ISO Invariance

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, all. I shoot both the ME and the M9M, although the latter constitutes the majority of my work. One thing I love about it is it’s ISO invariance, ie, being able to dramatically under expose an image and then correcting in Lightroom by pushing the exposure up to 4 stops, maybe even 5. Although I don’t really need another leica, the M10M intrigued me because of the sheer size of its images.

So, is the M10M ISO invariant?  Thanks in advance. 

To clarify for others, you mean a "push" in LR is identical to a "push" by the camera processor at the moment of shooting.

Someone dicussing the M10R suggested that that camera employs "dual gain algorithms" - a change in-camera processing at the highest ISOs (above 6400?). Which is suggestive.

But whether that is actually needed or used in the unfiltered M10M, someone else will have to report.

Edited by adan

47 minutes ago, adan said:

To clarify for others, you mean a "push" in LR is identical to a "push" by the camera processor at the moment of shooting.

Someone dicussing the M10R suggested that that camera employs "dual gain algorithms" - a change in-camera processing at the highest ISOs (above 6400?). Which is suggestive.

But whether that is actually needed or used in the unfiltered M10M, someone else will have to report.

Dual gain is not Dual ISO, which is what I believe you are referring to. Although not a sensor engineer I believe that Dual Gain simply means that the signal goes through two amplifications steps of different magnitudes in parallel before being recombined, thus giving a sort of built-in bracketing type effect for better dynamic range. Dual ISO on the other hand does indeed mean the the signal processing changes at some point to one more appropriate for higher ISO output.

6 hours ago, AceVentura1986 said:

So, is the M10M ISO invariant?  Thanks in advance

YES! I'm not sure, but it looks like the M10M becomes ISO Invariant at 1600. You can take a look at this chart: https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_e.htm#Leica M10 MONOCHROM_14

Does this mean is ISO Invariant? I can't answer, I just suspect it.

• Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Dennis said:

YES! I'm not sure, but it looks like the M10M becomes ISO Invariant at 1600. You can take a look at this chart: https://www.photonstophotos.net/Charts/RN_e.htm#Leica M10 MONOCHROM_14

Does this mean is ISO Invariant? I can't answer, I just suspect it.

Yeah, not sure either but that’s an interesting graph. You’d think someone on this site with an M10M would Have tested this already.