Viewfinder dust on SL2

loalposo

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I have had my SL2 for a couple of months and have now noticed what seems to be dust in the viewfinder. I say in the EVF because it does not show in the LCD; also, I have checked the sensor, lenses, taken test shots against a white background, checked the sensor with a loupe (white and red light) and can't seem to find where it is. I have also cleaned the EVF as well.  This so called "dust speck" does not show in any images either.  Furthermore, the dust speck is black and seems relatively sharp when seen in the EVF. I know this may be minor but it is a nuisance nonetheless, as I am now aware and my eye immediately is drawn to this black speck of dust thus causing distraction with my composition. Has anyone experienced something similar? What advise and/or troubleshooting recommendation could you offer? Thanks in advance! Lorenzo

• 2 months later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Pfsteel,   Based on my decades with Leica, if you bought from a Leica dealer, they should simply swap out the camera.  If bought online, call the dealer and get a return authorization if needed and they should swap it out for you.  I know you are disappointed, but dust in viewfinders and lenses does happen, albeit rare.  I am certain you will get fixed up fast. r/ Mark  

15 hours ago, Pfsteel said:

I just received my new sl2 and it's got two bits of dust in the viewfinder urghh.  I only got it out of the box today :(

Did you get yours fixed?

I'm hoping Leica with just replace the whole thing given it's brand new.

I sent mine to Leica in NJ at the beginning of June when their service department was just reopening in a limited capacity and they fixed the issue and got my SL2 back within one month’s time. I have been hearing a lot about this issue. If you are within your store’s return period, you should return it and get a new one. Otherwise, go ahead and contact Leica in NJ ( they are really efficient, even at these times when everything seems to be out of whack). Unfortunately these seem not to be isolated incidents but they will get you sorted out. Good luck. Lorenzo 

Edited by loalposo

• 3 months later...

On my replacement SL2, the glue/lint appears on evf between glass elements after 6 months of use. I need to take it in again, but I am not sure if they with swap out for me again. This is a recurring problem on the EVF.... And I got unlucky 2nd time.... The size and shape of the lint look exactly the same a the last time, and similar to the photo on the earlier post...

So mine was returned after about 4-5 weeks.  It was clearly a repair as they had replaced the leather wrap and according to the paperwork also cleaned the sensor.  They had removed the lint.  Tbh, I’ve not used it since it was returned (so busy with work).

They didn’t replace the unit and I think(?) their policy is that they replace only if you receive it and then return immediately before any use.  For me, I was just going off to Colorado a week after receiving it so I needed the camera.

I think there’s a flaw in the manufacturing or assembly process and the quality checks aren’t picking it up.  I suspect it’s rotating the eye cup adjuster that loosens or frees up lint caught up somewhere.

All that said, the images from this camera and lens combo are amazing an sharp as a tack..

• 8 months later...

I got my SL2-s a week ago. Love it. In the last couple of days a dust spot has also appeared on my EVF, exactly as described and pictured above. Indeed I have been adjusting the diopter, seems to make sense some dust came loose. Whatever the cause I am not keen to return the camera (shipped from overseas). Guess it will bother me though, I'll email the dealer...

I had this in my new SL2 (not the S).  Leica were happy to replace given I noticed it straight away BUT I was going away AND they didn't have any in stock.  When I got back from my trip I sent it back and they sent it away.  Took about 4 or 5 weeks from memory.  They had fixed the problem and also serviced it and replaced the leather wrap. Not had a problem since.

Just a shame that Leica must be aware of this problem and still don't check it before they ship.  I suspect its when you turn the EVF diopter that a bit of dust or rubber breaks off.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...