CL+Sigma 100-400 O.I.S.

I have been getting sharp images down to 1/20 at 400 + 1.4TC on the CL  image stabilisation is working, although it does remain greyed out in the menu.  When looking through the viewfinder you can even see the difference when using OS 1 and 2, and hear the motor humming.

Maybe worth adding, I use the Pan 24-105 image stabilised lens on the CL, which works just fine, and the OS menu item also stays greyed out on the CL.  I do not believe that is any indication.  Probably only recognises the Leica SL zooms.

So, I wouldn't go returning anything until you have thoroughly tested.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

In that case it is the lens. At 400 the lens still produces motion lur at 1/1000, It needs a tripod to get tack sharp. No humming, no result in the viewfinder.

Oh dear, nuisance.  Hopefully they will replace quickly for you.

• Like 1

Mine is sitting in a UPS truck that has been driving within 5 miles of my house since Saturday morning when it was supposed to be delivered. Now, I learn that it will be delivered "by 9:00 pm" tonight. Sure....

12 hours ago, geoffreyg said:

Lens rentals is suggesting updating firmware on CL. Will do soon. 

Just to confirm again, that the fact that the OIS menu option is greyed out does not mean it's not functioning.  But yes, you should definitely be running the latest firmware on the CL.  My CL is on latest firmware though and menu item still remains greyed out.  You can actually see the affect of the lens image stabilisation in the viewfinder, most especially in the "2" position, and you can hear the motor running.

Edited by Boojay
  • Like 3

8 hours ago, Boojay said:

Just to confirm again, that the fact that the OIS menu option is greyed out does not mean it's not functioning.  But yes, you should definitely be running the latest firmware on the CL.  My CL is on latest firmware though and menu item still remains greyed out.  You can actually see the affect of the lens image stabilisation in the viewfinder, most especially in the "2" position, and you can hear the motor running.

Jayne, what do you mean by "seeing the effect of the stabilization in the viewfinder"? Not sure I see anything, though it must be working because I'm getting razor sharp photos (just posted on the CL photo thread).

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

Jayne, what do you mean by "seeing the effect of the stabilization in the viewfinder"? Not sure I see anything, though it must be working because I'm getting razor sharp photos (just posted on the CL photo thread).

Ken, it's most obvious in OS 2, which is meant for panning shots, you can (or at least I think you can) see a slight sideways movement, sort of jittery then still.   Not sure I've explained that well😊!

• Like 1

Updated firmware from 3.1 to 3.2 and the OIS started working. So all good. I barely hear the motor, so the only way to know is that the image in the viewfinder has less shake, and feels more stable. That said, getting good shots at tele lengths still requires some fast shutter speeds. Its easy to get fooled, and think its OK with normal speeds (like a normal length lens) but its not. 1/focal length is good, 1/2xfocal is better. More tests today, but here's one at 400mm of a nice bird in the yard - had a lot of misses too. Very little DOF. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by geoffreyg
  • Like 8