To buy a Q2 or not?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, ianforber said:

Well, I decided to get a Q2. Ordered and on its way tomorrow from Leica store in uk, so may not arrive in time for the weekend, sadly). I decided not to go for the CL because I really wanted an aperture ring on the lens and some form of image stabilisation. Also, I’m thinking the CL is close to a refresh for CL2. 

Haven’t decided on thumbs-up, grip, half-case etc but will have a play with it first.

Ian

Congrats. Welcome. You’ll love it. Thumbs Up is a real improvement for gripping. Arte de Mano half cases are superb. Expensive too. Enjoy the journey! 

9 hours ago, Leica Guy said:

Congrats. Welcome. You’ll love it. Thumbs Up is a real improvement for gripping. Arte de Mano half cases are superb. Expensive too. Enjoy the journey! 

the Leica Thumb support is almost mandatory, if you ask me - slightly expensive.

For half cases, I would recommend Lim's:  https://www.amazon.com/LIMS-Genuine-Leather-Camera-Dovetail/dp/B07RB7X2BW/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=leica+q2+case&qid=1596677352&sr=8-3

I have one and it is really nice and functional.  Price is almost too cheap...

I agree the Lim cases look good. The problem is I’m used to using a Peak Design Capture Clip when hiking so that I can carry the camera on a strap across my body but easily clip my camera to my rucksack strap when I need both hands free and don’t want a camera swinging around (eg scrambling across a stream or over rocks/stile etc). That means having the clip screwed firmly into a tripod socket, ideally one roughly in the middle of the baseplate. I use a tripod a fair amount so the Lim’s built in arcaplate is handy, but it won’t clip into the peak design mount.

How do others manage when hiking?

On 8/6/2020 at 2:43 AM, ianforber said:

I agree the Lim cases look good. The problem is I’m used to using a Peak Design Capture Clip when hiking so that I can carry the camera on a strap across my body but easily clip my camera to my rucksack strap when I need both hands free and don’t want a camera swinging around (eg scrambling across a stream or over rocks/stile etc). That means having the clip screwed firmly into a tripod socket, ideally one roughly in the middle of the baseplate. I use a tripod a fair amount so the Lim’s built in arcaplate is handy, but it won’t clip into the peak design mount.

You seem like a pretty serious hiker to me!  I just put my camera in a small backpack while hiking and take it out when I want to take pictures.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 8/6/2020 at 3:43 AM, ianforber said:

Yep, I’m also a big fan of the Peak Design Capture Clip system when hiking. It’s super convenient. I use it with a Peak Design Cuff wrist strap. Super set up.

10 hours ago, Miltz said:

I had the Q2 and returned it. If you’re a landscape shooter you’re better off with something like a Z7 with the 24-70 F4. It’s probably the most compact and lightest setup with the best image quality for landscapes.

Out of interest, why didn’t you get on with the Q2? Was it the camera or the image files, or both? I’m interested/nervous to see how it fares with longer exposures using ND or IR filters. I don’t need more than 120 secs for smoothing water at waterfalls etc but not sure how IR will work. 

4 hours ago, ianforber said:

Out of interest, why didn’t you get on with the Q2? Was it the camera or the image files, or both? I’m interested/nervous to see how it fares with longer exposures using ND or IR filters. I don’t need more than 120 secs for smoothing water at waterfalls etc but not sure how IR will work. 

Well, I wanted to add it to my work flow of paid work. In a paid work environment the camera didn’t perform well. When it comes to landscapes my issue is that you are limited to exposure time as you raise the ISO, and the camera also blew out highlights very easy. My dream was to have the Q2 as both work and play, but unfortunately it didn’t work out for either. 
keep in mind I don’t have the extra $5,000 to have a camera just for fun. I loved the size and weight, and I kinda miss it. But when I look at my landscapes shots with the Nikon Z series I don’t regret returning it. Like I said for landscapes the Z7 with 24-70mm F4 is probably the best combo available if you care about size, weight, and image quality. When it comes to colors I really loved the Q2 colors right off the bat, and I think it has a edge there if you’re not a big editor. The IBIS is also better on the Z series, which for me person ally is important as I don’t always carry a tripod. Having a screen that tilts is also great for landscapes and after years of experimenting for my personal use having a real zoom is ideal for landscapes. Here is an example of a image I took with my Nikon Z that I don’t think would be possible with the Q2.

https://www.miltiathis.com/Fine-Art-Collection/i-HfvCT7K/A

Ultimately you can try the Q2 and see if it fits your workflow and style.

Edited by Miltz
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, dnease said:

Yep, I’m also a big fan of the Peak Design Capture Clip system when hiking. It’s super convenient. I use it with a Peak Design Cuff wrist strap. Super set up.

I use that same set-up.   When not deployed in picture taking mode the camera lives in a Peak Design 5L sling.  I guess you could say I like Peak Design products.

• Like 1

On 8/8/2020 at 7:17 AM, Miltz said:

Well, I wanted to add it to my work flow of paid work. In a paid work environment the camera didn’t perform well. When it comes to landscapes my issue is that you are limited to exposure time as you raise the ISO, and the camera also blew out highlights very easy. My dream was to have the Q2 as both work and play, but unfortunately it didn’t work out for either. 
keep in mind I don’t have the extra $5,000 to have a camera just for fun. I loved the size and weight, and I kinda miss it. But when I look at my landscapes shots with the Nikon Z series I don’t regret returning it. Like I said for landscapes the Z7 with 24-70mm F4 is probably the best combo available if you care about size, weight, and image quality. When it comes to colors I really loved the Q2 colors right off the bat, and I think it has a edge there if you’re not a big editor. The IBIS is also better on the Z series, which for me person ally is important as I don’t always carry a tripod. Having a screen that tilts is also great for landscapes and after years of experimenting for my personal use having a real zoom is ideal for landscapes. Here is an example of a image I took with my Nikon Z that I don’t think would be possible with the Q2.

https://www.miltiathis.com/Fine-Art-Collection/i-HfvCT7K/A

Ultimately you can try the Q2 and see if it fits your workflow and style.

Great pictures! 

The fixed lens is definitely a limitation on Q2, especially at the long end.  Looking at your sample photo, I am guessing you are pulling both at highlight and shadows.  Do you feel DR a major limitation for you?  Ever now and then I get blown highlight from Q2, but have been reluctant to underexpose (worrying about shadow noise).  

Well, my new Q2 arrived via UPS delivery late yesterday. Charged battery and took it for a walk today - pics posted in macro and normal image thread. I'm still learning and getting it set up how I want it, but my initial impressions are extremely positive: I though my Mamiya 7 was a quiet camera but this is insanely discreet! I didn't have any grip or case and I think handling will definitely benefit from something like that.

Images have an incredible amount of detail and can stand a lot of cropping. I didn't spend more than about 30 seconds processing each DNG image (in Luminar 4) so I haven't done them justice, but then I was only taking test shots rather than photos to keep.

The only downside - I managed to scratch the camera! I was wearing it crossbody so it hung around my right hip and happened to be wearing a pair of walking trousers with a metal zip - which I discovered scratched the paint off the black metal just above the right corner of the rear screen and on the edge of the top plate just above the crop button. Ho hum, no taking it back now!

On 8/9/2020 at 3:31 PM, vedivv said:

Great pictures! 

The fixed lens is definitely a limitation on Q2, especially at the long end.  Looking at your sample photo, I am guessing you are pulling both at highlight and shadows.  Do you feel DR a major limitation for you?  Ever now and then I get blown highlight from Q2, but have been reluctant to underexpose (worrying about shadow noise).  

Actually in that photo I didn't pull much. Nikon's natural profile gives you a pretty flat image. I don't think DR is a limitation on the Q2. I think the issue is the steep decline of DR vs ISO. I think the main issue is even in the most natural profile it's still isn't a flat image and the highlights tend to go out quick so I definitely underexposed. I wouldn't worry about shadow noise at all really, unless you plan on printing 20x30 or larger. Even the Nikon Z has shadow noise if pushed a lot.

I actually wanted to update you guys on something. All this talk made me go back and look at some of my tests files. Lucky for me I shoot the same thing over the years to do my shadows and highlights tests. Well when it comes to the shadow recovery the Q2 easily beats the Z6 when the Q2 is at 50 ISO and the Z6 is at 100ISO. When the Q2 is at 100 ISO it still beats the Z6 at 100 ISO. This is on the 3 stop recovery on an extremely dark image. I will say 50ISO on the Q2 is beautiful. So the shadow recovery isn't an issue on the Q2. As seen below I think the Q2 has better show recovery than the Z6.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Miltz