I shoot DNG + jpg, so I always have the full-size file.

Even if you shoot in DNG only you have the full-size file. In LR it opens with the crop you choose while shooting. When you hit the R-key, the full-size pic is there. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, WeiterWinkel said:

Even if you shoot in DNG only you have the full-size file. In LR it opens with the crop you choose while shooting. When you hit the R-key, the full-size pic is there. 

Thanks. I don't use Lightroom.

• Like 1

I haven't tried with the Q2 yet, but I used to shoot video with my old Q with the digit zoom a lot, shooting concert footage. It produced a full HD video zoomed in, with very good quality. I'm hoping the Q2 will do the same, I just haven't been to any concerts recently for obvious reasons.

I always try to do my zooming with my feet - particularly if I am planning on making prints.  If you are making prints, lopping off 1/3 to 3/4 of the image file defeats the purpose of having a 47mp sensor, as you end up with a smaller file and less printed image quality.

If I am making images to post online, I am less concerned about cropping; when we post here, we have to keep our file size to under 1 mb so cropping is not so much of a concern.  If an image can be made stronger by cropping it to a panoramic or square format, I will do so for online posts. 

For printing though, I want to use as much of the Q2's 47 megapixels as possible.

YMMV.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Herr Barnack said:

I always try to do my zooming with my feet - particularly if I am planning on making prints.  If you are making prints, lopping off 1/3 to 3/4 of the image file defeats the purpose of having a 47mp sensor, as you end up with a smaller file and less printed image quality.

If I am making images to post online, I am less concerned about cropping; when we post here, we have to keep our file size to under 1 mb so cropping is not so much of a concern.  If an image can be made stronger by cropping it to a panoramic or square format, I will do so for online posts. 

For printing though, I want to use as much of the Q2's 47 megapixels as possible.

YMMV.

I read somewhere, saying anything beyond 24mp or so is for cropping, unless you want to print the picture in the size of a football field.

2 hours ago, Einst_Stein said:

I read somewhere, saying anything beyond 24mp or so is for cropping, unless you want to print the picture in the size of a football field.

I think there's some truth in that, even though I am averse to serious cropping.  Another purpose of having a camera with more than 24mp is increased resolution and image quality at all print sizes.  That is where my interest lies.

My M-P 240 certainly hauls the mail at 16x24 inch print size and even at 24x36 inches.  The larger size is still exhibit quality but you can see a difference compared to the 16x24 size.

Oliver Klink [ https://www.oliverklinkphotography.com/ ] works with the largest sensor cameras made by Hasselblad and his prints are staggering in terms of resolution; part of his image quality is likely due to post processing, but a lot of it is due to sensor size. 

As for me, I have put in my time hauling around a Hasselblad 503cw and lenses and have happily found a very viable alternative in the Leica M and Q2 series cameras.

• 2 weeks later...

Been shooting with the Q2 for about a year and had an idea to improve the usefulness of the digital crop feature..

What if instead of maintaining the 28mm frame view as you cycled through the 35, 50 and 75mm crops, the frame view increased slightly to display as 35mm for the 50 crop and 50mm for the 75 crop..  

See illustration below - does anyone think this is doable in a firmware upgrade?

Alan

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

It is doable. But Leica won’t do it. 
They are so stubborn 

They want to give you the pseudo M viewing experience. Which is excellent with wide angle. But very poor with telephoto.

Please not that Q2 already works like a quad lenses cameras. It is more than a simple crop. The Q2 will meter, set white balance and auto focus only within the crop lines. So it is really convenient. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

It is doable. But Leica won’t do it. 
They are so stubborn 

They want to give you the pseudo M viewing experience. Which is excellent with wide angle. But very poor with telephoto.

They should give the end user the option to do that in some menu setting. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Not Leica style. Just buy a Japanese brand for end user option 

True that. But not everyone is interested in a rangefinder experience, especially with the 50/75 crops. 
I have the 1.25x magnifier on my M10 for 50/90 shots, but it’s stupid not to have this option on a evf. 

• Like 2

Actually I suggested to Leica that very same system when the original Q were launched in 2015. Guess what ?
Such feature never come. 

I just stopped chasing windmills with Leica. They are too stubborn. They were not wrong to simulate rangefinder experience. They are not right either by not providing a kind of 1.25x or 1.4x magnification option. 

They want to keep it simple. I can understand that. 

75mm crop is quite a challenge to use. But with practice it is ok. Not harder than 75mm lens with 0.68x digital M rangefinder.  
So I guess that it is ok 

Edited by nicci78

I fought the crop functionality at the beginning of Q2. Just because of small 50 and 75mm frame lines. 
I was already converted to 35mm crop since original Q. 
Then I give 50 and 75mm the chance to shine. So after several months of heavy usage of crop mode. I came to the conclusion that my Summilux-TL 35 and my Summicron-R 50mm and Summarit-M 50 were useless. Just a bunch of dead weight. 

Q2 crop mode quality is awesome. No need for dedicated lenses for 28 ; 35 ; 50 & 75mm.
Of course Summilux-M 35 ; Summilux-M/Noctilux-M 50 & Summilux-M/Noctilux-M 75 will be better than Q2 crop mode.   
But typical prime lenses or zooms within 28-75mm range won’t be needed anymore. 

what about the lost of pixel ? Try Gigapixel AI from Topaze labs. Then asked yourself if you still need 47MP at 75mm. Because Gigapixel can make up for the lost pixels from 7 ou 47MP. 

• Like 3