CL+Sigma 100-400 O.I.S.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I was holding off buying the 100-400 because when I tested the lens, I only had the CL body and it was all a bit weird for me at first. Now I have the S1R I decided to bite and buy the lens, it should be here tomorrow or Monday and I look forward to using it for nature/bird/wildlife.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Marac said:

I was holding off buying the 100-400 because when I tested the lens, I only had the CL body and it was all a bit weird for me at first. Now I have the S1R I decided to bite and buy the lens, it should be here tomorrow or Monday and I look forward to using it for nature/bird/wildlife.

Be interesting to see what you make of it.  I must be a bit weird, haven't really taken it off my CL even though I have the SL2.  My SL2 has had the sigma 24-70 on all this last week,  which I'm a little unsure of, however, I think Sigma should be supported and praised for their offerings in L mount.  Although I won't be a buyer for any of the three new primes, (I feel I have those covered with M mount and my 35TL),  they really round out the system more.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

11 hours ago, Marac said:

Well, it will replace the Vario-Elmar R 105-280 on the CL Huge and 1,7 kg.  Considerably different in weirdness ;)

• Like 2

The 100-400 is about 85-90% as good as my previous R 80-200 + 2x APO in overall IQ, but it's significantly easier to carry and my hit rate is maybe 20x higher. To say I'm satisfied is a wild understatement.  

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

Not really had a chance to fully check out the 100-400 yet but my first couple of rush shots on the CL did not turn out too well, the images look 'digitally shakey' however I am certain that is just human error as I literally put it on the CL and went 'snap snap snap'. After I have tested the 3 sigma APS-C lenses I'll give the 100-400 a proper run out.

Boojay - How did you set your CL and 100-400 up to get great results? maybe I have a wayward setting on my CL as I am always testing out various lenses with mine it may have a wonky setting.

@Marac

Biggest difference I have seen with my "success" hit rate has been by following something I saw @jaapv mention, which was to set it to electronic shutter, I've absolutely no idea why it helped, but it did and does when using AF-C.   Other than that for birds, butterflies etc, Drive Continuous - High, AF-C, generally stick with spot AF or sometimes field, keep an eye on SS trying to keep ISO as low as possible, and have mostly left the lens wide open.  I don't tend to use Auto ISO on the CL and mostly shoot in aperture priority mode, underexposing generally by around 2/3rds of a stop in good light.  

I'm quite confident with the 100-400 that the image stabilisation can work down to 1/20 (or maybe less for some with better hands than me) but of course when shooting birds or anything that breathes or moves you are not going to get sharp images with less than around 1/200 preferably more as you know, this of course is the downside of a slower lens and  tests the CL's higher ISO ability, but I'm a happy bunny so far.

I am extremely lazy, have never bothered to set profiles, leave it on auto WB, but find it quick enough with menu's to change any and all parameters on the CL, I do tend to check in any session after first couple of shots and can usually see what needs changing.  Like most I expect, plenty of images hit the bin!!!

Edited by Boojay
typo + added comment
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

testing the 1.4x extender. Handheld but braced against a bridge at 1/160. Overcast and f/9 @ ISO 400.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by bags27
  • Like 7

Finding that at low shutter speeds (say <1/200), not so easy to get crisp. But possible, although another 10 were blurry. This at 1/80, 1600 ISO, 400mm. 

• Like 5

and a crop, not quite full, about 70%, wanted to show bug and top of leaf. Lovely rendering. C1, but no sharpening. 

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 9

I took the 100-400 with the CL and the S1R to Paxton pits a local nature reserve and I have to confess, I didn't nail a single shot with either. Now I have seen some fantastic shots of birds taken with a CL and this lens with a 1.4x converter so I am honestly at a loss. I came home and became deeply disappointed upon seeing them on my computer. I'm not a pixel peeper but at 100% none of them were sharp/focussed/whatever, I didn't have a single shot that I consider to be a keeper.

The lens will now be sold, anyone in UK want it let me know. I guess I'm just no good at shooting with a long tele-zoom. 

1/640 ISO100 CL with the lens OIS on 1

Just an update.

It would seem that my UV(0) filter may of affected the image, I removed it when I got home (I always use a filter on lenses that are lent to me for review or test).

I run a few more snaps around the garden and the lens performed a lot better.

My conclusion is this, at max 400mm wide open at f6.3 1/640th and close to infinity the lens (or my copy) is not of acceptable IQ (focus/sharpness/whatever)

At closer distance the lens performs to an acceptable level even at 400mm and wide open at f6.3

I have no idea if the UV filter was responsible or even if the heat played a part at the nature reserve. I took some shots of a group of Swans that were chilling by the hide and those shots are very good (400mm f6.3) 1/160th

At home I shot closer around the garden, even at 1/80th and the shots are acceptable.

I remain confused about it and will try to evaluate it again in the next few days with UV removed.

If anyone can offer any kind of advice or explanation I would surely appreciate it. There is certainly a lot of room for human error as I seldom shoot super tele-zooms.

photo taken at 400mm, f6.3, 1/160th, Panasonic S1R.

This was taken at the same location but a lot further away

400mm, f6.3, 1/640th, Leica CL

Edited by Marac

vor 2 Stunden schrieb Marac:

My conclusion is this, at max 400mm wide open at f6.3 1/640th and close to infinity the lens (or my copy) is not of acceptable IQ (focus/sharpness/whatever)

At closer distance the lens performs to an acceptable level even at 400mm and wide open at f6.3

mine is good enough at 400mm at f6.3, but close to infinity, mine too is not acceptable. 

I am not sure yet whether it is an OIS or a (auto)focus problem or both...

Your photo of the young swan looks ok to me. You may want to add a little bit of sharpening.

14 minutes ago, anickpick said:

mine is good enough at 400mm at f6.3, but close to infinity, mine too is not acceptable. 

Same here with the CL, especially when I use the extender. No problems and excellent sharpness when I switch to manual focus, which would seem to exonerate OIS . . . 

3 minutes ago, tritentrue said:

Same here with the CL, especially when I use the extender. No problems and excellent sharpness when I switch to manual focus, which would seem to exonerate OIS . . . 

Thank you, I think your photos of the birds you posted are excellent. I did not try the lens in MF, maybe I should. I have always been pretty useless at photographing Birds.

27 minutes ago, anickpick said:

Your photo of the young swan looks ok to me. You may want to add a little bit of sharpening.

I uploaded it as it was taken but yes I agree, with a bit of sharpening it should pop quite nicely, thanks.

This seems to be true of the Sigma 70 macro as well, in which I often use autofocus to get ballpark and then switch to manual for fine tuning. Easy enough to do given the switch's placement.

I have always shot teles with the electronic shutter (mainly because it's silent) and multi-field focal points (much faster and, generally, more accurate), and I know that jaapv has been urging use of the electronic shutter. 

• Like 1

One thing, according to a mail I got  from Sigma, AF lock will not work on the CL, so attempting to use half-press  may lead to unsharp results, i.e. the camera will refocus when recomposing. Multipoint focus and AFS might be the best setting.

12 minutes ago, jaapv said:

One thing, according to a mail I got  from Sigma, AF lock will not work on the CL, so attempting to use half-press  may lead to unsharp results, i.e. the camera will refocus when recomposing. Multipoint focus and AFS might be the best setting.

Definitely worth a try thanks, as is the manual focus option, especially for infinity focussing.