Hoping that CL2 = mini SL2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

On 1/19/2021 at 11:45 PM, matted said:

Regarding video, I think there are a lot more people that wouldn’t buy the CL2 if it didn’t have video, than there are people not buying it because it has video. It would be retail suicide for Leica to remove it. 

I think having the video “mode” in the top menu is a great happy medium as it makes it extremely unlikely that one would accidentally record video, and makes it extremely easy for the camera to behave like a 100% stills camera. 

While I have zero interest in video - and if I did want video I have cameras in other systems that would be more suited to that function - I grudgingly accept the commercial requirement to include video function in a modern camera.

I'd quite like it if the top menu options could be customised to skip unwanted modes. Never use Scn? Omit it. Never use video modes? Omit them. Never use P or A or S or M? Omit them. If I've missed an option buried in the menus that already allows that customisation, please tell me.

• Like 1

Greyed out is removed. It makes no sense to design for a multitude of personal idiosyncrasies. Do you need “ Structure” for manual shooters? Or for photographers that shoot low light? Etc.  

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jaapv said:

Greyed out is removed. It makes no sense to design for a multitude of personal idiosyncrasies. Do you need “ Structure” for manual shooters? Or for photographers that shoot low light? Etc.  

we need full customizable body and it’s not difficult to do it 

a custom button instead of play button 

hidden icons in the menu if not needed

even a beginner programmer can do it 

Edited by cirke

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I agree it is feasible, and desirable, to make the menu customisable. The best software does this, not just greying out unused options. I've said before that the Sigma fp has a better (simpler, better organised, more intuitive) menu system than Leica. Sigma were there before Leica with the quick start menu, and Sigma's is customisable - you pick which functions appear there. 

Something I’ve always wanted is to customize my camera i.e. perhaps these camera companies could open up to 3rd party aps, like we have on our phones. I do believe this would give them a big boost. You would end up with custom film profiles, well you can imagine the flexibility, simply awesome !

We might tune up our choice of frame lines (edit: with some hardware innovation such as configurable LED’s)

An option to change up the control functions, or replace menus with icons.

There could a purist Ap designed to shut down the LCD and create a M10D without needing special production run. This might even get me into an M digital.

Let’s face it, most camera operating systems are poor, under invested in and they never seem to give us what we really want. Give us flexibility!

OK, I’m ready to march on the factory...

Edited by Mr.Prime

1 hour ago, Mr.Prime said:

Something I’ve always wanted is to customize my camera i.e. perhaps these camera companies could open up to 3rd party aps, like we have on our phones. I do believe this would give them a big boost. You would end up with custom film profiles, well you can imagine the flexibility, simply awesome !

We might tune up our choice of frame lines (edit: with some hardware innovation such as configurable LED’s)

An option to change up the control functions, or replace menus with icons.

There could a purist Ap designed to shut down the LCD and create a M10D without needing special production run. This might even get me into an M digital.

Let’s face it, most camera operating systems are poor, under invested in and they never seem to give us what we really want. Give us flexibility!

OK, I’m ready to march on the factory...

If you like messing around with apps why not just buy an iPhone and be done with it? Personally I prefer to take photographs.

29 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

If you like messing around with apps why not just buy an iPhone and be done with it? Personally I prefer to take photographs.

That’s what I am doing , most part of the time I prefer to take photograph with my iPhone , much more intuitive and best street camera ever produced 

and no messing around at all 

Edited by cirke

31 minutes ago, Le Chef said:

no, I don’t want to mess around with aps, I want a way forward to get the user interface I want, not be limited to the options provided by the camera manufacturer who may have limited resources to deploy

• Like 1

On 1/27/2021 at 1:50 PM, Mr.Prime said:

Actually Sony did it for a while, up to the A7rII. You could install apps on your camera that provided additional features:

https://www.playmemoriescameraapps.com/portal/

But like anything software-wise made by Sony, they were poorly designed. Remember those apps for the first iPhones? Imagine something like that, but even worse.

I never had an early iphone, I only got a cell phone at first because my employer wanted me to have email access during travel. After that, of course, I never looked back.

Well, the digital camera industry is still shrinking and rapidly, the phones with their flexible Aps are eating the digital camera market for breakfast!  I expect further consolidation will eventually be necessary.

I've been reading up on the just announced Fuji XE-4, interestingly to me at least, something very close to what a CL currently is in the Leica system.

When many users here are looking for an updated CL2 with IBIS, here's a new Fuji, made smaller with the rangefinder-styled body and no IBIS. I have no experience with the Fuji menu/submenu systems and how they work ergonomically, but the XE4 combination, couple with some of their great-looking and very well-priced primes, like the 14 or 16mm f2.8's, 23 or 35mm f2's and either the 50mm f2 or 56mm f1.2 that is a very compelling-looking outfit.