Thinking of upgrading my "new" Leica T...

11 hours ago, cj3209 said:

Right now, a good price on a good condition CL (8/10) would be around $1,500, give or take a few hundred...In fact, that's what I got mine for...lol...

Thanx, good to know. I was looking at a deal for €1300 but seller decided  to keep it after all... 

On 8/5/2020 at 5:15 PM, MarcW said:

And to rephrase my first question: is upgrading from the T to either the CL or TL2 really worth it IQ wise? I know the jump from 16 to 24MP, do you noticeably win in ISO performance, DR, focusing speed? I have the two amazing Leica Vario-Elmar  zoom lenses now, tempted to add a 2nd body, but only if it's definitely worth yet another investment. 

Like you, i have a T and wanted to increase the IQ and the crop capacity. The T is beautiful but not the best camera to shoot with (It depends of course of what you like to shoot) and the jpeg quality is very poor. I used to shoot with the 23mm and the 18-56mm.  For me now the 18mm is the better option.

I bought the CL to improve my aps-c experience with leica. The CL is in all domain much better than the T, no doubt about it. But the T is unique and i still like to shoot with.

The truth is,  i am not impressed with the TL lenses, except with the 35mm. 

Most of the time i use the CL with the 18-56mm. A very versatile and good combo.

But i get the best IQ with the M lenses 35 and 50 summicron.

To sum up, i wanted to own a T and i love it because it’s a masterpiece. 

The CL Is a very good camera but cost a lot of cash to obtain his essence. 35mm and 60mm (i guess, did not use it) and of course m lenses.

Previously I was shooting with a canon 6d and most of the time with 50/1,4 & 85mm/1,8. 
The T is not in competition at all. but the Canon gave me most of the time better results than i have with the CL

Cheers

• Thanks 1

Thank you Torpille, helpful information.  I'm looking at a TL2 now (including EVF), but will it bring enough improvement to justify the investment? Everybody says it will be a major improvement over the T indeed (you lose the flash but I hardly use it anyway). My lenses are both the Vario-Elmar (18-56 and 55-135). I never shoot JPG (and the TL2 will finally give me the choice to only shoot DNG). Guess I could sell the T with the Sigma 45mm I bought recently as well. Choices... Guess I'm having a serious case of LBA, but there are worse things to suffer from.

It will be much better than the T. And you can get the TL2 used at very very low priced. In France it was sold around 900-1000€ in excellent condition still under warranty. 

So it is quite a bargain compare to CL or even the T.  

But in my opinion CL is better. Better DNG and faster AF.  And it is still supported by Leica (new firmware wise). Just keep in mind that Leica seems to have give up on TL line up since the end of 2018. Due to lack of the much needed firmware update. You will never be able to use some fancy new features from Sigma or Panasonic L-mount lenses.

But if you shoot ultra wide angle and macros. TL2 with tiltable Visoflex and its digital distance and depth of field scale is a must

Edited by nicci78
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I find the best combo to be CL and TL. The TL2 does not bring anything to the party that the CL does not offer. and the TL is more than good enough to satisfy the "T-feeling" without breaking the bank.

I don't see much advantage in getting the TL2 for UWA or Macro. Get the Visoflex for the tilted viewing.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, jaapv said:

I find the best combo to be CL and TL. The TL2 does not bring anything to the party that the CL does not offer. and the TL is more than good enough to satisfy the "T-feeling" without breaking the bank.

I don't see much advantage in getting the TL2 for UWA or Macro. Get the Visoflex for the tilted viewing.

That's quite interesting since I understood the TL to be just a minor upgrade over the T. So would you suggest to stay with the T or upgrade to CL? Or should I read it differently? I just want to make sure I'll get the best out my (Vario-Elmar) lenses (since you mentioned breaking the bank 😉)

49 minutes ago, MarcW said:

That's quite interesting since I understood the TL to be just a minor upgrade over the T. So would you suggest to stay with the T or upgrade to CL? Or should I read it differently? I just want to make sure I'll get the best out my (Vario-Elmar) lenses (since you mentioned breaking the bank 😉)

TL2 is a very big improvement of the T/TL.

very close to the CL

But for me is the question:  what do you shoot most of the time ? If it’s action, i would say go for the CL over the TL2. 

EvF is not a great implementation on the T line up

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Torpille said:

TL2 is a very big improvement of the T/TL.

very close to the CL

But for me is the question:  what do you shoot most of the time ? If it’s action, i would say go for the CL over the TL2. 

EvF is not a great implementation on the T line up

I don't have a specific subject, but I do like to do some street if i have the chance (which is not easy these days). Good to read the TL2 would be an improvement. I really like the menu on the T (and its design!), think I know part of CL's menu from my Q... (Yes I'm spoiled I guess, but this is the Leica Forum after all.)

2 hours ago, MarcW said:

In your place I would keep the T and get a CL 

• Thanks 1

15 hours ago, MarcW said:

Whut? How so?

Deutsche Telekom think that everything with a sole T branding is too confusing with their T-Mobile brand. This why Leica was sued to change their Leica T branding. 
It is a typical case of a big company bullying a smaller one for no reason. Just like Apple suing everyone trying to use something related to an apple and or a pear. 

So TL = T with 32GB instead of 16GB and chamfered edges. And the addition of a third colour option : Titanium. Otherwise everything else is the same. 

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Deutsche Telekom think that everything with a sole T branding is too confusing with their T-Mobile brand. This why Leica was sued to change their Leica T branding. 
It is a typical case of a big company bullying a smaller one for no reason.

As interesting as ludicrous... 

19 hours ago, jaapv said:

In your place I would keep the T and get a CL 

Found one in  black, at 40% of the current new price. Second owner, have been in contact with the first owner as well. Will have a look at it next week. Quite exciting! 

• Like 2

Thank you all very much for your great input. In the meantime, I decided to give it more time. Can't really decide and after getting the T and adding no less three lenses, I'm giving a new meaning to LBA. Leica appears to be addictive, no surprise for many of you here, no doubt. So for now I won't be upgrading, but will start enjoying what I have 😃

On 8/10/2020 at 8:01 AM, nicci78 said:

It is a typical case of a big company bullying a smaller one for no reason. Just like Apple suing everyone trying to use something related to an apple and or a pear. 

So TL = T with 32GB instead of 16GB and chamfered edges. And the addition of a third colour option : Titanium. Otherwise everything else is the same. 

Couldn’t do it. Totally different product and service categories. The courts would have thrown this out before it even started.

• Like 1